• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NEC A11 Reserve II

MGrandBlanc

New Member
Anyone have an opinion on this beast of an integrated? I can probably get my hands on one if I replace it with a cheap class D amp. (it's being used to power whole house ceiling speakers in a huge house). Seems like a waste to me....elevator music to crap 6" ceiling speakers, not even stereo! The little info I've seen out there this appears to be a rare bird! Someone said 400 units? 3 BIG Torrids and enough caps to choke an elephant. It's perfectly functional and has been rarely used...50 hours a year maybe.
What's the consensus? Worth rescue? I need it like a hole in the head, but the house is being sold & this will be left behind & probably changed out for wireless Sonus or something.
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know anything about that amp so I Googled it.
Only looked at one article so take this with a grain of salt.... GET IT.
It's indeed a well built piece of gear.
105 wpc isn't all that uncommon anymore but I'd think it's a GOOD 105 wpc.
Maybe you could pick up a used Class D "pro amp" off ebay to replace it.
 
NEC A10 and A7 were among the best integrated amps of their day. I spent a few years with an NEC retailer and those amps were as good as anything on the market back then. Better in my opinion because NEC made semi-conductors whereas the "mainstream brands" did not.

An A11 would be more like a statement piece but NEC's low profile marketing left these amplifers out of contention for mass market consumers who were more swayed by the glitz & glamour splashy ads for the likes of Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom