• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need new music

Check out the playlist threads here on AK too. The cassette tape swap on AK here turned me onto a bunch of artists I'd not heard before.
 
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I got some work to do now, this is gonna be fun checking out all those tunes. Might just get me excited again.:banana:

Yes, you do. Classic rock from the late 60s through the late 70s, great though some of it is, is just a tiny sliver of the musical universe. Besides, there are only so many times you can spin Stairway to Heaven or Dark Side of the Moon before you get sick of them.

Many have suggested trying jazz and classical, and I concur. Spend some time with these genres, and not just the old warhorses like Kind of Blue (in jazz) or Beethoven's Fifth (in classical). Listen to a variety of pieces and subgenres as not everyone's taste is the same. Your personal favorite might be something comparatively obscure, or if not obscure, maybe not a jazz title that gets mentioned frequently here.

If, for some reason, jazz and classical isn't your thing, explore some more obscure material from your preferred era, like garage bands, or surf music. None of us can contemporaneously keep up with everything as it comes out. I have over the last 4 or 5 years filled in some huge holes in my collection. After hearing some of these classic artists, I couldn't believe I had glossed over them back in the day. Not to say I disliked any of these musicians back in the day, but at times I missed what great songwriters they were/are. Examples for me from the last few years include Leonard Cohen, Nick Drake, John Hiatt, Little Feat, Allman Brothers, The Kinks, and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Finally, try moving beyond the 70s and explore some of the real classics of the 80s. Every try punk rock? At its best, it can be a lot of fun. Every give early REM a listen? Their first 4 albums are as good as anything from the early 70s. How about the Replacements or Husker Du? Or the Pixies? Or the Stone Roses? Sometimes that late 80s stuff gets lost in the narrative of the history of rock somewhere between the demise of punk and the rise of grunge. And since we are talking the 90s, one of the real classics of that era is Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane over the Sea"

And that brings us to the current era where Green Day, Wilco, New Pornographers, Built to Spill, and The Decemberists have been producing outstanding albums for the last decade.
 
You could try some new(er) bands:

  • Cat Power
  • PJ Harvey
  • Sleater-Kinney
  • The Decemberists
  • The Thermals
  • Mary Timony
  • Death Cab for Cutie
  • The Arcade Fire
  • Belle & Sebastian
  • Vampire Weekend
  • She & Him
Just to name a few...

-Derek
 
Cowboy Junkies
Cocteau Twins
The Lost Trailers
Phoenix
They Might Be Giants
The Ocean Blue
Billy Bragg
Metric
A Band of Bees
Ben Lee
Smoking Popes
Silversun Pickups
The Pogues

They called it alternative for a reason...
 
If you like something like Pink Floyd's Echoes, there's a whole genre of rock that might appeal to you, sometimes called "post rock". Bands like Mogwai, Sigur Ros (which is what my avatar is from), Mono, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed you Black Emperor and others. Good stuff to just sit back and let your mind go...I just saw Mono, which is from Japan, live last week from right up front leaning on the stage...really good stuff. I grew up loving Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc but got sick of most Classic Rock after high school. I still like Floyd but I can't hardly listen to anything else from that era anymore, I just played it too much.
 
Last edited:
I've been watching a lot of John Prine videos on youtube. I love his voice, i could listen to him all day. He's at the top of my list right now. I can't believe i've missed him all these years.
 
I've been watching a lot of John Prine videos on youtube. I love his voice, i could listen to him all day. He's at the top of my list right now. I can't believe i've missed him all these years.

He was a fav of mine back in high school. If you like him, try Ramblin' Jack Elliot, Jerry Jeff Walker, Johnny Cash, Leo Kottke, Doc Watson, Lyle Lovett, Norman Blake, Merle Travis, Hank WIlliams, Iris DeMint, Nanci Griffith... Or just go to last.fm and type him into "similar artists", all the above should play eventually.

But I agree with others, Jazz is easily the most diverse genre, there's a lot to like and discover; it's a huge tent.
 
If you like something like Pink Floyd's Echoes, there's a whole genre of rock that might appeal to you, sometimes called "post rock". Bands like Mogwai, Sigur Ros (which is what my avatar is from), Mono, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed you Black Emperor and others. Good stuff to just sit back and let your mind go...I just saw Mono, which is from Japan, live last week from right up front leaning on the stage...really good stuff. I grew up loving Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc but got sick of most Classic Rock after high school. I still like Floyd but I can't hardly listen to anything else from that era anymore, I just played it too much.
Did somebody say post rock

This Will Destroy You

Jakob http://www.myspace.com/jakobmusic
^^ Check out their album "Solace". I actually bought it on vinyl. Awesome band from New Zealand.

God Is An Astronaut http://www.myspace.com/godisanastronaut
^^^ I bought their album Far From Refuge on vinyl.

The Waters Deep Here http://www.myspace.com/thewatersdeephere
^^^ hot damn do these guys rock. I can't get enough of them.

Parhelia http://www.myspace.com/parhelia
^^ Another band similiar to God Is An Astronaut. (Both bands are from Ireland)

East of the Wall http://www.myspace.com/eastofthewall

Ninth Moon Black http://www.myspace.com/ninthmoonblack

Fire On The Horizon http://www.myspace.com/fireonthehorizon

..Of Sinking Ships http://www.myspace.com/ofsinkingshipsnc (more ambient rock though)

Three Steps to The Ocean http://www.myspace.com/threestepstotheocean

From Oceans to Autumn http://www.myspace.com/experimentalautumn

Russian Circles

Tomydeepestego - Chronophage

The Bronzed Chorus - I'm The Spring

"if these trees could talk" http://www.myspace.com/ifthesetreescouldtalk
"glaciers" http://www.myspace.com/glaciersband

Exivious
jazz metal type band

3epkano - At Land

The Appleseed Cast

The Album Leaf

Explosions In the Sky

Ef - Give Me Beauty... Or Give Me Death!
Apricot Rail - Self Titled (absolutely gorgeous album)
Sunlight Ascending - All the Memories, All at Once
Nils Frahm - The Bells (love this album - great solo piano music)

Lanterna

Pelican

Albinobeach
And So I Watch You From Afar
Braving The Glacier
Carta
Codes In The Clouds
The Drift
Epic45
The Evpatoria Report
Exxasens
Giants
Gifts From Enola
If These Trees Could Talk
Il Rumore Del Fiore Di Carta
Long Distance Calling
microfilm
Neil On Impression
The Pirate Ship Quintet
Red Sparrowes
Saxon Shore
Scale The Summit
Shattered By the Sea
Sunlight Ascending
The Seven Mile Journey
There Will Be Fireworks
The Calm Blue Sea
The Cancer Conspiracy
Tortoise
Tunturia
The Mercury Program - Chez Viking
 
small suggestion here, sometimes when i'm a little tired of the norm, I try to seek out foreign forms of music I like. For example, I like Iron Maiden, and that lead me to Aria, also known as the Russian Iron Maiden, and sure enough, i'm really fond of them, and its a nice change of pace. While it may be hard to find some foreign albums, they are out there. Took awhile, but I have 4 of Aria's, and enjoy them alot:yes:, I always put them on when everything seems to be dragging.
 
small suggestion here, sometimes when i'm a little tired of the norm, I try to seek out foreign forms of music I like. For example, I like Iron Maiden, and that lead me to Aria, also known as the Russian Iron Maiden, and sure enough, i'm really fond of them, and its a nice change of pace. While it may be hard to find some foreign albums, they are out there. Took awhile, but I have 4 of Aria's, and enjoy them alot:yes:, I always put them on when everything seems to be dragging.

+1
I bought 4 - 2010 releases today from Theatre of Tragedy, Borknagar, Skyforger, and Heidevolk. :music:


Carl
 
I was in the same boat ............. Classic Rock.

Here's some of the latest I've been listening to:

Texas, Country, Bluegrass & Rockabilly:

Bill Kirchen
Joe Maphis
Joe Ely
Buddy Emmons
Junior Brown
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Jerry Jeff Walker
Claire Lynch
Cherryholmes
TheTractors
Bleu Edmondson
Shooter Jennings
Gary Stewart
Dick Curless
Jerry Garcia & David Grisman
Blue Highway
Little Texas
New Grass Revival
Bomshel
Shenandoah
Johnny Bush
Chris Knight
Stoney Larue
John Hartford
Rodney Crowell
Billy Joe Shaver
Hackensaw Boys
BR549
Charlie Sexton
Albert Lee
Corey Harris
James Burton
T-Bone Burnett
Delbert McClinton

Blues:

Keb Mo
Lonnie Brooks
Big Joe Turner
Lonnie Mack
Lazy Lester
Lightnin' Hopkins
Robert Cray
Gary Moore
Smokin' Joe Kubec
John Mayall
Pee Wee Crayton
Jimmy Thackery
Joe Lewis Walker
Sonny Landreth
Junior Kimbrough
Roy Buchanan
Sonny Terry
Long John Baldry
Albert King
Chris Duarte
John Hammond
Robert Randolph & The Family Band
Lucky Peterson
J.J. Cale
Otis Rush
Pinetop Perkins
Junior Wells
Memphis Slim
Doyle Bramhall II
Joe Bonamassa
Ronnie Earl
Duke Robillard
Little Milton
 
Man...I haven't heard of 85% of these bands. Where have I been, under a rock?? I must be getting old or something. :>)
 
Man...I haven't heard of 85% of these bands. Where have I been, under a rock?? I must be getting old or something. :>)

It is one of the cool things about music. There is too much material for any one person to absorb in a lifetime. It is just a matter of how deep you want to delve into it.
 
Lots of great suggestions! I was in the same boat, grew up with Zep, Floyd, etc.
Here are some I really like-
Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and later
My Morning Jacket- Evil Urges and Okonokos
Phish- Farmhouse and Billy Breathes
Gomez- A New Leaf

All of the above have their own "sound", which I think makes a great band.

Pandora and other sites like Slacker Radio have been helpful. Just type in any suggested band and the site will play some of what you type in plus find similar music.
 
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers MOJO its killer.

The best new release from a past rocker I have heard in a long time.

Classic Blues Rock, not commercial at all. There is even a Tom Petty does Led Zepplin sounding track.
 
Back
Top Bottom