• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My First Sony ES: Sony TA-N330ES

Bodyblue

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have been buying power amps lately because I took my Marantz 250 out of my main rig to work on it. I grabbed a Kenwood KM 106 for under $50 and it sounded pretty nice as power for the Marantz 1060 I am using for a pre amp.

The problem with this hobby is one thing ALWAYS leads to another. So I found myself cruising the usual eBay, CL etc looking for amps. Last week I threw an opening bid for this Sony ES. I read the reviews and asked around a bit and the consensus was it was better than decent. The opening bid was $100 and nobody else bid ......it arrived today very well packed.

Since I am letting the current main rig speakers (Optimus 5s) dry from being re oiled I am using teeny tiny Nova 4s. They sounded pretty decent with the Kenwood, But when I got the Sony in the system it was like night and day, the Sony fires up the little Novas and just makes them sparkle on the highs and brings the lows down and clean. A real difference. The Sony is rated at 110wpc @8ohm and the Kenwood 120 @8ohm. In a few hours I will bring the Optimus' in and see how they do with the Sony.......

One other thing I noticed how much heavier the Sony was and the quality feel of everything on it

Sorry for the bad pics but my stereo rack has crap all over it while I was moving things around.

20190508_120010.jpg 20190508_120232.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg
 
I got in some quality time in last night with the Sony and all I can say is WOW.

I am using the Marantz 1060 as the pre and its a great combo along with the Optimus 5s. The Marantz 250 was just getting tired and I had to make a decision to either rebuild it or sell it. I had it on CL for less that 2 hours before I sold for more than I paid for it so I am happy. I looked into having it recapped etc and it was more than almost buying another one. I loved it but had to move on.
 
Nice! I recently obtained my first ES in the form of a V333ES receiver. I'm still very impressed with it... especially for the $30 I paid. I also kinda like the sound of that old ES, too! At 35 lbs, this sucker is a lot heavier than the Luxman R-115 it replaced or the Yamaha HTR-5990 I moved the other day (and am still feeling it in my back!) I just missed out on a STR-DA777ES for not a lot more than that and am still annoyed.
 
Last edited:
Nice! I recently obtained my first ES in the form of a V333ES receiver. I'm still very impressed with it... especially for the $30 I paid. I also kinda like the sound of that old ES, too! At 35 lbs, this sucker is a lot heavier than the Luxman R-115 it replaced or the Yamaha HTR-5990 I move the other day (and am still feeling it in my back!) I just missed out on a STR-DA777ES for not a lot more than that and am sill annoyed.

The 777es is supposed to be a gem. Also look out for the 444es and 555es. They are very simular in build. I own the V555es and Love it!
 
The 777es is supposed to be a gem. Also look out for the 444es and 555es. They are very simular in build. I own the V555es and Love it!
Yeah, I'm really annoyed at missing this one. I waited a day due to to having to drive through a nasty bit of interchange here in OC at rush hour. WTF was I thinking? I've heard that the 777 is all that. At 50lbs, it ought to be!
 
I am going to keep an eye out for more ES items. This one is blowing me away.

I listened to it all afternoon at moderate volume and I noticed it does get warmer than the Kenwood I replaced it with.

The only I dont like about it so far is that it has no power outlets on the back.
 
I am going to keep an eye out for more ES items. This one is blowi

I listened to it all afternoon at moderate volume and I noticed it does get warmer than the Kenwood I replaced it with.

The only I dont like about it so far is that it has no power outlets on the back.

You'll haven more outlets when you find a stack of ES goodness. images.jpeg
 
Yeah, but while she is out only time i really get to enjoy my system! Pic not too great but as promised.
 

Attachments

  • 0EC5FC2B-5680-4476-A1B8-9C7B8527CFD1.jpeg
    0EC5FC2B-5680-4476-A1B8-9C7B8527CFD1.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 71
You'll haven more outlets when you find a stack of ES goodness. View attachment 1503574
David, is that a TC-K950ES tape deck on top of a TA-E80ES power amp?
Do you run it stacked like that, and doesn't the amp overheat or cook the tape deck?

Love my Sonys. My power amp easily beat out my old Adcom 545II and my preamp whipped an NAD.
 
David, is that a TC-K950ES tape deck on top of a TA-E80ES power amp?
Do you run it stacked like that, and doesn't the amp overheat or cook the tape deck?

Love my Sonys. My power amp easily beat out my old Adcom 545II and my preamp whipped an NAD.

I wish it was my stack. Just a pic I found of the old ES stuff. My system is a little newer but I still love it.
20190509_205611.jpg
 
David, is that a TC-K950ES tape deck on top of a TA-E80ES power amp?
Do you run it stacked like that, and doesn't the amp overheat or cook the tape deck?

Love my Sonys. My power amp easily beat out my old Adcom 545II and my preamp whipped an NAD.

Believe it or not, but my favorite sony purchase are these Babies.

e9833e3a769fb83616a08758bfd8bdd0.jpeg

Sony SS-HA1 Speakers are for real. Unbelievable Clarity and tight Bass.
 
Back
Top Bottom