• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need a fast reply.....

Big Jim 007

Certified Bottlehead
I've rekindled my love for vintage Speakers and have a pair of JBL L96's that I bought on ebay that have yet to be shipped and will need to be refoamed...they can handle up to 250watts....my main amp currently is a Yamaha RX-V2200 that in stereo mode is 100 watts per channel driven at 8 ohms.

I have a chance to buy a pair of L100's that have been reconed by a licensed JBL center and the cones are JBL's....JBL literature on them says they are rated to handle 50watts of continuous load. I remember them from back in the 70's as my friend had a pair of them hooked up to a Fisher 500-C that was rated at 35watts per channel and they sounded hugh, damn near as big as my 4320's....

My question is will my old Yamaha RX-570 be enough to drive the L100's....I believe the RX-570 is about 40 watts per channel at 8ohms...

Is the recone a big factor in the price...the asking price is $350.00...I haven't seen them yet, so I don't know if the foam grilles are still intact or even there....not a big deal, unless I need to resell them.

Or can I run them on the RX-V220 and pray that I don't push them too hard and fry the tweeters?

Is the price fair? I would think so as I've seen clean ones hit about 600.00 on ebay....

I will be driving over to see them in about an hour and hoping that I can horse trade down to under $300.00....

Is the RX-V2200 enough amp for the L96's?


Thanks,
Jim
 
Register to hide this ad
JBL factory recone kits for 123A-1 are $272 apiece, list.

You want verification (I mean PROOF) that they were done with factory kits and not aftermarkets, and when.

The amp thing is a wank. They'll run on anything; it's HOW you run them that's the issue.... :yes:
 
JBL factory recone kits for 123A-1 are $272 apiece, list.

You want verification (I mean PROOF) that they were done with factory kits and not aftermarkets, and when. :yes:


Yes, that is why I'm a bit concerned as the price seems too good. I talked to the guy and he seems to know what he was talking about and hopefully he will have the paperwork for the reconing. If not I will have to look carefully at the cones to see if they look right....

I'm also worried a bit that if the woof's went and needed to be reconed that there may also have been some damage to the mid drivers or tweeters that seem to be the first thing that goes bad (other than the posts and x/overs).
 
Any of those Yami's will run either set fine. Just stay out of clipping.

I've pushed WAY more than 50 WPC through L100A's with good clean gear that has very low distortion and plenty of headroom.

If you're a big Yami fan, keep your eye out for a good deal on an older vintage early 80's Amp that will compliment either of those speakers better than the modern processor heavy units. Any of the amps in my sig are worthy.
 
Just talked to the guy again and he doesn't have the paperwork for the recone as it was done several years ago...the reason for the recone was damage to one of the cones (got impaled). No Grilles, but I didn't expect any as they were a weak link and I will have to go with replacements if I get them.

The RX-570 yami is from around 94 and isn't over processed and actually sounds nice and neutral with warm bass very similar to tube gear. It will be the amp I go with for it as it has gobs of headroom and I will turn it into my bedroom system.

I just set up my RX-V2200 with a pair of Canton Passive Subs (Plus C's) to a pair of Canton Plus F's (sat's) and a pair of Infinity Qb's and just got the toe in and heights set up so the soundstage in unreal and without any smear.

The combination of the Canton's and Infinity's is wonderful as each brings something wonderful to the mix and complement each nicely. More depth and texture and yet with all of the nuances and great instrument separation and articulation. The vocals are amazing as well...true divine intervention!!!

Sorry, but I got a bit off the subject!!!!

Need to go to the ATM and check out the JBL's....
 
Thanks for the muy pronto responses...I just got home with them...the recone is correct....they are a bit cosmetically challenged, but I think a little Homer Formsby will get rid of most of the scuffs and scratches and them oil them up.

I will set them up later or tomorrow and see if I can step back a few decades and report back....

If they do it for me, I will have to locate a set of grilles for them!!!

BTW, the guy I got them from does custom installations and is a recording engineer and they were his personal speakers, so there was some love behind them:D
 
Yes folks, you can go back in time!!! I just had a chance to audition the JBL L100's and damn, I forgot how much I love the JBL Sound!!! The Recones are a good thing as the bass is nice and tight and not at all fatigued or mushy. The tweets are in great shape and will need new foam rings if only for cosmetic purposes. The mids are clear and sparkling.

Yes, the Yami RX-570 is plenty enough to drive them and allow them to breathe and open up. However, if a Nice Fisher 500-C comes my way......

This will allow me to have two complete systems so I will never get into the same old rut thing!
 
Today was a great day as my new L100's found their sweet spots and now the imaging is perfect. Steely Dan started the day off with Aja, then to the Spin Doctors Pocket Full of Kryptonite, Chuck Mangione Land of Make Believe (Esther Satterfield never sounded so good) and then topped it off with The Who Live at Leeds.

Everyone sounded great and with plenty of energy and without the need of ear splitting volume, although I will admit I did goose the volume a couple of times!!!

Yes I'm gushing a little bit, okay a lot, but I really forgot how good a nice set of JBL's sound. I will never make the mistake of going without a nice pair again.

I also have a set of L96's coming my way if the seller ever gets off her arse and sends them to me. They will need to have the woofers refoamed and I can't wait to A/B them and then choose which pair to keep. Or create more room for them....

Again, thanks to Zilch and Brutal for giving me PDQ answers to my questions as it really helped me pull the trigger on them. In fact thanks to all as this is one great place for getting real and useful facts and knowledge about this stuff!!!
 
I had to recone a pair of L-112s once because the buyer said "warped spiders" which was a crock because they were perfect . Only thing was the cones were not so white anymore. Anyway with his permission I had JBL clones put in instead of sho-nuff JBL cones at a fraction of the cost. These were so good they were virtually impossible to tell the difference. The man told me he had experts that couldn't tell the difference. . . I am by no means an expert but for my own use I would have no problem saving 3 or 4 hundred bucks providing they were that good.

That said however you do not present them as original or all JBL when sell time rolls around. . .

I have listened to a few of these particuliar clones. As I said I am no expert but I have owned JBL speakers for the most part since the 60s and I can't tell the difference. ., . I suppose you could measure it electronically but my old ears can't.
 
The RX-570 yami is from around 94 and isn't over processed and actually sounds nice and neutral with warm bass very similar to tube gear. It will be the amp I go with for it as it has gobs of headroom and I will turn it into my bedroom system.

I just set up my RX-V2200 with a pair of Canton Passive Subs (Plus C's) to a pair of Canton Plus F's (sat's) and a pair of Infinity Qb's and just got the toe in and heights set up so the soundstage in unreal and without any smear.

The combination of the Canton's and Infinity's is wonderful as each brings something wonderful to the mix and complement each nicely. More depth and texture and yet with all of the nuances and great instrument separation and articulation. The vocals are amazing as well...true divine intervention!!!

Sorry, but I got a bit off the subject!!!!

Need to go to the ATM and check out the JBL's....

You have lots of similarities to the gear I have here- the current living room system is a Yamaha RX-V1000 with four Canton Karat 20s and a Plus F center (for surround modes) and JBL 4333As (for music in bypass mode). Wish I still had the Plus C sub, but I do still have the Plus S sats and a bunch of other Cantons around, along with a bunch of other JBLs.

Enjoy!

je
 
You have lots of similarities to the gear I have here- the current living room system is a Yamaha RX-V1000 with four Canton Karat 20s and a Plus F center (for surround modes) and JBL 4333As (for music in bypass mode). Wish I still had the Plus C sub, but I do still have the Plus S sats and a bunch of other Cantons around, along with a bunch of other JBLs.

Enjoy!

je


Don't get me wrong, while I love the JBL's, the Canton's are also great speakers, very open, neutral and when set up properly have a massive soundstage and transparent imaging.

The Yamaha Corporation is making some really nice sounding receivers that are very warm and with pleasing mids and tight bass.

Zilch, I too can't wait to get my hands on the L96's, but I'm getting a bad feeling as I paid for them several days ago and the seller is not returning my emails or calls. I'm sure that I'm probably worrying for not....

I will get some of those aftermarket foam rings at some point in time and scrape off what's left of the originals and install them....
 
I will get some of those aftermarket foam rings at some point in time and scrape off what's left of the originals and install them....
:nono: Not aftermarket, a phone call to JBL Pro Parts will get you the originals. The part number (and phone number) appears in another thread here.

Remove only the foam; leave the backing in place. The tiny tweeter leads are under there, and are easily damaged.

Yes, the foam is important.... :yes:
 
Zilch,

I will get a pair of OEM rings and carefully scrape/rub off the remments of the original foam and definately will leave the original backing in place. I had to drop the brilliance down a tad and am sure that's due to the rotting foam that is not dampening as designed.
 
Not to whip this horse to death...

I pulled the spec sheet on the Yami RX-570 and realized that they actually are rated at 70wpc, not the 40wpc I thought they were. I remember back in the 70's the had to have stereo has a Marantz 2270 and a pair of L100 Century's. The 2270 is a 70wpc amp, so I know why the L100's sound so good hooked up to the Yami RX-570.

I have a pair of OEM Foam Rings on the way and an sure that once they are properly affixed the high frequency imaging with be vastly improved (not that's so bad now)....

I've started to remove what's left of the degraded foam rings and so far all I need to do is rub them with my fingers and am now down to the part that is adhered to the original backing. With that said, what's the best way/method to remove this portion of it, a small putty knife?
 
This suggestion comes with a stern warning: do so at your own peril...

While I have been able to carefully remove - it peels off rather easily - the full backing without damaging the delicate tweeter wires, if I were to attempt otherwise, I would certainly spot test with a swab the same stuff we use to remove old foam and adhesive for doing new surrounds - MEK.

Cheers!
 
There are tiny wires underneath whats left of the foam. Be careful or you will damage them.

*edit* oops, too late. Be careful anyways.
 
Back
Top Bottom