• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NAD 7140 faint Sound, volume and tone and balance do nothing

Have you popped the cover off of RY801 and cleaned the contacts? Then with the cover off, observe it in operation and be sure it is closing fully.
Took it apart, pried the cover off the relay. Both reeds engaged and disengaged. I cleaned the contacts just to be on the safe side. Nothing has changed.. Same issue remains.
 
FWIW, I had the same receiver and it came to me with the same issue. Turns out it was a cracked trace on the main board.

TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I diagnosed it by gently pressing on the main board with the unit turned on and very little volume. When I applied pressure to the correct spot the main board bowed down slightly and forced the cracked trace to make contact on both sides of the break. I was not visible to (my) naked eye but I was able to locate the break and fix it with a little solder.

Sold it to a buddy for a bottle of medium quality whisky and it's still going strong. I think these NADs punch well above their weight class and are worth keeping alive.

Nate
 
FWIW, I had the same receiver and it came to me with the same issue. Turns out it was a cracked trace on the main board.

TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I diagnosed it by gently pressing on the main board with the unit turned on and very little volume. When I applied pressure to the correct spot the main board bowed down slightly and forced the cracked trace to make contact on both sides of the break. I was not visible to (my) naked eye but I was able to locate the break and fix it with a little solder.

Sold it to a buddy for a bottle of medium quality whisky and it's still going strong. I think these NADs punch well above their weight class and are worth keeping alive.

Nate
Well, worth a shot so gave it a try. All boards cause you never know. Regretfully, nothing changed.
 
Did you narrow the problem to the Preamp or Power amp?

If you connect to the AUX in, and send the signal from the PRE-OUT to a second amplifier, are both channels working? That means the preamp section is OK.

If connecting a source to the MAIN-IN, and one channel is missing, that means the problem is from that point to the power amp, or the power amp itself.
 
Did you narrow the problem to the Preamp or Power amp?

If you connect to the AUX in, and send the signal from the PRE-OUT to a second amplifier, are both channels working? That means the preamp section is OK.

If connecting a source to the MAIN-IN, and one channel is missing, that means the problem is from that point to the power amp, or the power amp itself.

I don't have a second amp to test the preamp on. Could I assume this would not work if I plug the preamp into another receivers aux jack? Would a meter on the outputs of the preamp work to test for output or is the output too low to measure?

The amp is definitely not well on one channel, that I have verified.
 
You can send the pre-out to a second receiver AUX input. just keep the volume low and start increasing so you don't saturate the 2nd amplifier input.

Anyway if you already connected directly to the MAIN-IN and one channel is missing, the problem is at the power amp half. I'd guess the PRE-OUT has both channels working.
 
Connecting directly from the preamp into the aux of my 2225. Except for a slight hum, no sound from the preamp was audible...
 
hmmm that's not OK.

No sound, or just one channel? Make sure everything is properly set, "tape monitor", "function selector", whichever switch could stop the signal. But at least one channel should sound, the same channel you hear with the MAIN IN in the unit in question.

I find weird that a channel failed in the preamp AND in the power amp sections...
 
hmmm that's not OK.

No sound, or just one channel? Make sure everything is properly set, "tape monitor", "function selector", whichever switch could stop the signal. But at least one channel should sound, the same channel you hear with the MAIN IN in the unit in question.

I find weird that a channel failed in the preamp AND in the power amp sections...

Agreed on the weird. The preamp produces no sound on either channel, the amp just sound on one side when I disconnect the jumpers and feed a signal directly to it...
 
If one channel sounds through the power amp, that signal is coming out of the preamp, and should be present if you send it to a 2nd amplifier.

If you can, open the cover and take a look, perhaps somebody jumped the connections inside.

Also, try your amplifier without the jumpers. Some units have internal connections so that jumper is not needed, or sometimes the PRE-OUT to the MAIN IN is connected inside the unit with wires.
 
If one channel sounds through the power amp, that signal is coming out of the preamp, and should be present if you send it to a 2nd amplifier.

If you can, open the cover and take a look, perhaps somebody jumped the connections inside.

Also, try your amplifier without the jumpers. Some units have internal connections so that jumper is not needed, or sometimes the PRE-OUT to the MAIN IN is connected inside the unit with wires.

I only hear the one channel from the amp with the jumpers disconnected and a second sound source, my iPod, connected to it. The preamp appears to be audibly dead.
 
OK: I thought you had one channel working 100%.

After trying the simper things (cleaning, tapping on the PCB, checking wiring) you'll need a deeper diagnosing.

If you want to fix it yourself, I suggest you to check supply voltages reaching the preamp boards, and then to build the signal tracer probe posted in post #12, and following the schematic, check where the signal is lost.
 
Thanks to everyone who helped. Really appreciated. I decided to abandon the diy aspect of this project as I feel like I’m in over my head so brought it in to a local shop this morning. I’ll update this thread when I get the diagnoses back.
 
Coming back to this thread to update. Just got it back from the shop. For the amp section, turned out the power supply needed to be recapped and a number of solder joints reflowed or redone. The tuner was crippled by a defective micro processor which was sourced from a carver unit. Turns out they use the same chip. Price to fix was reasonable and really happy to hear it sing...
 
Finally able to do a bit of checking... I plugged an iPod into the main-in. With that done, I get decent sound out of the left channel only, verified out of the headphone jack. To eliminate the iPod cable etc I switched the wires around and verified sound only through the left.

In summary, pre-amp seems to be not working properly, only a faint source sound comes through on left. Right channel has nothing, no sound via preamp or main in.

Do I have a basket case or is it worth salvaging? I've done small board recaps but I'm starting to think this one might be over my head.


That is surely not a thing to trow in a basket!

Have you checked the power supply coming in to the pre-amp properly? And if the voltage is okay, maybe move on to the first capacitor.
 
That is surely not a thing to trow in a basket!

Have you checked the power supply coming in to the pre-amp properly? And if the voltage is okay, maybe move on to the first capacitor.
I agree, definitely worth salvaging and I did end up getting it fixed. Good call on the power supply issue as it was a mix of bad power supply caps, microprocessor failure and solder issues. I'm listening to it as I type this and I am very glad I had it serviced. Its not overly bright, probably closer to my Marantz 2225 in sound with a minimalist ascetic that I really like.


IMG_0489.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom