• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need Some Custom Machining Work Done

mrdbdigital

The TBS Archives
Hi!

Does anyone here have access to equipment and the capability to enlarge a 0.159" center hole in a pulley to a 0.195" size?

I'm experimenting with some DC servo motors in the attempt to find a cheaper replacement motor for the Pioneer RT-909 and other machines that use the same motor.

Also, where would I go to get some custom sized pulleys machined out of brass for experimenting?

Thanks for any and all information.

Dave :music:
 
Register to hide this ad
A correctly set up drill press in skilled hands will work for enlarging holes with great accuracy. If you need absolute perfection, you need to move to a lathe that is perfectly set up.

As for custom pulleys- better to use off the shelf pulleys and make a motor speed control. But if you do not mind spending a couple hundred dollars for a one- off piece, just talk to a local custom metal shop.
 
I'd chuck it in my lathe, drill it slightly under, then use a reamer to get to the final size.

Oops, you said it's for a tape deck? Need a pretty decent lathe to keep the center hole concentric, I might be able to keep it within a couple of thousandths but I'm guess you would want half a thou.
 
Hi!

Does anyone here have access to equipment and the capability to enlarge a 0.159" center hole in a pulley to a 0.195" size?

I'm experimenting with some DC servo motors in the attempt to find a cheaper replacement motor for the Pioneer RT-909 and other machines that use the same motor.

Also, where would I go to get some custom sized pulleys machined out of brass for experimenting?

Thanks for any and all information.

Dave :music:

Probably just about any full service machine shop could help you out.
 
Almost all small motor shafts are metric. It sounds like you want to go from 4 to 5 mm. That's probably too much to just ram a 5 mm reamer through the existing hole. It needs to be drilled and then reamed. Best done on a small lathe. Any machine shop could do it cheaply enough. As for making pulleys, it takes more time than you'd think and a commercial shop will charge maybe $50-$100 for a single piece. Find a hobby machinist. I do that sort of thing, but only in warm weather- my garage is pretty much the same temperature as the outdoors right now!
 
I guess it would be best to take the motor to someone along with the pulley and just let them do the measurements to get it right.

I don't actually have the motor yet. It is on order and should be here in a few days.

I might be able to use an off the shelf pulley. Does anyone know of a good company to source such an item?

I'm still working on the pictures. The pulley in question is about 3/4" in diameter and about 1/2" inch wide with a rounded contour where the belt runs.

Thanks for the offers and advice.

Dave
 
If the rounded contour is convex, then that's a little harder than the standard concave shape of, say, a clothesline pulley. The convex surface will need to be cut with a "ball-turning" attachment on a manual lathe, a custom-ground cutter, or possibly even just filed to smoothly match the contour. If convex, the bulge is just to keep the belt on and centered. There is likely somewhat of a range of acceptable radii.

Chip
 
Crowned pulleys, I'm thinking like the old AR XA, usually have a lip on each side, so a custom ground plunge cutter is the only practical way on a manual machine. On a CNC machine, the cut can just be programmed in and a narrow tool used.
 
Back
Top Bottom