• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery Part / Thing

yzzaj

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
About 6 years ago, I bought two Technics SL-1200-MK3D's from my stepson. He had used them for a few years occasionally doing some DJ stuff. Before I bought them, he had them in storage place for a couple of years in their original boxes with manuals. Inside one of the boxes was the mystery part / thingy. He had no idea what it was or how it got there. I put it in one of my turntable "small parts boxes" and forgot about it.

Just purchased another turntable to add to the herd, and while preparing one the systems for introduction of the new family member once it arrives, I opened the small parts box and re-discovered the thingy.

I don't recognize it as something to do with an SL-1200 and/or any other turntable, but who knows? Maybe something to do with DJ equipment? Maybe just a thingy that go thrown in with some of his stuff and has nothing to do with audio?

It's a little less that the diameter of a quarter on the bottom, and has a small black O-ring (see pic).

Anybody recognize it?

index.php


index.php


20181130_074225_zpsglrvhugx.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I'm guessing an add on counter weight. There'd be a hole in the end of the tone arm shaft, or in the primary counter weight for it to plug into.

In case you had a very heavy cartridge.
 
I'm seeing the image both in my original post and in your quoted reply.
Your first two tries seem to point into your private media area, which I can't see. The third attempt works.

I agree with BigElCat -- looks like an add-on counterweight.
 
I'm guessing an add on counter weight. There'd be a hole in the end of the tone arm shaft, or in the primary counter weight for it to plug into.

In case you had a very heavy cartridge.

It could be.

It would have to be quite a heavy cartridge. I imagine some of these young DJs might use a brick cartridge like that.

The "thingy" weights 28.15 grams. Just short of an ounce.
 
If the 1200 is belt driven, it might be a replacement bearing for 50hz electrical electrical systems. I got a piece like that for my Garrard turntable that I bought in England. It played way too fast at home. The voltage was set correctly but the speed was way too fast. Once the bearing was replaced under the idler wheel, it slowed the platter down to correct speed.
 
I'm guessing an add on counter weight. There'd be a hole in the end of the tone arm shaft, or in the primary counter weight for it to plug into.

In case you had a very heavy cartridge.

That's exactly what it is. That looks identical to my Sansui SR-838 secondary counter weight.

Rob
 
That's exactly what it is. That looks identical to my Sansui SR-838 secondary counter weight.

Not sure it belongs on a Technics 1200 arm though as all the arms I've seen have an 8mm threaded hole for the additional counterweight, and 28gm seems way too heavy.
 
Knowing it's weight does cast a doubt in my mind. 28 grams in addition to a primary counter-weight would equate to a huge cartridge.

It also tells us that it is not aluminum, which is what I had assumed. It would almost have to be a precious metal, like palladium.

Stopper for a flask?
Interesting idea. The neck would be awfully small to drink from....maybe a stopper for an ultra-expensive perfume bottle...Palladium Lady No. 9 :D

Well, maybe it's for a Sansui table. If so, I think they are hard to find.

Rob

Your image doesn't show on my screen. Not saying you're wrong, but do you happen to know how much a secondary Sansui counter-weight weighs ?
 
That's exactly what it is. That looks identical to my Sansui SR-838 secondary counter weight.

Rob

After reading your post and the post you quoted, I tend to agree that's what it would be.


Not sure it belongs on a Technics 1200 arm though as all the arms I've seen have an 8mm threaded hole for the additional counterweight, and 28gm seems way too heavy.

True statement on the 1200 arm. I currently have tonearm resonance caps (nylon with bonded rubber and metal damper) on the end of both the 1200 tonearms. They screw into the threaded hole nicely.

KAB sells some counterweights for the 1200 that are that 'heavy'. Those counterweights are small weighted slotted discs that slide onto a hanger screw (1g, 2g, 5g, 10g, 20g, 50g). They mention an Ortofon SPU as an example of a 'heavy' cartridge.


Well, maybe it's for a Sansui table. If so, I think they are hard to find.

Rob

Well, worth keeping in the turntable parts box then. "Hard to find" means "rare" which means it might be worth a ga-zillion dollars!!! :D Seriously, if I find someone with a Sansui who is looking for one, always nice to pass on still useful items.


.
 
Knowing it's weight does cast a doubt in my mind. 28 grams in addition to a primary counter-weight would equate to a huge cartridge.

See my post above about KAB selling heavy counterweights.

It also tells us that it is not aluminum, which is what I had assumed. It would almost have to be a precious metal, like palladium.

Palladium Spot Prices Price Today
Palladium Price Per Ounce $1,179.20 as of 12/1/18

Not a ga-zillion dollars, but it would buy a few martini's......:)


Not saying you're wrong, but do you happen to know how much a secondary Sansui counter-weight weighs ?

I would also be interested...


.
 
Back
Top Bottom