• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My VPI RCM came in yesterday and...

Elitemav

Super Member
its pretty awesome. unfortunately I cant listen to the cleaned records yet. I bent my cantilever on xmas eve and then ordered a new cartridge and they sent me a pmount so I had to send it back to exchange it for a standard. so I gotta wait another week or week and 1/2 before my new cartridge comes in. I am done cleaning about half of my collection already I was cleaning a ton yesterday and will do some today. as much as I want to listen to see how well they sound vs just using my spin clean before and gruv glide I'll have to wait but at least my collection will be all clean and ready when my new cartridge arrives :D very cool machine and very straight forward and easy to use. when draining the tank you can see all kinds of crap the spin clean didnt get so I can already tell they will sound better. the new machines like I got come with standard switches instead of the metal toggle switches but I kinda wish i had the metal toggle switches just because I like that style especially on my old tube amps. anyhow I cant wait to listen to my records again after being better cleaned. and as always I add my gruv glide treatment after every clean :yes:
 
Register to hide this ad
Congrats.

Now would be a good time to order some polylined innersleeves....

I got some Diskeepr Ultimate audiophile sleeves that IMHO are the best sleeves there are. also got some mofi sleeves because I got a deal of 50 for $12 but the diskeepers are what I am using first after each clean.
 
Cool! I use ones from Bags Unlimited and Square Deal. I originally resisted using replacement sleeves for new records but I often heard and felt solid particles in the original sleeve when removing and inserting the lp. Don't know the cause, but the solution is replacement polys.
 
Once you have one of these VPI RCM's you will wonder why you didnt buy it long ago. World of difference (most of the time!)
 
Once you have one of these VPI RCM's you will wonder why you didnt buy it long ago. World of difference (most of the time!)

thats what sold me was reading a lot of people spin cleaning and doing all kinds of stuff that I tried with dish soap and paint pads and what not and then getting a rcm and wishing they had just done that a long time ago. I have seen tons of threads about that. haha
 
Vetry common report by people that purchase a RCM after doing sink cleaning, Spin Clean, wood glue, steam cleaning etc is they always say they now regret not buying a RCM years ago after seeing/hearing the results. Biggest sonic upgrade you will ever make to an analog system is a RCM.
 
+1 on noticing the difference

Now don't skimp on the cleaning fluids. Whatever you use to clean, your last step IMO is rinsing with the cleanest water you can afford.
 
I got some Diskeepr Ultimate audiophile sleeves that IMHO are the best sleeves there are. also got some mofi sleeves because I got a deal of 50 for $12 but the diskeepers are what I am using first after each clean.

+1!

Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile inners for the win! Best I've used. Having both sides with the paper insert makes a huge difference in terms of stiffness.

Another +1 for the RCM. Makes a huge difference.
 
+1 on noticing the difference

Now don't skimp on the cleaning fluids. Whatever you use to clean, your last step IMO is rinsing with the cleanest water you can afford.

my roomate has a coffee machine repair business and he has this water filtration system thats supposed to make the cleanest water possible. I guess a lot of people use tap water for there machines and over time it ruins them and he tells them to buy this system. we have one in the garage so I am able to get super clean water all the time so I use it for cleaning brushes and rinsing. it looks like some lab equipment machine thing for cleaning water. it looks crazy. haha
 
I have an RO water system under the sink. But I've been buying distilled water for the final rinse myself. Maybe the RO would be better?
 
I have an RO water system under the sink. But I've been buying distilled water for the final rinse myself. Maybe the RO would be better?

I am wondering that myself. haha. I forgot to also mention about the VPI now has a larger record clamp. I have seen in the videos on youtube eveyones is this little tiny one but mine is about the size of my turntable record clamp. just thought I'd mention it for those who would like to know whats been changed. I am almost finished with cleaning my collection I may be able to finish tomorrow I got a ton done today. I just cant wait for my cartridge to come in which will probably take forever and a day. haha
 
Once we move and get settled I'm going to seek out someone locally with a RCM that can clean a few LPs for me so I can see before hand how much of a difference these machines actually make. I'm very satisfied with my old school method but I'm willing to investigate.
 
Wally...

Once we move and get settled I'm going to seek out someone locally with a RCM that can clean a few LPs for me so I can see before hand how much of a difference these machines actually make. I'm very satisfied with my old school method but I'm willing to investigate.

You will be amazed..I built my own (but incorporated VPI's wand) and my albums are silent..no pops, no crackles, nothing. Only think that can make a sound is a physical mark (scratch) and I don;t really keep those..

I also went to the vinyl liners...to many times I had clean LP's put them in the paper sleave and it came out needing full cleaning again..way to much paper dust and crap.

560177_469574706391330_419624715_n.jpg
 
I've been having a bit of a sell-off of unused equipment today to pony up the money for one. I have the bits and pieces to make one but it never gets done.
My whacky scheme was to use a sewing machine treadle base as the platform and motive power. I've gotten as far as securing the treadle assembly, having it sand blasted, painted, sourcing a Technics platter and having a machinist friend make the necessary interface for the platter with thrust bearing and shaft for the pulley that would drive it via belt from the treadle wheel. It really just all has to get assembled but I can't seem to get around to it and I'm really tiring of the sink mess.
 
Congratulations on your RCM...
I use a NG 1.5 and I really like it,If my vinyl guy sold VPI then that's what I would own...:thmbsp:
 
looks like I will probably get my new cartridge by the end of the week so I can finally hear my records again. will also be nice knowing my stylus is hitting on cleaner vinyl :) I just finished cleaning my entire collection. well the ones I listen to anyways. haha
 
Finally I get to listen to the records I have cleaned! just installed my new Grado cart and man does it sound good and my feshly clean records sound phenominal.
 
Check your Grado cartridge occasionally, you'll b amazed how clean the stylus stays now that you have a RCM and clean records.
 
Back
Top Bottom