• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NAB adaptors

Register to hide this ad
Check if yours have a round metal ring on the back, if so take it off for playing plastic, they are thicker :)
 
Check if yours have a round metal ring on the back, if so take it off for playing plastic, they are thicker :)

The ones I have don't have any such ring, though the machine came with flexible plastic spacer disks for use with metal spools. My concern is that with NAB adaptors with what appears to be a built-in spacer ring around them, I could run into problems with thicker reels.
 
What model nr of the adaptors do you have ?
Teac's TZ-612 came with a metal ring on the backside with 3 small screws, when playing plastic reels, the ring should be taken off.
Also Tascam make a newer adaptor with just a Tascam logo in the center, have the same feature.
 
What model nr of the adaptors do you have ?
Teac's TZ-612 came with a metal ring on the backside with 3 small screws, when playing plastic reels, the ring should be taken off.
Also Tascam make a newer adaptor with just a Tascam logo in the center, have the same feature.

I don't have them yet - I'm looking at some on eBay. They look like the Tascam ones you describe, so I think they'll do fine. Thanks for your help.
 
There are some aftermarket adaptors (cheaper) similar to original that came with 3340 models, just a round plastic with 3 pegs for the reel.
See the two on the left side in the picture below:
They will work on both metal and plastic reels without changing anything :)

TeacA-3340S047.jpg
 
There are some aftermarket adaptors (cheaper) similar to original that came with 3340 models, just a round plastic with 3 pegs for the reel.
See the two on the left side in the picture below:
They will work on both metal and plastic reels without changing anything :)

Yes, those are exactly the kind I have already. I would like to get a pair of the kind that mount directly to the reel tables - they will be less fiddly to use.
 
A couple of different models will fit your 3340.
3440, 44, 40-4, 6300.
Size of the table + center on the inside is the important part.
Your center-pin is the same on all listed above.
DSCF0362.jpg


DSCF0363.jpg


Good luck on your search :thmbsp:
 
Radial reel run-out

I have a question about my X2000-R. The adapters seem like they are in good shape, but I get a vibration in FF and RR because the reels do not fit snug on the adapters which allows them to be radially off center a little bit. I am new to 10.5 reels, but just seems like there should be a little less slop when mounting them on the adapters. The locks work great and hold the reel firmly, just have that off centering problem. Any ideas??
 
Sorry I should have stated that. All Maxell metal reels. The hub adapters are stock TEAC TZ762 if I remember correctly. Those are plastic.
attachment.php
 
I used a CD behind the reels to make up the extra width I needed for 10" on my 3340 with the NAB clamps. It's an annoying work-around, but cheap.
 
Well the problem I am having isn't with alignment (in or out) it's (up and down) movement. I noticed I would have some issues with the 7 inch reels scraping the tape and used the clear CD from a CD spindle for a spacer, then I figured out how to adjust the spindle height so I don't need to do that anymore. Just still have that problem with the reels not centering on the hub adapters properly. Adapters are not worn a bit and the reels are in mint condition so not like they are worn out inside. I do notice that the hub adapters have small slits in the plastic that look like they act as kind of a "spring" to provide a interference fit but they are completely flush so they aren't doing a whole lot of good. Maybe I just need to get some better adapters if there isn't a better solution. What do ya think TX?
 
Thanks for the picture, you have the ring mounted on the adaptor so that's not the problem.
Sounds like a worn adaptor if there is movement up and down, shouldn't be completly solid.
Maybe invest in a new pair from Teac, you got a gorgeous deck there by the way :)
 
Awww thanks Vintage! This was when I brought it home... straight from the garage sale, all covered in dust and bird poop! Ewww. It looks amazing now that I have it all cleaned up, lubed and adjusted. I even managed to remove the rust from the allen screws on the front with a chealting agent we sell at my store. That stuff is magic! I'll post some pics in the "show your deck" giggle... section. So the reels shouldn't have like an 1/8 in slop up and down when you mount them? Seemed fishy to me... Any you would suggest to replace them with? I guess I don't mind the way it is, but when you FF or RR it can vibrate the whole machine and the tape looks like crap on the reel!
 
I also had that problem with my adaptors, When I tightened the nut, I just made sure to lift the reel up about 1/16th of an inch. I got pretty good at it after a while, they were never perfect, but damn near close.
 
Back
Top Bottom