• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MVP861 vs. MCD201 for SACD/CD playback

jupiterfx

Active Member
has anyone compared CD/SACD playback between the MVP861 and the MCD201? also why does McIntosh make a separate MCD player when the MVP861 does it all?
 
Register to hide this ad
jupiterfx said:
has anyone compared CD/SACD playback between the MVP861 and the MCD201? also why does McIntosh make a separate MCD player when the MVP861 does it all?

Yes, I have both & the MCD201 is superior to the MVP861 on 2 channel SACD play. Noticeably! :music:
 
I did not compare the MVP861 and MCD201 but this weekend I did compare the MCD205 and MCD201 for CD play.

The MCD201 was the clear winner. We listened to a Donald Fagen CD which had some wind chimes and the MCD201 had better seperation and detail in the chime sound, but the biggest difference was in Donald Fagens voice with the MCD205 it sounded forced and with the MCD201 his voice just sounded more relaxed and natural. It was strange, it almost sounded like a different recording.

The difference was not huge but as I said the MCD201 was the clear winner. :)

Victor
 
Like I commented 2 months ago, it's a superb player. The midrange is very special on this one. Diana Krall's voice makes me think "impure thoughts" :nono:
 
I didn't compare, but all I can say is that since 2 months I listen to music with MCD201, and I'm blown away with its incredibly true sound:no more question of lacking bass or treble, of non natural voices ...
I've listened to a very few SACD, and I was not convinced.

JM
 
Back
Top Bottom