• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My “New” Sansui AU222. Very nice little guy.

On another note, the flyer for the AU-222 says a wood case is available as an option. Has anyone seen or have a picture of the wood case that was an option for the 222?
 
This may not be an option for you but if a genuine case is hard to find then making one is certainly possible. Not the same but I had an AU-555a that lost and argument with a fork lift. The wooden case was damaged and the chassis somewhat bent, took a chance and picked it up for $60. The little gem still worked so recapped and straightened out the chassis, am really impressed by this little amplifier.
Anyway I made a new wooden cover for it, went with a darker smoked oak veneer.
 

Attachments

  • P1030676.JPG
    P1030676.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 38
  • P1030678.JPG
    P1030678.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 38
Here's the optional wood case:

View attachment 3434398
Thanks for that picture. There is a 222 available locally, but the metal case was in bad shape, I guess, and the owner painted it. When I saw the flyer for the 222 (available on HiFiengine) it mentioned an optional wood case, but searching the internet no pictures of an original case wood case came up, so thanks again for posting. I have a small woodworking shop, so would be able to make a case if I end up buying the 222.
 
Thanks for that picture. There is a 222 available locally, but the metal case was in bad shape, I guess, and the owner painted it. When I saw the flyer for the 222 (available on HiFiengine) it mentioned an optional wood case, but searching the internet no pictures of an original case wood case came up, so thanks again for posting. I have a small woodworking shop, so would be able to make a case if I end up buying the 222.
What do you mean "if"?
 
What do you mean "if"?

:) The price is fair, not a "deal." It's more an issue of whether I need or want another amp! :idea:

This would be a project for fun more than one that would probably see a lot of use. Too many other great Sansui amps/receivers in my collection. Can't use all of them, so some have to sit on the shelf, which I feel is unfortunate. Some one else could be enjoying them, but at the same time, hard to give any of them up!
 
:) The price is fair, not a "deal." It's more an issue of whether I need or want another amp! :idea:
I'm definitely in the want camp on my amplifier purchases, I only need one, but where is the fun in that!
For me it's more a case slipping them in the house when my other half isn't paying attention.
Actually she is really understanding as long as I don't bankrupt us, as an added bonus she doesn't mind the odd amplifier sitting in pieces on a table in the house for a few weeks.
Lucky me!
 
Well, I just committed to this amp. Just bought a full recap kit. I’m going to have to be patient and take my time as I’m a novice. I’ve recapped several speakers but never an amp.

I expect I’ll have two or three scars on my fingers from the soldering iron by the time I finish!
 
Well, I just committed to this amp. Just bought a full recap kit. I’m going to have to be patient and take my time as I’m a novice. I’ve recapped several speakers but never an amp.
My first recap adventure was on an AU-517 three or four years ago, with the extensive hejp of knowledgeable people here I muddled my way through.
It can be a very rewarding experience.
Have fun.
 
That is the best looking case I have ever seen on one of these wooden clad amps of the era. It looks new. Is it a vinyl replacement or an original that has been exceptionally well cared for in 56 years?
That's an original C-10 wood veneer case -- was in excellent shape when I found it. A bit of clean up and some Restor-A-Finish and it turned out like new. Currently looking for another one to house my matching TU-555 tuner.
 
Well, I just committed to this amp. Just bought a full recap kit. I’m going to have to be patient and take my time as I’m a novice. I’ve recapped several speakers but never an amp.

I expect I’ll have two or three scars on my fingers from the soldering iron by the time I finish!
Pretty good amp to choose for your first adventure, imo. It's really quite a simple little thing, and I believe the rewards are worth it. Mine is also my first recap of a piece of audio gear, although like you I have played with other stuff. I reckon that choosing quality caps to match the Elnas etc that are already in it, and then careful attention to setting up the bias etc will give you something brilliant.

When I got mine I simply tried it. Had no idea what I was risking back then, just plug and play. Fortunately it didn't put DC voltages into my Tannoys!. It actuallty sounded good despite the very scratchy pots. Been on a shelf for ten years now, but I'm stuck at home so it's either the 222 or the 101 that gets to be practiced on.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, I puled the board on mine to clean off decades of tobacco smoke. Take pictures, and when you think you have enough pictures, take more.
 
Pretty good amp to choose for your first adventure, imo. It's really quite a simple little thing, and I believe the rewards are worth it. Mine is also my first recap of a piece of audio gear, although like you I have played with other stuff. I reckon that choosing quality caps to match the Elnas etc that are already in it, and then careful attention to setting up the bias etc will give you something brilliant.

When I got mine I simply tried it. Had no idea what I was risking back then, just plug and play. Fortunately it didn't put DC voltages into my Tannoys!. It actuallty sounded good despite the very scratchy pots. Been on a shelf for ten years now, but I'm stuck at home so it's either the 222 or the 101 that gets to be practiced on.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, I puled the board on mine to clean off decades of tobacco smoke. Take pictures, and when you think you have enough pictures, take more.
Pictures. Man, that’s a hard lesson I learned a long time ago. I remember looking at my project and saying “ I THINK this was how it was when I removed it”.

I’ll be documenting this recap every step of the way. I don’t want to take any chances! Pictures!!!!

I’m really excited as this amp sounds amazing even in its current unrestored condition.

My main focus, to start, is caps and transistors.

I’m actually surprised at myself as I have a Sansui AU111 (fully recapped, not by me), a McIntosh Mac 1700 (partially recapped) and I can’t drag myself away from the 222. Listening to it as I write this.
 
@rotobadger how far did you get with the restoration?
I got myself the same amp in all orginal condition.
It is a really good sounding amp. Has a certain charm that wants you to keep on listening. A keeper.
My speakers are 15inch Tannoys.

Mine also has some popping noises on left channel and hiss. It will need to be restored.

 
Last edited:
L
@rotobadger how far did you get with the restoration?
I got myself the same amp in all orginal condition.
It is a really good sounding amp. Has a certain charm that wants you to keep on listening. A keeper.
My speakers are 15inch Tannoys.

Mine also has some popping noises on left channel and hiss. It will need to be restored.

Looks very clean! Popping usually indicates bad joints on some transistors or the transistors failing under load wonderful amplifier best of luck with it
 
@rotobadger how far did you get with the restoration?
I got myself the same amp in all orginal condition.
It is a really good sounding amp. Has a certain charm that wants you to keep on listening. A keeper.
My speakers are 15inch Tannoys.

Mine also has some popping noises on left channel and hiss. It will need to be restored.

Hey there, sorry for the delayed reply! I'm out of town on business for awhile.

I have not made any updates to the amp as of yet but I (finally) was able to purchase the correct transistors and have opened the amp to take a look at what I'm facing.

It looks like it won't be too difficult if I'm patient and take my time.

Also, the amp has been sounding wonderful as-is with the exception of some pretty low level hiss. Enough to be annoying but not enough to disrupt the sound of the amp while music is playing.

I will keep this thread updated when I do get around to replacing the transistors though.

It sounds like your amp may be in a little more need of some transistors replaced due to the popping sound.

Thanks for the reply!
 
Back
Top Bottom