• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My newest speaker build.

cleonjr

Super Member
Ok fresh from my secret laboratory I have finished my latest hybrid build. it consists of Klh 900b cabinents and a 8" acoustic audio woofer 4 ohm 80 oz magnet and a 4 0hm Pyle titanium super bullit tweeter( I realy do not like pyle much but these are good tweets) And the misdrange is a AR 216 ps 5" 4 ohm driver with a 40 oz magnet(heavy little bugger) and some mirage terminal plates I got from PE (I really like these I bought 8 sets) and my crossove is a first order using a 1.95mh coil on the woofer and a .40mh 15uf in series on the mid and the tweeter gets a 4.7uf poly cap. I will do some pictures later just wanted to get this out there as a preview.
 
Register to hide this ad
ok here are some pictures of the crossover and drivers, I am by no means as talented as some of the builds I see here but I like to share my hobbie too.

HPIM0864.JPG HPIM0871.JPG HPIM0873.JPG HPIM0874.JPG HPIM0877.JPG HPIM0880.JPG HPIM0885.JPG HPIM0890.JPG HPIM0891.JPG HPIM0892.JPG
 
and this is what they look like finished, connected and playing on my technics su v8x 150 wats of pure cass A power. so far so good sound as I expected them to. dont know if caps have a burn in time but out the box i like the sound of them. these might not be a purdy by the book build but it's mine I am am happy with the results(forgot the wool stuffing in one will add it later after I listen for a while) the bass is solid and tight the mids are there and the highs are spot on, there are flaws I can hear though could have gave a little more mid to the tweeters. that is why i did the crossovers like that so I could add and subtract coils and caps at will. well here they are for you guys to check out.I wish you could hear them.

HPIM0894.JPG HPIM0895.JPG HPIM0896.JPG HPIM0898.JPG
 
ok the highs are more present probaly need to switch for a lower sensitive i have some others i will try and match. realy not noticable only at low volume. I have some avid dome tweeters i might try.
 
Ummmmm.... you didn't mention the power handling range or rating for your speaker system... do you have an estimate on this as you will be kicking them drivers with that Technics..

Just curious o_O.. ?
 
Ummmmm.... you didn't mention the power handling range or rating for your speaker system... do you have an estimate on this as you will be kicking them drivers with that Technics..

Just curious o_O.. ?
this is all done with drivers i had laying around, so i have no measurements, with all drivers connected i am getting 5.6 ohm on my meter. the mid caps are 100v and the 4.7uf cap is 250v if that sheds any light. yes I am a dummy that snuck in when everyone was eating breakfast. maybe on my next build i wil try and be a bit more orthodox(probaly not)
 
No.... no ill mention intended.. and apologize if it sounded as such.

I was looking at your power base and expectations for the speaker system handling ability.. particularly because it appears to be a 4 ohm system.

If I am correct, this will make it very responsive to your amp power out.. I am curious as to the effect on the drivers and the resulting sound.. look forward to your results and your "after report".
 
No.... no ill mention intended.. and apologize if it sounded as such.

I was looking at your power base and expectations for the speaker system handling ability.. particularly because it appears to be a 4 ohm system.

If I am correct, this will make it very responsive to your amp power out.. I am curious as to the effect on the drivers and the resulting sound.. look forward to your results and your "after report".
no worrys,I didnt take it in a bad way. I was just adding agaian that I am a novice. but yea there is room for improvement right now i am to critical and need to listen for a few days,my gut feeling is they are right the way they are. if anything the highs need to be a trad suttler but with most titanium drivers i have heard that is their caracteristic. I have been listening to textile domes so I think i need to get used to the sound. it is not harsh but listenable.not really a high volume listener anymore but at moderate power levels they shine. it is the really low volume were i can hear the tweeter overpowering the system.
 
I fully approve of projects that use what's lying close at hand. Most all of mine happen that way- getting there is half the fun.
 
I fully approve of projects that use what's lying close at hand. Most all of mine happen that way- getting there is half the fun.
yea i am happy with these. I have lots of other drivers and cabinets one of the perks of this hobby is lots of parts. tommorow i will put the speakers to the test when i can play a tad louder.
 
I do not have anyone to listen to these with me so I share this with AK, just want to show my work off. i will most likely be the only owner of these speakers as they are not much to look atbut that is not what speakers are about(to me anyway) sound trumps all.
 
Hey Cleon,

This right here is what it's all about! Having fun with our hobby, experimenting, reaping the rewards of your work.
No neighbors, friends or near by AKers to hear them?

You seem to have a good understanding of crossovers, more than me!

Enjoyable reading. Keep the updates coming.

Glenn
 
Glenn, No no Neighbors that would appreciate music I am an old fogey surrounded by Young people that like that ganster rap(wich I like the more possitive stuff they play) Freinds and family are in Colorado. me and the wife came here to Muskogee to take care of my parents and decided to stay taking a liking to the small town atmosphere. My Wife who never comments on my sound Did say she liked the sound Last evening. that made me happy.Gonna get these babys rocking later maybe even turn the amp up to 3 or 4 wich is 9 and 10 oclock on the volume control. One thing I can say is these are pretty solid I used 16 gauge wire for the corssover wiring and inside connections. I have to laugh that you said about my understanding of crossovers, I used the specs from my sylvania sw 105 speaker and improvised on the low end to cross at 400hz and the highs at 9000khz with the mids hopefully picking up whats left in the middle.
I knew these would be hit or miss but I am fairly certain I hit em inbetween the eyes.

The only regret I have about this hobby is I can only listen to one set of speakers at a time.I could run 2 sets A-B but I like enjoying one set at a time.One of the reasons I switched to smaller bookshelf my muscles just cant lift like they used to.it would be nothing to heft up a set of 80 pound floor standers in my prime. Any Way I love my Music and I am Thankful that I can still fool around some with experimenting with things.
 
That AR driver you're using for a mid is actually a woofer isn't it?
they were in a center channel cabinet, for their size i felt they were suitable for the task. and yes this speaker build I would call a success. probally gonna be in circulation for a spell. getting used to the tweeters definitly not a soft dome. all n all these speakers hit hard, tight bass mids sound right and highs sparkle.
 
Back
Top Bottom