• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My $55 M97xE arrived today

G'day mate, if you have 100 k available, then it is a simple matter to add another resistor of the correct value across your input interconnects to bring the value down to 62 k. Where's my calculator? Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Last edited:
A nice night for Bach organ and my ShurE M97xE.

G'day all, it's now about 7:30 pm Friday evening, and it's been a bit of a rainy day and I think our 'wet season' is about to start!

I'm relaxing here in my Ham Radio shack listening to some delightful J.S. Bach organ with my standard Shure M97xE loaded into 62 k. It sounds wonderful and there's a smile on my face. :music: :thmbsp: Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
G'day mate, like this (three views), and there is also a computer (not seen)! Regards, Felix (vk4fuq) aka catman.
 

Attachments

  • Ham radio shack of Felix vk4fuq 191110. 003.jpg
    Ham radio shack of Felix vk4fuq 191110. 003.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Ham radio shack of Felix vk4fuq 191110. 002.jpg
    Ham radio shack of Felix vk4fuq 191110. 002.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Ham radio shack of Felix vk4fuq 191110. 001.jpg
    Ham radio shack of Felix vk4fuq 191110. 001.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 78
G'day mate, no those speakers are my very old AR28's. I use them now as extension speakers for my Ham Radio stuff. The woofers fell to pieces years ago (surround rot), and I rebuilt them with a wide range speaker and a cheap tweeter.

The photo is one of my present stereo speakers based on the old Richter 'Merlin' bookshelf speakers. The woofers also failed and I've replaced them on both speakers, but both tweeters are still original and working fine.

The small amp on top is one of my DIY kit stereo amps using the LM1875T 'chip' amps. A nice little amplifier and it sounds great unless pushed into clipping, so I don't. It's good for about 15 -20 watts per channel. It's 'driven' by one of my DIY Elliott Sound Products P88 stereo line preamps. Regards, Felix (vk4fuq) aka catman. PS. Don't you love electronics DIY? I do!

EDIT: Sorry, no XXXX. As a diabetic, I'm not allowed any more, along with lots of other food products!
 

Attachments

  • Ham radio shack of Felix vk4fuq 191110..jpg
    Ham radio shack of Felix vk4fuq 191110..jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
G'day mate, interesting on the 'hum' problem. I've not noticed that issue with any of the three Shure M97xE's, although I do get a 'burst' of hum sometimes when I either remove or insert the stylus for cleaning etc.

Is your stylus fully inserted? I presume that it is. Does your turntable have a separate 'ground' wire connected to the preamp earth terminal?

Also have you used insulating washers when you mounted the cartridge in the headshell? This is an interesting one as generally these washers aren't needed, however on one occasion I definitely needed them to stop a very bad (and loud) hum loop. Every set up tends to be different!

Also you did have any issues getting the overhang set up correctly? Some guidelines are in here: http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/vinyl07.html Regards, Felix aka catman.

Stylus is inserted fully, TT is grounded on the preamp, alignment is correct. The weird thing is, today it's not doing it! The only thing changed is the outlet the TT's plugged into. If it doesn't happen again I'll just chalk it up to the outlet.
 
G'day mate, yes that's possible. Over the years as an electronics technician I've seen some things happen that seemingly defy rational explanation!

Yes I know there always 'is' an explanation but sometimes these strange technical issues appear to make no apparent sense! It happens. So if you've found a complete solution, that's fine! Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Last edited:
Well, it's been a few days now and the M97xE just gets better and better. I haven't been able to hear a difference with the brush up or down, so I leave it down.

P1100922.jpg
 
Mine arrived today :) What a great buy for $55. Gonna mount it up to an SL-1300 as soon as it's back together. (see other post).
 
G'day well, it's another rainy and grey afternoon here in North Queensland but Bach's Brandenburg Concerto's are happliy playing on my Radio Shack system and my M97xE is doing the job nicely! :music: Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
My $55 M97xE arrived today as well.

I was kind of skeptical about whether or not my untrained non-audiophile ears would hear any difference, but there is a huge difference between this and my old Stanton AL-500II. Of course, that may just be because the Stanton may have been worn out or damaged.

Regardless, I like it so far.
 
G'day well, it's another rainy and grey afternoon here in North Queensland but Bach's Brandenburg Concerto's are happliy playing on my Radio Shack system and my M97xE is doing the job nicely! :music: Regards, Felix aka catman.

We're expecting rain to begin tonight, here in southern California, I thought Emerson, Lake, & Palmer-Works Volume 1, through my stock M97xE was fitting. I am still amazed by this cartridge.:music:
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Emerson-Lake--Palmer-Works-Volume-1---438360.jpg
    Emerson-Lake--Palmer-Works-Volume-1---438360.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 96
Anyone try a M97xe on a Rega? I just got a Planar 3 with a RB300 arm & was wondering if they might be compatible.
 
Back
Top Bottom