• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My MCD201 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't a matter of believing... it's a matter of clarifying. Ron said each update was uniique and didn't add. If each update included the previous changes, that statement would hold true.
 
Me of course.....

V.4 replaces all previous Front End Firmware. We use V.4 on the assembly line as the only Front End Firmware.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Well, I received the V.4 Front End Firmware Update disk from my dealer yesterday and it took about a minute to run. It did quiet the transport down during SACD play. It didn't silence it but definitely quieted it down. There is a hitch with the instructions on the disc. At the end of the instruction sequence when the player reaches normal operational mode, the tray is supposed to automatically open within 30 seconds. It doesn't. My display does not read "stop" but the tray does not open. I ran the update twice and it does the same thing. Anyway, I'm assuming it did what it was designed to do.
 
ron-c said:
Me of course.....

V.4 replaces all previous Front End Firmware. We use V.4 on the assembly line as the only Front End Firmware.

Thanks,
Ron-C
ron-c, I've also heard about the V.5 back end firmware. What does the back end firmware do? Which one controls the transport and which one is the user interface (buttons, display)?

Thank you.
 
Front-end firmware, back-end firmware... middle-middle firmware... I'm CONFUSED!!!

Ron, can Mc produce ONE CD that will either:

-Diagnose what my particular unit needs and install it, OR, if workable

-Just install the latest and greatest of everything?
 
Negotiableterms said:
Front-end firmware, back-end firmware... middle-middle firmware... I'm CONFUSED!!!

Ron, can Mc produce ONE CD that will either:

-Diagnose what my particular unit needs and install it, OR, if workable

-Just install the latest and greatest of everything?
I only know of two different firmwares and I don't mind if they are physically on one or two discs. I only want to know if the back-end firmware changes one of the things that are bothering me, because this player is still not perfect IMO. My dealer got the V4 front end firmware (that I will go get this afternoon), but I would be surprised if he got the V5 back end with it.

So what does the back end firmware do?
 
UPDATE: I installed V4 (my previous firmware was V2). As with my "stock" to V2 upgrade, the tracking got a lot better. My worse CD that did not play at all before now almost plays without a hiccup. I still have stubborn tracks that play 100% on my dealers new and updated MCD201 but not 100% on mine. That is what makes me hope that my "problems" are close to an end.

But I wonder what's next. With my dealer's MCD201, my "worse" CD will go from one song (track) to another very smoothly (with the FWD knob), but mine makes a lot of noise and takes time to advance up to the song I want, as if it had trouble finding the beginning of the songs. Mine skips a few seconds but my dealer's 201 plays flawlessly.



P.S. for those who want to update: Copying the files on another CD is not enough to make a copy of the update CD. My dealer had more than one client to "update" so instead of borrowing the disc and having to bring it back, I made a copy of the files on another CD. This does not work, as there is may be a hidden partition or a particuliar structure required on the disc. - I guess that is a great reason why they can't only put an update file on their website (and must send hard copies instead).
 
Last edited:
How long has Mac been aware of the problem with the MCD201?
I brought home a new one yesterday and it exhibits all the problems spoken of here.
It's back at the dealer already waiting for updates!
Do I need to insist on different equipment?
What do you recommend?
 
eljr said:
How long has Mac been aware of the problem with the MCD201?
Check the posts; since it came out, months.
eljr said:
Do I need to insist on different equipment?
What do you recommend?
No, I think this issue is almost over with. If I have known all this when I made my choice, I might have bought a MVP861 instead, but I wouldn't have a great headphone amp and I'm not sure it sounds quite as great as the MCD201.
 
Assuming your dealer will get you one, I'm not sure demanding a new unit will totally solve your issue since so many of these players exhibit certain quirks. I agree with most that the MCD201 is a fantastic sounding machine and I'm really enjoying mine, especially on SACD discs now that I've installed the latest front end update. I'll always be a bit baffled and disappointed that McIntosh allowed this product to be released to production with these types of issues. Hopefully, all will be forgotten within a year and this player will be recognized as best in class by all. Good luck eljr.
 
I second Jim777 & jayvis's comments, I'm loving my MCD201 more & more everyday and it's a perfect match with my Mac MA6500 int. Amp. Yes there are some really annoying issues on certain (well quite a number though ) sets, but I'm sure Mac is addressing them right now, although Ron has been a little quiet on this thread lately, I'm sure they will come up a perfect one ( may be two )for all solution, just stay calm and the problems will be resolved soon as said by Jim777. :music:
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. It is just hard for me to imagine that an industry leader could be aware of the problem for so long and still let it out the door so it fails on first play.
This unit was obviously not tested after it was put together which is incredible since they were clearly aware of the problem. I have the MC252 for direct power so I will need a preamp if I change the player. Speakers are the B&W 803d. suggestions???
I am very uncomfortable with the thought of keeping it. Thanks
 
Even if you keep the MCD201, you would be surprised of what the C220 could do to your system. Two days ago I listened to a system: MCD201, MC275 and 802D's with and without a C220 in the middle. I prefered the C220 after removing it for only a few seconds! The highs get softer, there is more "air" and the bass is fatter. And what surprised me even more is that changing the power cable of the MC275 for a big fat $$$ one almost made as much a difference (well lets say half way). That surprised the engineer in me, but it was really obvious; but that does not mean that this cable would make such a difference with a SS amp like the MC252.

I wouldn't abandon the MCD201 too fast. You could change it for a MVP861 or a MCD205 (I would prefer the 861), but the sound might still deceive you after tasting the 201. Maybe you should give the 201 another chance ;)
 
Last edited:
so far so good

I just got my MCD201 back after it failed on first play.
So good so far. I can't help feeling like it might fail again at any minute.
Has anyone who has had these skipping and failure problems had the downloads correct the problem for good?

:scratch2:
 
Before I ran the update, I experienced a few small skips on a couple of SACDs. Right after each of these skips, I would stop the player and restart it. Then it wouldn't skip again. It was almost like the player had somehow corrected itself. Since I've run the firmware update, I haven't experienced any skips on any discs and the transport motor noise has quieted. The way I understand it, the majority of these issues have been when playing SACDs. If you want piece of mind, buy a bunch of them like I did and just play them over and over for a number of days. If you don't have any problems, I think it is safe to say your player has been corrected. Plus, you'll learn to appreciate this machine's fantastic ability to transfer great SACD sound to your speakers.
 
Last edited:
eljr,

The last software updates look to solve any issues some have had with the MCD201. These players have always been bench tested on the line using the standard industry test disks. Quite a few of the machines have experienced problems with various disks in the field. We have purchased these disks and changed the operational Firmware on the MCD201 to successfully address these problems. The MCD201 will play many disks that no previous McIntosh CD player would play. Those players used Phillips, Pioneer, Teac, and Nakamichi transports. The MCD201 remains one of our most popular models both for operational feature content and ultimate sound quality.

Porziob, I see you have migrated over from the Asylum. You always have negative comments about McIntosh so we all should expect the same here.
As far as the McIntosh output autoformer it is the best technical solution to make a transistor amp flexible, deliver the lowest possible distortion with the highest signal to noise ratio, run cool and have a long life. The drawbacks are of course size and cost. If you are buying a premium amp why shouldn't you get all the power you pay for regardless of which speaker you chose?

You can of course research this on the AK threads so you don't look so 'clueless' with your silly comments.

The list of speaker manufacturers, and reviewers who have purchased and use autoformer coupled McIntosh amps continues to grow. Since these folks use every type of amp I wonder why they continue to prefer McIntosh?

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Last edited:
Ron,

I have repeatedly read postings indicating that the MCD201 will play discs that no other McIntosh player would; yet, there are continuing issues with various discs not playing properly. I had the MVP861 for over a year, which I believe has the Denon transport, and never experienced any problems with numerous SACDs, including hybrids. Every disc I ever played worked the first time, including redbook and DVD-A (and even regular DVDs for that matter). It was extremely reliable. Also, load time wasn't too long and it wasn't noisy, even with the increased spin rate. With the exception of sound quality (I haven't heard one, so I can't comment), it appears that the 201 is functionally a step backwards.
 
I'm not 100% sure because I didn't look at my watch, but I think that the load time got much faster (probably because the tracking got better) with the latest firmware. I don't find that this is an issue anymore like when I first got my player. Most discs now play in ~10 seconds (it was often 30 seconds in the beginning).

Looks like the MCD201 had only firmware issues, not hardware. With what I experienced, adjusting the tilt of the mecanism has almost no effect anymore with the latest firmware, so maybe it is not worth opening up your MCD201 if the V4 firmware isn't doing the trick. A *perfect* adjustement was only required with older firmwares I guess..

I don't think that the transport (or the hardware) is the problem; here is an idea... maybe the MVP861's Denon transport came with all the firmware to make a DVD player work, but the MCD201 is more "home-brew" (system/firmware-wise), thus Mac and/or RayMedia had to learn a lot more on this one..

BTW, I took a good look while my player was opened and I was surprised by the huge power supply (and regulation) in the MCD201. Add a flagship DAC without cuting anything else out of the reference design, no wonder it sounds so good! Everything is top quality under the hood for sure :thmbsp:

What I can say from my experience, is the MCD201 has awesome sound, and if you are not lucky and have some problems with the latest firmware, mac will support you and do what it takes to get things right.
 
day one was a sucess! The player did not fail or skip! All redbook.
I am fairly optomistic and soon will work up the nerve to try Sacd's

It does load very slowly but I find that a non issue.
A bit loud also but again not enough to be an issue just conversation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom