• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My New TASCAM!

Picked up my CL find Tascam DA30 MKII deck today - some rack scratches on the top and botton, but it looks pretty clean - will add pics when I get it set up.

Edit: Got it home. Error 01 when trying to load a tape. Looks like I'll take a look at the small loading belt - the tape drops down into the mechanism fine, but when the tape is pulled forward to the head it doesn't seem to move properly. Sound like a likely candidate for this belt?
 
Last edited:
Managed to get it running, cleaned the small belt on the bottom of the mechanism in isopropyl alcohol. Tape now loads fully. Going to play with some recording tonight.

I have a mix of 90m and 60m dds-1 tapes which I plan on using. The 90m isn't supposed to be reliable but will see.
 
I remember seeing and wanting that deck but ended up getting a fostex d5 bc the price was right (two for $1800 lol) My tascam da-p1 has been a real workhorse though. Never a problem, still going strong 16 years later.
Speaking of heads, was anyone here on "dat-heads digest" back in the day?

Yes! I was on that list for a while, and read a lot from the archives -- lots of collective wisdom there. I got a Sony DTC-75ES in 1990, used it a LOT for live recording and also for archiving music from older formats. Around a decade later I wore out that 75ES and bought a Fostex D5 which I still have.

Now I wish I had also kept the 75ES for rebuilding or just nostalgia, but I got a little money for it on eBay back then.
 
Back
Top Bottom