Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html
Anybody have a counterweight for a Technics SL-1300 (not mk2) that you would sell ? Some here have said that the weights from SL-1200, SL-1400, and SL-1500s will work ? ? Thanks.
AudioKarma Rules Welcome to AudioKarma! To help AK be a safe, fun place for everyone, we reserve the right to restrict and edit content and to refuse service to anyone. The Basic Rules: Be respectful and use common sense. Don’t try circumventing the rules. Specific Rules: Don’t insult...
The AK Barter Town area is available to subscribers only. Subscription costs $25 per year. For myself, even if I rarely buy anything here I find all the help and information I get to be worth the price.
If I needed a counterweight for a Mk1 1300 "right now" I'd go to ACE hardware, get a big brass bolt, and a rubber sleve. Slip the rubber sleve on the tonearm stub and carefully move the bolt forward and backward to get to your desired tracking weight. I'd also get some duct seal or similar if I needed to add a few grams of weight on either side (cartridge or counterweight) Probably done for $10ish.
That would get you up and running until you can buy the correct part. If you get the ideal size rubber sleve that holds the bolt in proper tension, with damping, it's also likely to sound better than the stock counterweight that wobbles around on the back of the arm.
-edit- I'm assuming you already own a stylus force gauge to actually measure/set your tracking force. The one I own was $5 on Amazon and has been flawless for years.
Don't know how much money you want to spend on this, but eBay seller Vinyl Reclamation has several counterweights that will work. Look for those that are listed as 14mm and around 100g, give or take 10g. Ideally, the one you want should look like this:
Both my SL-1500 and SL-1700 Mk2 came with this counterweight.
Don't know how much money you want to spend on this, but eBay seller Vinyl Reclamation has several counterweights that will work. Look for those that are listed as 14mm and around 100g, give or take 10g. Ideally, the one you want should look like this: View attachment 3043750
Both my SL-1500 and SL-1700 Mk2 came with this counterweight.
I am also looking for a counterweight for SL-1300 mkI. Although I have found a similar description from of weights from your comment but I was kind of confused from 100g or 10g. That seems like a lot of difference. May I ask what you do you mean by this?
Simply that I have a handful of the Technics counterweights in post #6, and though they hover around 100g, they do vary. I didn't want someone who found his counterweight weighed only 90g to feel it wouldn't work, so I said 100g give or take (ie, plus or minus) 10g. And yes, I too was surprised that counterweights varied as much as they do when I finally got around to weighing them. Hope that helps.
Simply that I have a handful of the Technics counterweights in post #6, and though they hover around 100g, they do vary. I didn't want someone who found his counterweight weighed only 90g to feel it wouldn't work, so I said 100g give or take (ie, plus or minus) 10g. And yes, I too was surprised that counterweights varied as much as they do when I finally got around to weighing them. Hope that helps.
Thank you. Much appreciated for the clarification. So the weight(counterweight) for sl-1300 mkI is 100g 14mm? I tried researching for the specifications but was not fortunate. I also found similar weight on e-bay but specifically for a sl-1200 looks similar to the OEM sl-1300 but I do not know if it will fit or work. They are pricey too.
A very important measurement is the diameter of the stub onto which the counterweight threads. Should be 14mm. Verify that on your turntable before you buy anything.
A very important measurement is the diameter of the stub onto which the counterweight threads. Should be 14mm. Verify that on your turntable before you buy anything.
If your SL-1300 came to you without a counterweight (seems to be a common theme, sadly), another important thing to check is the underside of the stub which holds the counterweight. See if yours has this little plastic nub on a triangular plastic spring (photo credit goes to AKer noctech; I've enhanced the contrast to make the nub easier to see).
This triangle is frequently found broken off or about to break off. If it's gone, the end of the world is not yet, and fixes have been done. It depends on how much time and energy you want to devote to this particular turntable.