• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need advice re: Pioneer SX-828 rec.

Bizeeboy

New Member
Hi, I was excited to bring home a newly found Pioneer SX-828 receiver. It came with Bose 901 speakers w/equalizer and an Era 666 Turntable. Once home I discovered that the front display panel lights had stopped working and the entire panel remains dark with the exception of the "stereo" indicator for fm tuning. Worked fine when I bought it, was d.o.a. at home. What am I looking at to get the display re-lit? Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Likely just new fuse lamps. They look like older automotive fuses- glass tube with metal caps. If you search the forum here you will find threads detailing the procedure.
You can purchase lamps from AK member DgWojo, I'm pretty sure.
 
Hi, I was excited to bring home a newly found Pioneer SX-828 receiver. It came with Bose 901 speakers w/equalizer and an Era 666 Turntable. Once home I discovered that the front display panel lights had stopped working and the entire panel remains dark with the exception of the "stereo" indicator for fm tuning. Worked fine when I bought it, was d.o.a. at home. What am I looking at to get the display re-lit? Thanks!

http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/sx-828-sm.pdf

Deoxit the input selector wafer switch. One or two of the wafers direct the lamp voltages to where they need to go. Of course you could also have a bunch of burnt out lamps.
2nd dgwojo for new lamps.
 
Last edited:
Chances are the filaments in those bulbs were so brittle after all the years in there a good joshle or bump could have done them all in . What about the signal and tuning meter --do they work?
 
OK --I believe from what I have read your problem is deeper than the bulbs.
I suggest you post this question in the PIONEER AUDIO forum where our Pioneer guru's hang out. I know one of them will know EXACTLY what is wrong and can help you.
 
stereo lamp is on its own power supply from MPX stereo circuit, there should be a 6.3 volt fuse for the panel and function lamps, the real question is what shorted to blow the fuse, dose it have a lighted pointer for tuning, have had units where the leads to the pointer light had worn and was shorting against the chassie as it moved and would blow the fuse.
 
Arrgh! The technician doing my lamps found out the left channel is dead. I bought this receiver from an elderly lady acquaintance, so I didn't have any concerns like that, but sure enough.... I was slavering over my "lady-driven on Sundays" vintage receiver but it's a lemon. Worth fixing, I hope.
 
The final outcome: the technician replaced 1 - C1080 transistor, 1 - A680 transistor, 2 - D313 transistors, 4 - lamps, 2 - 5W resistors, 4 capacitors and 1- coil. Total parts and labor: 156.71

Just waiting on new capacitors for the Bose 901 Active Equalizer now.
 
Back
Top Bottom