• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My New TASCAM!

vincei

aka MasterControlMedia
Register to hide this ad
How is the sound?? that is one cool as hell piece of gear!

Sounds very good, clear and clean. Some of my older tapes play better than others. I have yet to record on it, so I will report back on that. To be honest, I don't plan on using it all that much, but it is nice to look at! :music:
 
Beautiful gizmo and beautiful photos.
Care to disclose the camera and lens that you used?

The camera is just a low end DSLR Nikon D60 with Sigma 18-50 2.8-4.5 OS. For these pics, I used a tripod and a long exposure with bounce flash.
 
bounce flash :-)

thanks.

Appropos of (almost) nothing... I got one of the Sigma 10 - 20 mm DX format super-wide angle zoom lenses for my low-end Nikon DSLR for Christmas from my son... a very cool lens.
 
I think yours is in better cosmetic shape than the one I have. Nice find!

Yeah, I bought it just because of the condition, in the box and not too far away, with remote too! I had no intention to get another DAT deck after I sold my Sony DTC-87ES, but I always wanted a big Tascam deck. :music:
 
I have one of those as well with a tape jammed in it. These had issues with this so beware. Keep it clean and serviced. In addition to the DA-30MKII, I also have two DA-20's, several Sony D8's and a DA-P1.
 
Nice! That's a mint unit.

I've been trying to get one of those out of my former high school for 6 years.
 
I have one of those as well with a tape jammed in it. These had issues with this so beware. Keep it clean and serviced. In addition to the DA-30MKII, I also have two DA-20's, several Sony D8's and a DA-P1.

This is the most reliable DAT transport, IMO. There is only one problem that it has. There is a small loading belt on the bottom of the mechanism that goes bad. Replace that and the deck will work like new. I have found a replacement belt from MCM that seems to be a bit better than the original. Part# 42-1770. The DA-P1 uses the same mechanism as the DA-20 and DA-30 except it lacks the tape cartridge loading part. So it uses the same tiny belt and that is the usual problem with it.
The part numbers at MCM for the other belts in the DA-20 and DA-30 are:
SBS5.1 for the one on the side of the loading mech
42-045 for the other one on the loading mech. I think I've only had to replace these once. There is also a toothed belt that I have never seen go bad.
 
Last edited:
I have the DA-40, as well as a Sony DCT-75ES.
While the Sony is pretty, the Tascam is by far the better unit.

Yes, I had the loading issue, and yes, replacing the $13.00 dime sized belt turned a "Parts Deck" into a near mint uniit with less than 30 drum hrs.
 
Thanks for all the belt info Warren, maybe I'll look into getting a new one to be safe. I do notice an alignment issue with old tapes I recorded on my Sony DTC-59ES, but that deck was trouble from day one...I will do more tests tonight for recording.
 
Congrats!.....I'd swear all your vintage Sony's must come directly from the factory. Nice pics too. :drool:
 
This is the most reliable DAT transport, IMO. There is only one problem that it has. There is a small loading belt on the bottom of the mechanism that goes bad. Replace that and the deck will work like new. I have found a replacement belt from MCM that seems to be a bit better than the original. Part# 42-1770. The DA-P1 uses the same mechanism as the DA-20 and DA-30 except it lacks the tape cartridge loading part. So it uses the same tiny belt and that is the usual problem with it.
The part numbers at MCM for the other belts in the DA-20 and DA-30 are:
SBS5.1 for the one on the side of the loading mech
42-045 for the other one on the loading mech. I think I've only had to replace these once. There is also a toothed belt that I have never seen go bad.

Popping the cover of of the unit I can see the tape began to load as it is around the drum. in checking the transport I can see two belts. one for what seems to be the in and out function and the other for the up and down. I was able to get the transports to move manually however I need to unload the tape from the drum in order to remove it. it seems the transport unit is held in by four screws in each corner. would I need to remove the transport to see the other belts?
 
Popping the cover of of the unit I can see the tape began to load as it is around the drum. in checking the transport I can see two belts. one for what seems to be the in and out function and the other for the up and down. I was able to get the transports to move manually however I need to unload the tape from the drum in order to remove it. it seems the transport unit is held in by four screws in each corner. would I need to remove the transport to see the other belts?

Yes, the belt you want is the dime sized one on the bottom. Remove the 4 screws and carefully disconnect all the wires, then remove the mech..
 
I did some recording last night and it sound very good. I guess my old Sony tapes were slightly off alignment. Even the slow speed sounds quite good! I may use it as a DAC and see how that works out. Now I just have to get a 122 MKII cassette deck and a MD-801R minidisc deck to have a matching set! It never ends!
 
I did some recording last night and it sound very good. I guess my old Sony tapes were slightly off alignment. Even the slow speed sounds quite good! I may use it as a DAC and see how that works out. Now I just have to get a 122 MKII cassette deck and a MD-801R minidisc deck to have a matching set! It never ends!

Some Sony Dats had a problem with the guide posts becoming loose. When that happens, the alignment goes out.
 
Some Sony Dats had a problem with the guide posts becoming loose. When that happens, the alignment goes out.

Makes sense. Some tapes play fine, others a little garbled, especially the ones recorded at 32KHz. Recording and playback on the Tascam though sounds great. :music:
 
Back
Top Bottom