• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

National Park photography- place your most amazing ones here.

Here are some pics I took two weeks ago in Sequoia National Park.

Crescent Meadow:
Crescent-Meadow.jpg


General Grant Tree:
General-Grant-1.jpg


General Sherman Tree:
General-Sherman-1.jpg


Grizzly Falls (King's Canyon):
Grizzly-Falls.jpg


Scenic Overlook of Sierra's from Sequoia:
Sierra-Vista-2.jpg


Roaring Falls (King's Canyon):
Roaring-Falls-1.jpg


Zumwalt Meadow (King's Canyon):
Zumwalt-Meadow-1.jpg
 
Rocky Mountain National Park, August 1984, 35mm Kodachrome



Rocky Mountain National Park Sept 2010 - We may have been standing on the same rock. Notice that tree about 7 o clock still there and looks the same.

rmnp2010-2.jpg
 
Last edited:
All my best park photos were taken decades ago on Kodachrome-X 126 format. Glacier, Yosemite, Mount Rainier. Buried away are carousels I still threaten to pull out and give "slide shows" to my kids!

The postings here are lovely.
 
glacierpaint8x12.jpg


I've posted this before but not here. This was shot in Glacier National Park. The view is of Hidden Lake. I reworked it a bit in "Painter". I was going for a 19th century landscape painting look.
 
Last edited:
VALLEY FORGE NAT'L PARK (Winter, 1777). 3500 acres. Soldier's bathed once a week in the nearby Schuykill River.

eq78ed.jpg

Baron von Steuben - Prussian soldier who knew a great deal about warfare and soldier training. He helped drill the American troops at Valley Forge during the terrible winter there. His two assistants in this matter were Alexander Hamilton, General George Washington's personal aide, and General Nathanael Greene. The soldiers emerged better trained and more capable of acting as an army, not just a collection of militiamen. In addition to instructing the soldiers in fighting, von Steuben also taught them better camp sanitation.

3ug3o.jpg

Mad Anthony Wayne - Earned the title "Mad" when one of his soldiers swore that he saw Wayne change into a different uniform during The Battle of Paoli.

2r3wj9g.jpg


Washington's HQ (http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/...ia/montgomerycounty/valleyforge/headquarters/)

347zjx5.jpg


Washington Memorial Chapel

ancu8h.jpg


k0k77c.jpg
 
Last edited:
I guess its because I was raised up here, but I've never thought Great Smokies was all that much of a Big Deal...Always too many people, trashy, hot, too many people, lotsa trees, too many people, "Look, Ma, A MOUNTAIN !!", and did I mention Too Many People ? The GSMNP doesn't really have anything I can't see by going about 30 miles from my house-And there are precious few "Knock Yer Socks Off" scenes like Glacier & Yellowstone, & some of the other parks have in abundance.
 
I guess its because I was raised up here, but I've never thought Great Smokies was all that much of a Big Deal...Always too many people, trashy, hot, too many people, lotsa trees, too many people, "Look, Ma, A MOUNTAIN !!", and did I mention Too Many People ? The GSMNP doesn't really have anything I can't see by going about 30 miles from my house-And there are precious few "Knock Yer Socks Off" scenes like Glacier & Yellowstone, & some of the other parks have in abundance.

Well, you need to come to the prairie and see some TRULY AMAZING FLAT nothing. :D
 
Well, you need to come to the prairie and see some TRULY AMAZING FLAT nothing. :D

Hehehehe...The company I worked for had a cabin on a local lake that certain folks from its customer base would visit during the summer...I remember one family from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, or someplace where a tar strip would be considered a "mountain", they came one summer, & the mama was TERRIFIED of the mountains-She was afraid they were gonna fall over on her.. The Appalachians are some of the OLDEST mountains on earth, the geologists say...I don't recall any of 'em ever falling over on a nitwit lady tourist from the flatlands...
 
Hehehehe...The company I worked for had a cabin on a local lake that certain folks from its customer base would visit during the summer...I remember one family from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, or someplace where a tar strip would be considered a "mountain", they came one summer, & the mama was TERRIFIED of the mountains-She was afraid they were gonna fall over on her.. The Appalachians are some of the OLDEST mountains on earth, the geologists say...I don't recall any of 'em ever falling over on a nitwit lady tourist from the flatlands...

Now,that's a new one on me. I've heard of plenty of people afraid of falling off mountain roads, but this is the first I've heard of this. I had an Aunt who must have driven my Uncle nuts when they went to Colorado -"Barney, Barney, watch out! Ooh!"
 
I remember a few more things about that bunch. The dad was an alrite fella, or seemed to be. Not only was the mama afraid the mountains were gonna topple over on her, she smoked like a chimney, & her favorite expression was "God love 'em", & NOT in a reverent way, either. She was ORANGE headed, & musta put the makeup on w/a trowel, like chrome on a '59 Buick. They had a homicidal little girl of about 5-7 as a daughter, she ran around & grabbed food offa everyone's plates, wouldn't hardly speak, & liked to PINCH the livin' Shyte outta you... Me & my sister basically wanted to KILL her, but the dad was one of MY old man's biggest customers, so we had to Suck It Up..The Mama was one of these that thought her little terror was an Angel, too, & woulda made a stink if me or my sister had retaliated against that little Hell-Spawn...We took 'em over to Gatlinburg & up in the Smokies, & that damn gaudy-azz woman was screechin' the whole time about the effin' Mountains were fixin' to fall over on her...We shoulda been so lucky... Most of the people that were invited to come to that cabin WERE nice folks, & became family friends, but THAT bunch fortunately never came back.
 
A lot of bashing of the Great Smoky Mountains in this thread, but it didn't detour me from taking a trip from Memphis over the last weekend. The weather was perfect. In the morning it was in the mid fifties and hit the mid seventies later in the day. I can't complain.

While there was a lot of traffic on the way in to town, I got up early enough to avoid traffic jams while I was in the mountains. The secret is getting out before 9AM.

While I don't doubt that there are better photo opportunities in other parks, I don't think it really matters.

Anyway, here are a couple new photos:

large.jpg


large.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom