• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help ID'ing Audax/Polydax driver

Hey Pneumonic, Jim couldn't help you I guess?

I know he fixed a pair for eric but maybe just surrounds, He has the 7's and 10's. Mike Wright is a good friend of mine and he still has some goodies but not drivers. Let me know if they need gas because I can get them filled for you. Michael is the greatest speaker maker in Canada's history, no one else is even close.

I will see you Sunday:music:

marc mc
 
Thanks for the continued advice, fellas.

I did buy the three 8" woofers and have included a picture of one of them. I may also have a line on some 4 ohm ones as well.

I also have included some other pictures, including x'over picture, Bart. I see a bunch of electrolytic caps in that x'over.

The tweeters are Polydax and stamped HD12X9D25.

I can snap additional pictures to include if anyone wishes.


-Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for the pics. I might suggest to get a lot of light (natural works best if sunny day or use lights) on the speakers/drivers and shoot without flash to avoid washout.

In your original picture showing the midrange and tweeter on top, what is the model of the mid on the left? Looks like the back magnet/plate where the model number would be was painted over black?

Also, is the tweeter pointing left or right (firing sort of into or past the fiberglass insulation). Is there some type of horn or material the dome is mounted in? That would be the HD12x9D25 4-5 ohm?

I'm a little confused (pretty easy to get me that way.) The right side picture most recently posted illustrates an upward firing tweeter? Interesting, this is hinted at in the Watson lab photo link but only 1 tweeter is listed. Are there 2 tweeters then, yes? Is this one wired in parallel or series with the front facing? Interesting how he created a small horn flare in the top material and mounted it behind all that - gives it some horn loading and changes the radiation pattern, albeit upward.

Bart
 
In case anyone cares, and for the record Dayton-Wright was the company name. Which is named after the owner who's full name is William Michael Dayton-Wright.

marc mc
 
Thanks for the continued advice, fellas.

I did buy the three 8" woofers and have included a picture of one of them. I may also have a line on some 4 ohm ones as well.

I also have included some other pictures, including x'over picture, Bart. I see a bunch of electrolytic caps in that x'over.

The tweeters are Polydax and stamped HD12X9D25.

I can snap additional pictures to include if anyone wishes.


-Kerry

That's an 8 ohm "C 12" woofer (you can just about make it out on the back).
 
HI Bakes,

I've got the same Polydax catalog from way, way back too but its also buried in storage boxes along with my Dalesford bextrene driver catalogs. Used to get speaker information from Madisound (Wisconsin), Meniscus (Michigan), and JustSpeakers (San Francisco)/A&S speakers (Denver). I knew the owner of JustSpeakers when he was getting started - walked into his older home where he was running his business and saw just stacks of raw Audax boxed drivers - that's where I bought my Tabor parts and started my DIY habits.

here's a net pdf copy of a 2000 parts catalog from long time but recently closed supplier Falcon Acoustics from England. The proprietor, Malcom Jones, was a true engineer with crossovers and designed and implemented most of KEF's crossovers from their beginning through the KEF 104aB series. He then left to found Falcon to build custom inductors for the speaker industry. You'll see the Tabor parts listed alongside networks 19-20. The --C9 or C12 designation was the length of the voice coil in mm. which changed the voice coil weight, inductance and consequently the Thiele-Small (TS) parameters of the driver.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about drivers!!

http://diyaudio.co.kr/wwwboard1/data/board3/falcon.pdf

Regards,

Bart

Hey Bart! Very cool stuff. :thmbsp:

Those catalogs sound like the my bookshelf in my workshop; I think I even have an old Gold Sound catalog from 1980 or so in there. <g> Had about 3 different designs using the Audax bextrene woofer with the HD37 dome mid and HD19 dome tweeter set to go at one point in time, but no money for the speakers; now I have the money but not the time. maybe someday they'll converge!
 
Hey Pneumonic, Jim couldn't help you I guess?

I know he fixed a pair for eric but maybe just surrounds, He has the 7's and 10's. Mike Wright is a good friend of mine and he still has some goodies but not drivers. Let me know if they need gas because I can get them filled for you. Michael is the greatest speaker maker in Canada's history, no one else is even close.

I will see you Sunday:music:

marc mc

Hey, buddy. I didn't know you frequented this place. I should have figured I guess <wink>

I have spoken with Jim and will get these to him. He wasn't sure of the driver designations. He's got surround kit for the 10' and he's got grill cloth left over from doing Erik's so I'll get him to do these for me. But prior to re-clothing I wanna do some prep work on them.

Looking forward to getting together with everyone on Sunday. Outta be a hoot. Great guys, great gear and great tuneage. What's not to like?

Have a safe drive in and see then.


-Kerry
 
Hi Kerry,

Thanks for the pics. I might suggest to get a lot of light (natural works best if sunny day or use lights) on the speakers/drivers and shoot without flash to avoid washout.

In your original picture showing the midrange and tweeter on top, what is the model of the mid on the left? Looks like the back magnet/plate where the model number would be was painted over black?

Also, is the tweeter pointing left or right (firing sort of into or past the fiberglass insulation). Is there some type of horn or material the dome is mounted in? That would be the HD12x9D25 4-5 ohm?

I'm a little confused (pretty easy to get me that way.) The right side picture most recently posted illustrates an upward firing tweeter? Interesting, this is hinted at in the Watson lab photo link but only 1 tweeter is listed. Are there 2 tweeters then, yes? Is this one wired in parallel or series with the front facing? Interesting how he created a small horn flare in the top material and mounted it behind all that - gives it some horn loading and changes the radiation pattern, albeit upward.

Bart

Hey, Bart.

I used up all of my brain cells figuring out this audio game and have little left over for the visual side of things. So, without my wife in tow, my picture taking skills leave much to be desired. I shall ask her politely if she can teach me how to use her camera .... she might even cooperate afterwhich time I shall post better visuals for you <hehe>

Driver complement in the speaker are all Polydax/Audax and are sized as follows:

2 - 1" tweeters
1 - 5" upper mid
1 - 8" lower mid
1 - 10" woofer

The tweets are both the same. The one firing upwards is parallel to the ground. The other 1' is angled at the same degree as the 5" and, according to the site, skewed 150 degrees towards the front. These are mirror image pairs. The angled 1" is also small horn flare as well. Can't tell if they are in series or parallel as they both appear to terminate at the x'over which I am unable to follow at this stage. Will check though.
 
Just some pics of Audax 8" Bextrene, this is one of a pair I bought new and have not really used yet.

The Dalesford is included in case it's of interest.
 
Last edited:
OK, I have camera in hand and have been taught how to use it (sort of anyhow). I am able to take pictures "up close" and without any flash.

Now, what angles and such shall I post?

BTW, I will probably take you up on your DW offer, Marc. Thanks.
 
Ooops, forgot to mention. The drivers measured 4 ohms and are not the 8 that it appears they are on the stamping. So, I have all 4 ohm drivers.
 
Ooops, forgot to mention. The drivers measured 4 ohms and are not the 8 that it appears they are on the stamping. So, I have all 4 ohm drivers.

4 Ohms DC resistance?

I would expect an 8 Ohm (say KEF B110 bass unit) to measure about 6 Ohms DC resistance.
 
Just measured the brand new Audax 8" Bextrene in my pic and that is 6.7 Ohm DC res. (only a cheap meter, but prob OK)

Its is marked 8 Ohm imp.
 
Just measured the brand new Audax 8" Bextrene in my pic and that is 6.7 Ohm DC res. (only a cheap meter, but prob OK)

Its is marked 8 Ohm imp.
That's the odd thing about mine. The one that is legible is clearly marked with an 8 omega sign but measures 3.6.

Mis-stamped perhaps?
 

Attachments

  • _HD20B25H_8.jpg
    _HD20B25H_8.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 16
That's the odd thing about mine. The one that is legible is clearly marked with an 8 omega sign but measures 3.6.

Mis-stamped perhaps?

Will do a similar photo of mine in a few min.

Terrible photo, butthe markings can be seen. These were bought new by me many years ago.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom