• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NAD: Which units are tried and true ones?

Planetirving

Active Member
I have been seeing all sorts of contradictory comments about NAD units, especially comparing the NADs of the 70's and 80's (early 80's vs late 80's). Obviously NAD started as a no frills entry level high end product but over time took on more sophisticated offerings. I myself came into NAD strictly by inheriting a system from a stereo buff friend who wanted to upgrade his stuff and wanted to get me out of my 60's GE one piece stereo record player into something a little more mod. I have had many great years with my 3020 Series 20 amp and have only recently attempted an upgrade to the late 80's Monitor Series (please forgive my whinny posts of the past). I see many who swear by the 70's units (1020, 3020, 7020, etc) and those who love the successors (the odd numbered units, such as 1150, 4150, 2200PE) but disdain the later 80's Monitor Series as a backward step, as well as those who sing the latter's praises. I apologize if this subject has already been done to death but I am curious to know what NAD fans and non fans think and what units live up to NADs founding concepts.
 
Register to hide this ad
Ive got the 3155 integrated amp. It's a terrific, powerful amp, with a kick ass phono section. I think it's rated at 65 wpc, but with 3db dynamic headroom, it has plenty of power, and can take low impedence speaker loads. I'd LOVE to find the 2155 (I think) which is the identical amp without the pre section, and run both in mono.
For those of us running smaller speakers, the compensation circuit nad offers make them sound much larger.
Definately a keeper.
 
I have a NAD C272 poweramp which I am very happy with. I'm lending it to my father as his Krell KST-100 poweramp is away being fixed. My NAD is driving his Martin Logan Quest Z speakers with great results, this poweramp of NAD has such good tight controled bass.

I and my father are tempted to hear NAD's new C275 poweramp! Which is supposed to be better then the C272.
 
Nad 2140 from early 80's I have a pair of these they have no protection relays. Just softclipping and a cicuit breaker on the output. Will push 2 8 ohm speakers bridged and not shut down. These amps drove my dual woofer Infinity's better than a 150w Nad 2600a from the late 80's. Bullet proof design dual power transformers and outputs that are way over speced.
 
I have several NAD pieces and all were purchased used.

7175PE Receiver - was partially recapped and a bias adjust pot was shot, now repaired
7140 Receiver - only needs the volume pot deoxit'd, otherwise very clean
2200 Power Amp - had a nasty power off pop...was found than an IC was shot and was replaced for $2 and change, also partially recapped
1155 Preamp - nothing done to it
4155 Tuner - nothing done to it

All made in Japan.

ALL of them now sound sweet after repairs and the power amp and receivers are very powerful and clean. I really like the way NAD equipment sounds. Warm and detailed with lots of headroom. The 2200, 1155 and 4155 were my default rig for about 18 months and I thought not bested for the money I'm able to throw at the hobby. Only recently did I find a different power/pre combo that was affordable (used) that has knocked it out of full time duties. I have no doubt that the NAD-stack will find a spot in a different system down the road....like my basement listening room/office that we're currently finishing.

Mike
 
I have a 3080 integrated (90 wpc). Its from the late 70's, the series just before the 3020 was introduced. There doesnt seem to be much that could go wrong that wouldnt be a cheap fix. Sound is excellent, similar to the original 3020/7020, but more powerful. Others in this series are the 3030, 3045, and 3060.

I also have a 7000 Monitor Series receiver. Sounds great and I havent had any problems with it, but im sure any repairs would be more expensive than a 3020 or 3080, etc.

If you like the sound of your 3020, something like a 3060 or 3080 would be a nice upgrade.
 
My first NAD was a 1020A / 2155 combination. It was a fine setup which I had for 15 years, and went to a cousin of mine last October. I scored a 7150 receiver about two months later, and have been very satisfied with its performance - it has a power section similar to my old 2150.
 
Last edited:
I've got a 2600A PE and a 2100 PE. The 2600 is super powerful but has shitty build quality and the output relays tend to crap out. The 2100 is just as good but w/less power (still enough for 90% of speakers out there), has much better build quality and the relays are easier to service.
 
If all in one is your bag....

I have a 3080 integrated (90 wpc). Its from the late 70's, the series just before the 3020 was introduced. There doesnt seem to be much that could go wrong that wouldnt be a cheap fix. Sound is excellent, similar to the original 3020/7020, but more powerful. Others in this series are the 3030, 3045, and 3060.

I also have a 7000 Monitor Series receiver. Sounds great and I havent had any problems with it, but im sure any repairs would be more expensive than a 3020 or 3080, etc.

If you like the sound of your 3020, something like a 3060 or 3080 would be a nice upgrade.

I have a couple of the 70XX series receivers, the 7045 and the 7080. Both are no frills heavy hitters, especially the 7080 which was TOTL in the day at 90 WPC.....:thmbsp:

Someone had a $10 7045 posted in $ & C, which is/was a steal.....:yes:
 
I have a 1155 preamp like MikeCh and agree that it is an outstanding unit. I'm using it in my main system downstairs with no regrets. Nice headphone amp and a well thought out design. I have a Perreaux preamp which is really nice but I'm using the NAD because of its versatility.

I had an 1155 new in the '80s and sold it years ago. Ended up reacquiring one. They're pretty cheap on eBay at around $100.

Never had any other NAD gear but wouldn't hesitate to recommend this piece.
 
I have a couple of the 70XX series receivers, the 7045 and the 7080. Both are no frills heavy hitters, especially the 7080 which was TOTL in the day at 90 WPC.....:thmbsp:

Someone had a $10 7045 posted in $ & C, which is/was a steal.....:yes:

Yep, almost forgot about the receiver versions. I've always wondered about the tuner in the 7080. Is it a 4 or 5 gang?
 
New Acoustic Dimension
Their original concept was to have North Americans spec designs, with an asian factory to build them. Early NAD was built by Fulet, rather crude build quality but outstanding transformers..., later stuff is much better. The company has never departed from the idea of giving a bit more in sound quality while spending less on cosmetics, a rather remarkable track record since 1978 when NAD was conceived.
 
i've got a 3150 and a 3300 integrated amps. both are non-working. the 3300 worked when i first bought it, and sounded great, but didn't last long. from what i have heard, it is a really nice amp.
 
I've got a 3140 integrated which gave me many years of loyal service. The electrolytics have gotten tired, I've replaced the four PS caps but need to do the rest. I've moved back into tube gear so the lonely thing is just sitting.:tears:

Cheers

Lar
 
I owned a NAD 317 integrated ('96). Big, bulky, heavy and ugly but reliable. Firm control, plenty of power and able to drive inefficient speakers with a low(ish) impedance of 2,8 Ohm without any trouble. Could do with some more finesse, that's why I eventually sold it.
 
I have a 1155 preamp like MikeCh and agree that it is an outstanding unit. I'm using it in my main system downstairs with no regrets. Nice headphone amp and a well thought out design. I have a Perreaux preamp which is really nice but I'm using the NAD because of its versatility.

I had an 1155 new in the '80s and sold it years ago. Ended up reacquiring one. They're pretty cheap on eBay at around $100.

Never had any other NAD gear but wouldn't hesitate to recommend this piece.

I forgot to mention that the phono section on this unit is very nice as well with pf selector and MM/MC choices.
 
Back
Top Bottom