• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My new VPI Classic. Pictures and first impressions.

I was wondering myself how the plinth mounted cover stays on. My only concern is the smaller of my two cats. The fat one can't jump high enough to be a bother. The over-table cover is just massive looking and kind of looks like 'hey...my table belongs in a museum' even though, well, I kind of think it does! See...I'm already on the upgrade path, just not for sound.
 
I was wondering myself how the plinth mounted cover stays on. My only concern is the smaller of my two cats. The fat one can't jump high enough to be a bother. The over-table cover is just massive looking and kind of looks like 'hey...my table belongs in a museum' even though, well, I kind of think it does! See...I'm already on the upgrade path, just not for sound.

John, the first time I seen one of these covers in person on a Table, was at MusicDirect, and the full Size Cover was protecting a brand spanking new, drop dead gorgeous VPI Aries 1 Table. Cost of Table back then with Arm was about $2200, and the cover lid, a couple hundred more.

And you're right, the Table when covered looked like a museum piece! Especially that shiny, mirror-like Black Aries! I kick myself to this day, not buying that Table right on the spot! Bes Nievera was standing right alongside me while I was drooling, and I'm sure he would've given me a great deal:yes:

Elaborating about these covers some more, they are of exquisite quality. Flawlessly made. Mark
 
John, the first time I seen one of these covers in person on a Table, was at MusicDirect, and the full Size Cover was protecting a brand spanking new, drop dead gorgeous VPI Aries 1 Table. Cost of Table back then with Arm was about $2200, and the cover lid, a couple hundred more.

And you're right, the Table when covered looked like a museum piece! Especially that shiny, mirror-like Black Aries! I kick myself to this day, not buying that Table right on the spot! Bes Nievera was standing right alongside me while I was drooling, and I'm sure he would've given me a great deal:yes:

Elaborating about these covers some more, they are of exquisite quality. Flawlessly made. Mark

I have a tupperware storage container that's about the same size. Something tells me it's just not going to be the same.

(I'm kidding of course).

I'm probably going to rearrange my setup so that the TT is on my smaller rack-shelf with no place for the cat to walk around it, for the time being. It's more stable than the old console anyway, it's heavy with spiked footers.
 
Why not just use a cardboard box? :D


Seriously, that is one VERY nice turntable. VPI is one of the few new TT makers whose products I really admire, and the one you got is one of their nicest models. That thing is just simply beautiful. :yes: It makes sense to buy one really good "keeper" thing at a time, even if it is a little bit of a stretch to do so. [I wish I'd realized that earlier!] Getting a bargain on a barely-flawed demo must have made the purchase even more satisfying. Now you've got the two critical ends of the system --source and speakers-- covered, so the rest is just "fun" to tweak the sound to your tastes. CONGRATULATIONS! :thmbsp:
 
I can't stop looking at those pics!! Man!! I just keep comming back to this thread and thinking to myself..... a second mortgage couldn't be that bad.....:scratch2:
 
Why not just use a cardboard box? :D

It makes sense to buy one really good "keeper" thing at a time, even if it is a little bit of a stretch to do so. [I wish I'd realized that earlier!]

I've been struggling with this lately. The Empire was my 7th turntable, and though it was an improvement it still wasn't all the way where I wanted to be, even though it played a crucial role in me realizing what sound I was after.

I was making a lot of lateral moves and wasting a lot of money doing it, chasing after 'scores' in lieu of concentrating on fewer, better systems. I still will collect, I'm not naive, and I love to try out new amps/preamps/integrateds but this was very much about focusing my energy. As silly as it sounds, it will probably save me money in the long run.

I hope I'm not coming across as "hey look at my new expensive turntable!" because that is not my intention. I don't care one bit how much gear costs as long as it sounds good. In it's own way, I like the Empire 208 as much as the VPI, though I'll listen to the VPI more since the reasons I like it are more sonic-related. If anybody wants to hear it, come on over. My apartment looks like a record store exploded in it at the moment, though.

It is SO WIERD to not be thinking about what turntable I might find on Craigslist tomorrow, or what I'll upgrade to next. I'm serious, it feels really strange!
 
I've never heard a VPI classic, or any high-end turntable really, but I only have to look at it to know it will sound awesome. The build quality looks great, as you'd expect.
 
Ordered my new Classic

When I first saw the VPI Classic I knew it was a table that I might want to own someday. This thread helped close the deal for me and this coming Tuesday I hope to see a UPS tracking number in my inbox. I placed my order for one from Galen Carol Audio and can’t wait to get it. So, for now I will keep my backup SL-1210 mkII spinning! That unipivot arm might give me so trouble so I may need some help in the next few days. I will be mounting my Denon DL-160 for now and hope to upgrade in a few months. I wanted the black oak but Galen was only bringing in the walnut versions so that’s what I’m getting.

Regards, John
:banana:
 
When I first saw the VPI Classic I knew it was a table that I might want to own someday. This thread helped close the deal for me and this coming Tuesday I hope to see a UPS tracking number in my inbox. I placed my order for one from Galen Carol Audio and can’t wait to get it. So, for now I will keep my backup SL-1210 mkII spinning! That unipivot arm might give me so trouble so I may need some help in the next few days. I will be mounting my Denon DL-160 for now and hope to upgrade in a few months. I wanted the black oak but Galen was only bringing in the walnut versions so that’s what I’m getting.

Regards, John
:banana:

You bastard! (just kidding) -- I need to order the VPI asap as well! My local audio dealer can't seem to obtain one, so I think I might just order it from AudioAdvisor.

A fine decision sir. Congratulations. :thmbsp:
 
Ohh that looks nice! Plain and simple yet efficient. Cool!

Yep, that's why I knick-named it "the Ron Popeil of turntables" with a previous post, just pretty much "Set it, and forget it".

Of course, like any other Table, critical Arm-Cartidge set up will always reap rewards, and the only things that will need fussing with over the years, will be periodic belt changes, and I'll assume as well, periodic platter bearing lubrication.

Sort of being similar to the VPI HW-19 Table, in that the drive motor is permanently affixed, this will mean once the belt begins to stretch, you'll have to replace it, it won't be like some of the other current VPI Tables, with a SAMA, where you can slightly compensate for belt stretch by just moving the Motor a little further from the Platter to tighten the Belt.

I know some try the "ole Belt boiling trick" to get some more use from a belt, but this only temporarily holds off the inevitable replacement of Belt.

Who knows, there may be some future "hot ticket" mod, such as "silk thread/floss thread" that may work well on the Classic? Mark
 
John (johnVF),

please don't feel like you are bragging- I think I speak for most AKers that we are delighted in your good fortune to own such a nice turntable, and we find joy in your elation and happiness.

This also opens up possibilities to many folk who want fantastic sound without spending obscene amounts of cash.

While many folk will be pleased with the used tables off eBay and from audiogon, or scores from dumpsters and yard sales, or even new and excellent tables under a grand from Rega and Pro-Ject and Technics, it's also good to get the perspective of a more expensive table.

While there's a few who can afford $30,000 tables, I imagine there's plenty who could manage to swing a VPI like this for what, around $2,500?

I would love to be in a position right now where a table like this makes sense for me, but in the meantime, I can enjoy it vicariously through your words and experiences, and I hope if I was ever in your neck of the woods, in person as well.




So keep the words flowing and the opinions coming. I look forward to reading more from you, about this table.
 
When I first saw the VPI Classic I knew it was a table that I might want to own someday. This thread helped close the deal for me and this coming Tuesday I hope to see a UPS tracking number in my inbox. I placed my order for one from Galen Carol Audio and can’t wait to get it. So, for now I will keep my backup SL-1210 mkII spinning! That unipivot arm might give me so trouble so I may need some help in the next few days. I will be mounting my Denon DL-160 for now and hope to upgrade in a few months. I wanted the black oak but Galen was only bringing in the walnut versions so that’s what I’m getting.

Regards, John
:banana:


Congrats!

As much as I admire, respect and enjoy what the SL-1200 is, I betcha the VPI is going to be a nice improvement.

I'm a big fan of the precision a direct drive table can produce, and aware of shortcomings regarding lesser belt drive tables.

But with a massive and heavy platter like that and attention to detail that this VPI oozes, those issues should prove not applicable to this table.

Then the benefits of the belt drive can shine through!


Congrats
 
When I first saw the VPI Classic I knew it was a table that I might want to own someday. This thread helped close the deal for me and this coming Tuesday I hope to see a UPS tracking number in my inbox. I placed my order for one from Galen Carol Audio and can’t wait to get it. So, for now I will keep my backup SL-1210 mkII spinning! That unipivot arm might give me so trouble so I may need some help in the next few days. I will be mounting my Denon DL-160 for now and hope to upgrade in a few months. I wanted the black oak but Galen was only bringing in the walnut versions so that’s what I’m getting.

Regards, John
:banana:

Congratulations. I hope you are as happy as I am. If you have a 1210, this isn't actually a huge jump in complexity. Actually, it's simpler from a mechanical standpoint, but the unipivot arm is different than anything I've encountered and certainly not as simple to set up as the arm in the Technics. This is what prompted me to buy a cartridge and have them (music direct..they're right down the road from where I live) install it. I'm sure I could figure it out, there are detailed instructions that come with the table, but I was so excited to get it that I didn't want to have to spend two hours playing with cartridge setup.

And welcome to AK! Please come by more often.
 
Back
Top Bottom