• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3

Reviving this thread since I am now part of the club. I picked one up last week. It came with the stock tubes and pairs of Gold Lion KT-66, some blue coloured EL34B, 6SJ7 Black Caps, and another pair of black caps but they don't appear to be exactly the same. I'm a noob tuber so go gentle on me.

Now someone locally is seeking a pair of Pavane Voice 6CA7 or something like that. What would I expect from that compared to what I already have?

And do you guys heard any hum on your 301 when music is not playing? I do and it is fairly noticeable but not so once the music is on.

Thanks
 
Reviving this thread since I am now part of the club. I picked one up last week. It came with the stock tubes and pairs of Gold Lion KT-66, some blue coloured EL34B, 6SJ7 Black Caps, and another pair of black caps but they don't appear to be exactly the same. I'm a noob tuber so go gentle on me.

Now someone locally is seeking a pair of Pavane Voice 6CA7 or something like that. What would I expect from that compared to what I already have?

And do you guys heard any hum on your 301 when music is not playing? I do and it is fairly noticeable but not so once the music is on.

Thanks

Hum is not uncommon on the 301 or other tube amps for that matter. It's not an issue if the only time you hear it is with highly efficient speakers at idle and your ear is near the driver. If you can't hear the hum when the music is playing don't worry about it. If your current tubes sound good I'd keep them. The best sounding tubes are usually vintage.
 
Hum is not uncommon on the 301 or other tube amps for that matter. It's not an issue if the only time you hear it is with highly efficient speakers at idle and your ear is near the driver. If you can't hear the hum when the music is playing don't worry about it. If your current tubes sound good I'd keep them. The best sounding tubes are usually vintage.
Creative name.

Unfortunately the hum can be heard at my sitting position too. If the songs have parts with low volume, I will here it faintly. But I can handle this for now. I'm still learning about tubes and tube amps. This amp is quite amazing though. I love it!

I tried the EL34B today in place of the KT-66. I forgot the brand, I'll check it tomorrow but it totally changed the sound. I'm not very good at describing sounds but it was very tubey and works amazing with stuff like Michael Buble's "To Be in Love" album. It has less detail than the KT-66 and has a lot more of the mids. The speakers are JBL Studio 530 and the headphone I have been using is the HEDDphone.
 
Update: I got a great deal on a pair of used power cables. Converts to under 40 USD for both of them.IMG_20200409_212844.jpg IMG_20200409_213306.jpg

And as I plugged then in, I noticed the buzz coming and going. Maybe a grounding problem or the connection? Anyway, it can be jiggled a little so that the buzz totally disappears. Like totally silent, even with volume maxed out on the MP-301 and the preamp. I used both of the new power cables on these two pieces. I am relieved to conclude that it is not an MP issue or tube evenissue and I'm even more happy with the MP than ever before. Looking forward to some more listening with it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20200409_213430.jpg
    IMG_20200409_213430.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20200409_213355.jpg
    IMG_20200409_213355.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 32
I am embarrassed to say that in my rush to post and just get the MP running, I did not take a close look at the exact model of the EL34 tubes. They are actually JJ EL34II. And the glass is blue like their EL34L tube.

I also want to add that I think I enjoy them more than the KT66 for some genres. I'ms the blue glass version of the JJ EL34II any different than the clear glass version?

Also, since I seem to prefer the thicker sound of the EL34II over the more transparent KT66, at least to my ears, do you think I will like the 6CA7 tubes?

By the way, the buzz sound is totally gone and the MP is now almost dead silent. I would have to turn the volume over 6.5 out of 10 on my preamp to get an audible hum. And my normal listening level is between 0.4 and 0.8'ish.
 
Well, I got my Mp-301 mkIII. Ordered straight from MP. Arrived in 10 days from China to Louisiana US.
I got it with the standard tube set. I pre ordered some Gold Lion KT66 matched set and a set of RCA 6SJ7 black cans, did not install the stock tubes. The amp is hooked to a set of KEF 104/2 for now. I am building a set of open baffle Betsy's for my 14'x14' room. I'm loving this little amp 5 hours in still a big grin. This going to be a fun journey.
 
Well, I got my Mp-301 mkIII. Ordered straight from MP. Arrived in 10 days from China to Louisiana US.
I got it with the standard tube set. I pre ordered some Gold Lion KT66 matched set and a set of RCA 6SJ7 black cans, did not install the stock tubes. The amp is hooked to a set of KEF 104/2 for now. I am building a set of open baffle Betsy's for my 14'x14' room. I'm loving this little amp 5 hours in still a big grin. This going to be a fun journey.

You'll like it even more with the Betsy OB's :thumbsup:
 
May I know how well it will work for the below? I like this tube amp due to it's small size.

1. Drive a pair of ELAC UB5 at 1 meter listening distance. I listen to pop so don't need ultra high volume
2. Drive a 20ohm IEM (TRN VX 2020 version)

Thanks.
 
The MP-301 Mk3 I bought used off of Barter Town arrived today in its original box. Great packaging. It came with a pair of Electron Tube 6550Bs and a pair of reissue Mullard EL34. I believe the drivers are the original Shuguang 6J8P tubes. They have no markings except for a J on the base.

Right now I have the EL34s in and I am really enjoying the sound it produces. It's warm and lush and is just what I was hoping for in an EL34 amp. The amp is dead silent. There doesn't seem to be any brightness that other have reported in this thread (it was a long read) but that may be because a long time ago I had the networks in my Heresys modified to reduce the output of the tweeter and squawker by 3db in the hopes of getting some more bass out them. Right now I have a Klipsch sub hooked up to them.

The first thing I noticed is that this amp has a lot bass. The mid range is lush and the high end sparkles nicely.

I have been listening to it for 6 or 7 hours now and here is some of what I have listened to:
  • Steely Dan - Aja
  • A medley of Led Zeppelin and Van Halen
  • Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman
  • Jacintha - Here's To Ben
  • Diana Krall - Live In Paris
  • Jacqui Naylor - Live East/West
It all sounds really good. This thread is not hype! I'm happy to be in the club.
 
Hi, Anyone uses the amp exclusively for headphones? I'm thinking of pairing this with my HD800s, what tubes should i try with first? Thanks!
 
Hi, Anyone uses the amp exclusively for headphones? I'm thinking of pairing this with my HD800s, what tubes should i try with first? Thanks!
Yes. I use it with Hifimans, AKGs, Sony and Denon headphones. I know the sound of the HD 800s, so if you like that type of sound, I would get the golden lion KT88 or get RCA Metal 6L6 driver tubes. These tubes get you close to solid state sound. For preamp, find 6SH7 tubes for that complete clinical sound similar to your cans, or get 6Sj7 (or variant) to smoothen out the top and bottom frequencies

if your 800s are to dry for your tastes, get a KT66 tubes and 5693 preamp tubes.

I don’t know the efficiency of the 800s but if they are below 75 ohms, your going to need a resistor headphone adapter to reduce the hum
 
Hi. Anyone find the highs a little harsh and fatiguing with the MP-301? I bought one new about a month ago and have it outfitted with Tug-Sol 7581A's and RCA 5693 Special Reds. I have about 50 hours on it.

Compared to my Emotiva class AB power amp and Schiit Freya + preamp, I'd say the MP-301 has them beat for airiness, detail, and instrument seperation. Bass isn't quite as strong but I expected that. My problem is it's noticeably less smooth and less 'easy' to listen to. And this is with Wharfedale towers, pretty relaxed speakers. Average listening volume is sub 75db and I'm listening to good quality recordings.

So, just looking for feedback and suggestions! Considering trying out some reissue Mullard EL34's to try to smooth it out (Idatlof's post recommends them). Add a touch of warmth maybe? Regardless, I think there is something special with this amp, worthy of some extra time and expense to get it right for my listening tastes.
 
Last edited:
Hi. Anyone find the highs a little harsh and fatiguing with the MP-301? I bought one new about a month ago and have it outfitted with Tug-Sol 7581A's and RCA 5693 Special Reds. I have about 50 hours on it.

Compared to my Emotiva class AB power amp and Schiit Freya + preamp, I'd say the MP-301 has it beat for airiness, detail, and instrument seperation. Bass isn't quite as strong but I expected that. My problem is it's significantly less smooth and less 'easy' to listen to. And this is with Wharfedale towers, pretty relaxed speakers. Average listening volume is sub 75db and I'm listening to good quality recordings.

So, just looking for feedback! Considering trying out some Mullard EL34's to try to smooth it out. But sometimes the tubes can only do so much!

some very simple mods can take this guy to the next level. they are in this thread. but some 717a's for driver tubes along with some vintage power tubes can help.
 
Just bought new MP 301 mk3 Delux and received today. Not hooked up yet but I have to say it looks gorgeous. Fit and finish is very very nice. I also picked up a pair of Sylvania red can 5693's and Tung Sol 7581A's. I'll be listening near field desktop thru a pair of Dennis Murphy's modded Andrew Jones/Pioneer bookshelf speakers which have been great on my tpa3250 amp. Not all that efficient but nearfield I'm hoping for the best. I also picked up the recommended adapter for low impedance headphones. I'd love to know if anyone can recommend any high quality headphones under $400 that mate well with these.
 
Hi. Anyone find the highs a little harsh and fatiguing with the MP-301? I bought one new about a month ago and have it outfitted with Tug-Sol 7581A's and RCA 5693 Special Reds. I have about 50 hours on it.

Compared to my Emotiva class AB power amp and Schiit Freya + preamp, I'd say the MP-301 has them beat for airiness, detail, and instrument seperation. Bass isn't quite as strong but I expected that. My problem is it's noticeably less smooth and less 'easy' to listen to. And this is with Wharfedale towers, pretty relaxed speakers. Average listening volume is sub 75db and I'm listening to good quality recordings.

So, just looking for feedback and suggestions! Considering trying out some reissue Mullard EL34's to try to smooth it out (Idatlof's post recommends them). Add a touch of warmth maybe? Regardless, I think there is something special with this amp, worthy of some extra time and expense to get it right for my listening tastes.
UPDATE: I swapped in some Mullard EL34's and it has tamed the highs a bit. But I think the MP-301 may be less forgiving of bright sounding recordings than my primary system. That is the trade off for some of the extra detail and airiness it provides. I've also experienced how much the bass and dynamics improve as you move to more efficient speakers. Very impressive. So in summary, this is a great little integrated amp....and I just needed to get used to its presentation! No regrets and a total keeper.
 
hello. my MP-301 arrived last week and I decided to keep it. I will be sharing my observations and questions here. so, the first one I have is that there is microphonics - there are noises when I touch the volume knob, rotate it, especially the metal ding when I turn it all the way down and 'hit' the limit, and when I touch the chassis. the microphonics seems to be caused by the pre-amp tubes, as I have swapped the Chinese 6L6 variant the amp came with for Ruby EL34 (although of course I can't rule out the possibility that both the 6L6 and Ruby EL34 cause it). my MP-301 came with black RCA JAN 6SJ7. any suggestions on preamp tube replacement I could try to see if it addresses the microphonics issue? sometime down the line I would like to try the 'little doorknobs' tubes, but I read that those are microphonic too. thank you.
 
all right, I will share my impressions gradually.

fist off, the anxiety about 'power': this is my first tube amp, and a single-ended, low-watt amp at that, so naturally I was unsure what to expect. my room is about 3 on 4.5 meters and I sit about 2 m from each speaker, with a bit less than that between the speakers, so close to near field. speakers are Triangle Titus Ez which are rated at 90 dB I believe, so not the most efficient speakers, but they are recommended time and again for their supposed tube-friendly demeanour. I like to listen moderately loud. with all that, I get the loudness I like at 9.5 volume dial, by 10 it gets uncomfortable, and in night time, when the background is quiet, I turn it down to 9-8.5. so, no need to worry here. I have to mention that when I turn down to 8 or a bit below, not only it gets quieter, but the juice seems to be sucked out of the sound, as if someone covered the speakers with a blanket.

the amp came with the Chinese 6L6 variant output tubes which I found too bright, Ruby EL34 improved things considerably, however if I am honest, it's still a touch too bright for my taste, and probably brighter than when I drive the Tituses from old Harman HK620 I own. I am really hoping this to improve with burn-in and perhaps different tubes. yes, the Tituses themselves are pretty bright, my room is bright, and I am treble-sensetive, so a bit of a complicated situation here.

all, right, in terms of sound stage - the Tituses are really something. I have to mention that this is my first pair of 'serious' speakers, so I suppose I am still enchanted, as I have never heard anything like it before. deep, wide, layered, with great separation yet with everything working together and not falling apart. this was my experience with HK620. I was told that with tubes driving the Tituses I will be in the 'soundstage country', but I am yet to experience that. out of MP-301 the soundstage seems a bit constricted, especially front to back, and while there is separation, there is less air between the instruments. the sound however is more refined compared to HK620 and has this strange quality of 'filling the room'.
 
Oftentimes a tube that sounds microphonic has dirty pins. This is the procedure I use to clean tube pins and I do it once or twice each year.


well, I have replaced the pair of 6SJ7 with Russian 6J8 (6*8). not only is the microphonics gone, but the sound is clearer, and that last bit of brightness which did manifest itself on some tracks (here my experience is similar to others here) is gone - all this at a fraction of the cost of 6SJ7s. if only I knew this before, I'd ordered my MP-301 without the preamp tubes and gone directly for 6J8s (although I imagine that it might be easier to get Russian tubes like 6J8 or 6J4 here in Europe comparing to the US or Canada).
 
yes, for power tubes I have switched to Shuguang Treasure KT66-Z. I am really enjoying the the sound now - apologies, but I have snapped out of a critical listening mode, just listening to music now, so can't provide a meaningful comparison, but these KT66 seem like a significant improvement over the Ruby EL34, even the soundstage improved a bit, although I'd still prefer a bit more depth. to be honest, I am still nowhere near recommended burn-in hours, so perhaps things will improve even further.
 
Back
Top Bottom