• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My new VPI Classic. Pictures and first impressions.

You bastard! (just kidding) -- I need to order the VPI asap as well! My local audio dealer can't seem to obtain one, so I think I might just order it from AudioAdvisor.

A fine decision sir. Congratulations. :thmbsp:

I know what you mean MaxSeven, heck after reading-participating in this thread, I wanna go buy one too!:yes: Darn, why couldn't we all be lottery winners here, huh?!:sigh:

I'd like suggesting, because it is often common in the high end audio industry, to perhaps call around for prices, there could be some slight variances on "street prices", and also what shipping may cost, dependent upon where a dealer is located from you?

There might be a few bucks able to be saved? Most the big VPI dealers all have 1-800 numbers, so no cost to ask. Mark
 
John (johnVF),

please don't feel like you are bragging- I think I speak for most AKers that we are delighted in your good fortune to own such a nice turntable, and we find joy in your elation and happiness.

This also opens up possibilities to many folk who want fantastic sound without spending obscene amounts of cash.

While many folk will be pleased with the used tables off eBay and from audiogon, or scores from dumpsters and yard sales, or even new and excellent tables under a grand from Rega and Pro-Ject and Technics, it's also good to get the perspective of a more expensive table.

While there's a few who can afford $30,000 tables, I imagine there's plenty who could manage to swing a VPI like this for what, around $2,500?

I would love to be in a position right now where a table like this makes sense for me, but in the meantime, I can enjoy it vicariously through your words and experiences, and I hope if I was ever in your neck of the woods, in person as well.




So keep the words flowing and the opinions coming. I look forward to reading more from you, about this table.

If you're ever in Chicago, please, feel free to stop by. There's lots of cool audio toys in my littel abode.

I wish I had more experience with fantastic tables so that I could better compare how much better or worse this is than some, but I can't. For somebody wanting an easy to set up table that you don't have to tweak to get great sound of, this one seems like a great choice.
 
You bastard! (just kidding) -- I need to order the VPI asap as well! My local audio dealer can't seem to obtain one, so I think I might just order it from AudioAdvisor.

A fine decision sir. Congratulations. :thmbsp:

I got mine frm MusicDirect, but I didn't order it. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Their warehouse is down the street from me, and you can go there in person. I can say without hesitation that it was the best high-end audio-buying experience I've had, they are the nicest people. No attitude whatsoever. The guy who set up the arm and cartridge even called me the next day to make sure that it sounded right when I had it in my system.

Are there AK sponsors that have it, too? I only went to MusicDirect because they're a few blocks from my home. Learning that I can go there and pick up anything they have in stock is going to be dangerous to my wallet (as it already has been....).
 
Congrats John.

Many people state that loudspeakers make the biggest difference to a system.My reply to that;is that difference does not automatically equate to improvement.

Improving the Source component really does consititute an improvement(and it makes the loudspeakers sound like they are improved :smoke:).

Enjoy your new system-sound. :thmbsp:
 
That is one beautiful table. Well... they both are.

I've found that many times, if a piece of gear looks good it sounds good. Not always of course. And I totally got drawn in by the look of the Classic. I was toast the first time I saw a picture of it. But... have you ever seen an Empire 698 in person? As much as I love both of these turntables, I think the 698 is the most beautiful turntable ever made. It looks much nicer in person. I was playing with one last week (I don't have one) and it just oozes class. There's at least one thread on AK praising it's performance as well.
 
Congrats John.

Many people state that loudspeakers make the biggest difference to a system.My reply to that;is that difference does not automatically equate to improvement.

Improving the Source component really does consititute an improvement(and it makes the loudspeakers sound like they are improved :smoke:).

Enjoy your new system-sound. :thmbsp:

My turntables had been good enough to evaluate my speakers and amps but yes, I'd reached a plateau with what I had. Nothing was going to get better without a better source signal. And now the preamp and amp and speakers have all been taken to a new level. I think the key is having gear that will allow something like the Classic to shine, and to not have any bottlenecks. Thankfully, I've been lucky enough to find some really nice amps and preamps, and speakers. I'm going to try another pair of speakers soon to see where they go with the new turntable (my vintage B&W DM2a, kind of/sort of like a Spendor BC1 with a transmission line).
 
My turntables had been good enough to evaluate my speakers and amps but yes, I'd reached a plateau with what I had. Nothing was going to get better without a better source signal. And now the preamp and amp and speakers have all been taken to a new level. I think the key is having gear that will allow something like the Classic to shine, and to not have any bottlenecks. Thankfully, I've been lucky enough to find some really nice amps and preamps, and speakers. I'm going to try another pair of speakers soon to see where they go with the new turntable (my vintage B&W DM2a, kind of/sort of like a Spendor BC1 with a transmission line).

Agreed.

My credo is that there needs to be a balance of ability right along the system-chain.Upgrades have to start at the Source and work their way down.

Removing bottlenecks allows more of the virtues of the Source,to shine.Every true improvement(upstream of the speakers)allows the sound of the speakers to improve,given that we are talking about a system with a balance of virtues all along the chain.

Once again.Enjoy your new Source component. :thmbsp:
 
Classic VPI

Thanks for the encouragement Guys! Yep, the 1210 is a real workhorse and should get more recognition IMHO! The Pro-ject 1 Xpression and speed box is eBay bound! I thread had an impression on me, that’s for sure.



I’ve been messing around with turntables maybe 42 years now and my first “real” table was a Dual 1225 rim drive from united audio and the dealer mounted a Shure V15 on it. My system was typical of the very early 70’s with a Japanese made Nikko 8085 receiver and a cheap pair of AMC [American Monitor Corp.] 3-ways… The Dual opened my eyes to what music should sound like but I never could get over the rumble from the platter so in the late 70’s moved to the Dual CS-606 direct drive. My problem is that I have never liked investing large sums of money in audio gear. My two channel system today is still very modest by today standards. I am currently setup with the 1210 mkII, Hagerman classic cornet tube phono stage, Ming da MC/mm all tube phono stage,[ the Ming Da is an unbelievable great sounding pre] Rotel RC-1070 pre, RC-1070 Amp and my best investment a pair of PMC TB-1 plus speakers. I mostly listen to vinyl but will throw on a cd from time to time. Anyway, I’m excited about getting my new toy and if I can get my old digital camera to work I will post a picture of it in a few weeks. A good part of the day for me was building a shelf so I can place the two tables side by side.
ps. Galen Carol is a super nice guy and easy to do business with. I purchased my VPI 16.5 RCM from him last year.....you can find him on the www.

John
 
Thanks for the encouragement Guys! Yep, the 1210 is a real workhorse and should get more recognition IMHO! The Pro-ject 1 Xpression and speed box is eBay bound! I thread had an impression on me, that’s for sure.



I’ve been messing around with turntables maybe 42 years now and my first “real” table was a Dual 1225 rim drive from united audio and the dealer mounted a Shure V15 on it. My system was typical of the very early 70’s with a Japanese made Nikko 8085 receiver and a cheap pair of AMC [American Monitor Corp.] 3-ways… The Dual opened my eyes to what music should sound like but I never could get over the rumble from the platter so in the late 70’s moved to the Dual CS-606 direct drive. My problem is that I have never liked investing large sums of money in audio gear. My two channel system today is still very modest by today standards. I am currently setup with the 1210 mkII, Hagerman classic cornet tube phono stage, Ming da MC/mm all tube phono stage,[ the Ming Da is an unbelievable great sounding pre] Rotel RC-1070 pre, RC-1070 Amp and my best investment a pair of PMC TB-1 plus speakers. I mostly listen to vinyl but will throw on a cd from time to time. Anyway, I’m excited about getting my new toy and if I can get my old digital camera to work I will post a picture of it in a few weeks. A good part of the day for me was building a shelf so I can place the two tables side by side.
ps. Galen Carol is a super nice guy and easy to do business with. I purchased my VPI 16.5 RCM from him last year.....you can find him on the www.

John

With all that attention paid to the phono-pre and preamp, I think your classic will shine. And it should make those PMCs shine. Are you running them with a sub or in a room small enough to where there bass won't get lost? I only ask because the bass from the VPI is phenominal. Not boomy by any means, but tight and melodic. It just sounds big...lots of information being picked up, and it really rejects vibration. I have been away from home all day and havne't listened to mine, and I miss it...been thinking all day about playing it.
 
The Hagerman Classic Cornet was another bold move for me because it was a kit and I was somewhat concerned how it would sound in my system. After getting some very good matched signal tubes burned in it just blew my little Parasound Zphono away! That was the main reason I went with the Denon 160 MC cartridge. No Sub., my music room is very small. Those PMC’s are transmission line types and will reach almost 40Hz. I’ve read where Michael Fremer does not like the way Harry’s unipivot arms “quiver” at times, but then I have no experience with one and more than likely it is not a problem for most users.

John
 
I didn't realize they were transmission line. I bet they sound fantastic. I've never heard a pair of PMC speakers, though. I've admired them in pictures, though!

I had read a few threads somewhere where people were turned off by the unipivot. After getting the VPI all I can say is...really? This is what they're turned off by? It works great. So it's a bit wobbly if you move it around without steady hands. Well, either use steady hands or use the arm lift. Problem solved. I actually think it's kind of neat. The first person I showed it to said "whoa! That's cool!".

Note..I didn't have to set it up myself. I might be singing a different tune if I had. Azimuth seemed to be the only wonky thing but I'm sure with some care it wouldn't be hard to figure out.
 
Congrats on the table John, a really beautiful piece and I think I understand your excitement with the sound - I went through the same when I first started listening to my VPI Aries I table/JMW10.5 arm.
 
Congrats on the table John, a really beautiful piece and I think I understand your excitement with the sound - I went through the same when I first started listening to my VPI Aries I table/JMW10.5 arm.

The Aries I is an absolutely beautiful table in it's own right. Though it's obviously of a completely different design theory, it always reminded me of the TD-124 in it's classiness. The rounded edges especially. All the VPI designs look very balanced.
 
I had the distinct pleasure to set up our display Classic yesterday (Saturday) and it is a breeze...took about 20 minutes to unpack it and get the Benz Ace H S off the Planar 5 and on to the Classic...We got in three of the Classics this past Friday, one is tagged and waiting for the UPS guy to pick up Tuesday, one is in stock...and the third is the one I set up...

I set the Classic up in the same system that the P-5 had been in and believe me, there's just no comparison....the VPI just walks all over the P-5, and it's a fair comparison, because I used the exact same cartridge on both tables....

It took putting $1500 worth of Stillpoints equipment stands and isolation devices under the Rega to even get it to sound like anything remotely like I'd have..and even then, to me, and understand these are all just my opinions, the Rega was boring and plodding, the VPI, in contrast, was lively and alert sounding, a much better record playing machine over all...and yes, speeds were checked for accuracy...to get the P-5 to perform better would take rewiring the arm with an Incognito kit, adding the external power supply, and using shims/spacers under the Rega tonearm to set VTA...and then you'd only be a few hundred short form the superior Classic...and nowhere near the build quality.

The cartridge alignment tool works great and leaves you no doubt as to where the cartridge should be...BUT BE AWARE: The Denon DL-103 will not fit on this arm. The spacing of the 103's pins, and their location causes interference between the lead wires and the back of the headshell area preventing you from getting the 103 to line up properly...darn! I really wanted to hear what the 103 sounded like on the Classic...oh well...

Adjusting the azimuth on the unipivot is really quite easy, if you have the proper tools....we have the Signet/Audio Technica diagnostic tool that comes with an LP with test bands on it that alternate between L and R channels....by adjusting the azimuth I was able to get over a 40db null using the Benz cartridge and a channel balance that was spot on...that's one of the reasons I love Benz cartridges, they are just such well made devices...but I would imagine anyone with a voltmeter and a test record that has alternating bands of 1kHz frequnecies could do every bit as well, but it would involve a bit more time to do it...I did end up having to tweak the azimuth a tiny bit from approximately level, and it did end up appearing to be quite level after the tweaking...so, if you don't have anything to set up azimuth, then the factory instructions should get you at least in the ball park, you might not get that last dB of difference, but you might not ever be able to tell...it's just what we do with tables when we set them up.

Now, be aware, that if you are a 75 pound weakling, you aren't gonna be able to heft this baby up on a very tall shelf! The Classic is one beefy piece of gear...it feels like a rock and is about as maneuverable as one, too!

But, of all the tables I have seen lately this has become one of my favorites, you just get so much more for this amount of money than just about anything else out there...and the tonearm is just a work of art, simple, beautifully executed, and easy to remove to change cartridges, etc.

You really have to spend a lot more money to get something better from any other manufacturer, at least if you are here in the States...

Of all the tables I have had the pleasure of working on this past year from the likes of Ariston, Linn, Rega, Michell, Clear Audio, Basis, even a Michell Hydraulic and a Oracle Alexandria Mk II, the VPI Classic is my clear favorite of all of them...and, this is coming from a long time Linn Sondek owner and technician, too! Second favorite would be the VPI Scout...the higher end VPI's just have too much going on with them in the form of outboard motors, flywheels, and especially the "real estate" requirements, that to me they aren't as appealing, but that does not take away from the fact that VPI makes superb tables, and record cleaning machines!

So, congrats on the new acquisitions, I'm sure all that have these tables are going to really love 'em!
 
Rick, thank you for that detailed review. It really is a rock, isn't it?

I haven't actually gotten to listen to mine again from the first night much until just now and it sounds even better than I remember. It is so simply, but beautifully executed that I am hard pressed to think of a table I've ever seen that I'd want over this.

I'm about to rearrange my listening area around it so that I can put it on a dedicated heavier shelf. My back isn't looking forward to it. I'm not a 75 lb weakling...more like a 140lb weakling.
 
Weird...I never knew Willie Nelson was so well produced. I'm going through albums I've not listened to in about a decade and have worked my way back to what I listened to of my parents' when I was a kid. The album "Always on my mind" sounds FANTASTIC. I guess this is what it's all about?
 
I'm happy that everybody seems to be as excited as I am.

I am very excited for you John, I didn't know you were even thinking of buying a turntable of this caliber. When it came out I looked at it and thought, that may very well be my next turntable, so I'm happy that you're so impressed. And I already know from first-hand experience that the 10X5 is a great cartridge, but your VPI is probably getting even more out of it than my Pro-Ject. Plus, as Mark already said, now you have a platform that is capable of handling pretty much any cartridge you throw at it (but don't actually throw them).

Definitely look forward to reading more about your experiences with this as time goes by.
 
I am very excited for you John, I didn't know you were even thinking of buying a turntable of this caliber. When it came out I looked at it and thought, that may very well be my next turntable, so I'm happy that you're so impressed. And I already know from first-hand experience that the 10X5 is a great cartridge, but your VPI is probably getting even more out of it than my Pro-Ject. Plus, as Mark already said, now you have a platform that is capable of handling pretty much any cartridge you throw at it (but don't actually throw them).

Definitely look forward to reading more about your experiences with this as time goes by.

I'm still letting it sink in. I honestly didn't know I was looking for a turntable of this caliber, either. I just got an itch and had to scratch it!

I am so happy I did. Every part of my system sounds better now. I'm sitting here thinking "what do I do now?" because I've been thinking how to upgrade different things for a long time. I guess I'll just sit back and listen.

Here's a positive review I just came across:

http://www.lyricusa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73
 
Back
Top Bottom