• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My $55 M97xE arrived today

A pretty darn good cartridge for the money! Enjoy.

I would have to respectfully disagree.

I believe it's a pretty darn good cart at 3X the money. At $55, it's an outrageous steal, tantamount to being given away. Apparently, if you add $125 for the JICO SAS stylus upgrade, and you have a world-class cart for under $200. I'll let you know in a day or two. My JICO love-package is on its way. :yes:
 
Not looking to derail this thread, but I have two Duals that are looking for new carts, a 622 and a 1257. Would the Shure be a good match for either of these?
 
I would have to respectfully disagree.

I believe it's a pretty darn good cart at 3X the money. At $55, it's an outrageous steal, tantamount to being given away. Apparently, if you add $125 for the JICO SAS stylus upgrade, and you have a world-class cart for under $200. I'll let you know in a day or two. My JICO love-package is on its way. :yes:

I'll have to agree with you on that.:yes: I'm using the M97xE with the newest Jico SAS for that cartridge. I like it better than my $1200 dollar Grado Statement/reference. But thats with the SAS. The SAS makes that much difference!:yes:

My setup:
Sota Sapphire table...
Sumiko FT3 arm...
Sansui AU-919 Amp...
Vandersteen one spkrs....
 
I took the plunge myself on the Amazon deal. I look forward to putting the M97xE thru it's paces in a few days.
 
I took the plunge myself on the Amazon deal. I look forward to putting the M97xE thru it's paces in a few days.

I'm sure you will like it. It may start out a little dull, but you will notice a difference at about your sixth album side, and it seems to continuously improve. follow the instructions on the tracking force and use the protractor and you'll be amazed at how it sounds, especially for $55:music:
 
I'm sure you will like it. It may start out a little dull, but you will notice a difference at about your sixth album side, and it seems to continuously improve. follow the instructions on the tracking force and use the protractor and you'll be amazed at how it sounds, especially for $55:music:

I'm sure it will. :yes:
 
The Shure M97xE is truly a 'neutral' sounding cartridge.

G'day all, as I type this I'm listening to an old vinyl recording of Dvorak's 'From the New World' symphony and listening to it reminds me of a night when a relative and I attended a performance of our premier state orchestra in a great acoustic venue.

It was a wonderful performance yet as I listened, frequently wih eyes closed, it occurred to me that much of the music 'sounded' quite dull, only occasionally livened up by the sound of brass, drums etc and that was the 'real thing'. The M97xE sounds very similar.

Yes I run it at 62k but the overall balance doesn't change too much. Comparing what I recall of that night's concert performance to what I'm hearing now I would have to say that the Shure M97xE is truly a 'neutral' sounding cartridge. :music: Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Last edited:
What would I buy instead?

Well my favorite cartridge used to be a vintage Shure/Realistic R-27 (an M-75) until I got a Nagaoka MP-11 which puts it and my Stanton 681EEE with a Shibata to shame.
 
What would I buy instead?

Well my favorite cartridge used to be a vintage Shure/Realistic R-27 (an M-75) until I got a Nagaoka MP-11 which puts it and my Stanton 681EEE with a Shibata to shame.

Might as well get one two, before they are sold out!!!:thmbsp: :D
 
I'm sure you will like it. It may start out a little dull, but you will notice a difference at about your sixth album side, and it seems to continuously improve.

I've listened to the M97xE for about 3-4 nights so far, and DanBa is exactly correct. It's sounding better with each session.

Last night it sounded especially rich on a UK stereo pressing of the Beatles' "Revolver."
 
I am very tempted to order one of these to replace a Shure cart on my Dual TT.
I have to ask why are they suddenly so affordable?
Even in Canada I found one for $56 which is pretty unusual.
 
I am very tempted to order one of these to replace a Shure cart on my Dual TT.
I have to ask why are they suddenly so affordable?
Even in Canada I found one for $56 which is pretty unusual.
A couple of thoughts come to mind. 1-the company has outsourced the manufacture to Mexico, 2-the company is losing it's ass, because of the last two years of global financial instability, 3-both 4-something completely different:scratch2:
 
I went and ordered one from J&R which is a U.S company for $54.99. And the shipping is only $5.95 so $60.94 total.
And although I never get anything shipped if it isn't USPS to Canada they say all the brokerage is included.
We shall see if they try and get another $20-30 out of me.
Either way its a screaming deal for anyone in Canada. Local shop is $189.99 for the same cart. I hate to save money this way as I like keeping the local shops afloat but this is over $100 in savings and I can't ignore that.
 
Back
Top Bottom