Yes good big power cost a lot, or a good pro amp and really a good one cost the same.But the issue I keep coming back to is that of expense. For some people, cost is no object in the pursuit of audio perfection (regardless of whether it is an achievable goal). For most people though, bigger may be better, but it is also much more expensive.
Everyone else is willing to live with whatever 200 bucks will get you. But even audiophiles have budgets. What you already own is infinitely cheaper than the alternatives, and if you like it, blowing a fuse now and then may be fine. Or maybe turning it down just a little bit will also be fine.
However one can reduce the cost and get very high efficient speakers. If he had some 100w, 102db speakers with his 150 watt amp he can blow himself out the room. And here again he would be over powering the speakers with the advantage of head room and power on reserve. Also with 102db speakers and 150 watts he can go very loud without clipping.
So there is cheaper options and this is why I never start with speakers, I match speakers to the power I can afford. The same with the belief that one needs to spend 50% of the budget on speakers, that's dumb IMHO. You can't arbitrarily buy speakers without knowing the power your going to have as you can't spend all your money on the speakers and not be able to afford the power.


