• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Needle for ADC XLM MKII Improved cartridge

Noudelmann

New Member
I have recently ordered a Jico RXL needle for my ADC XLM MKII Improved cartridge at a website located in Canada.
I have received a needle in a box with the label "Jico Stylus for ADC XLM -III Improved".
As you see the stylus sent is for ADC XLM MKIII even though I need stylus for ADC XLM MKII model.
Must I return the parcel ? The stylus of these two ADC XLM cartridges are they the same ?

I thank you for your advices
Michel
 
Register to hide this ad
Michel: While I'd nevertheless suggest to check with the vendor, whether they've sent the correct version, I wouldn't be surprised, if they actually did, as replacement needles not rarely are somewhat more generic than the original types (in that sense, that one replacement type is meant to replace several original types).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I am surprised because I believe that the compliant suspension of ADC XLM MKII is different than one of ADC XLM MKIII.
 
Michel: As already written, 3rd party replacements usually are more generic. Exactly matching compliance typically can't be expected - just as exactly matching tip and cantilever type can't be, either.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Michel: As already written, 3rd party replacements usually are more generic. Exactly matching compliance typically can't be expected - just as exactly matching tip and cantilever type can't be, either.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

It was not mentioned in this thread. Michael's comment is germane. I spent some time very early this morning trying to find an answer to the OP's question. There was too much conficting information for me to make a statement on compatibility one way or the other.

Greetings from Phoenix, AZ where it is very hot !

John
 
Last edited:
It was not mentioned in this thread. Michael's comment is germaine.
John, my comment is not German, I am French and live near Paris. I made a trip in Tucson Arizona two years ago and we enjoyed it.
There was too much conficting information for me
I suppose that we must read "conflicting information".
It is true that many posts were written about these ADC XLM MKn cartridges and that it is not easy to deduce specific features of each of them. This is the origin of my question.

Thank you all for your apport. I conclude that, unless new comment to the contrary, I keep the replacement Jico MKIII stylus.

Michel
 
John, my comment is not German, I am French and live near Paris. I made a trip in Tucson Arizona two years ago and we enjoyed it.

I suppose that we must read "conflicting information".
It is true that many posts were written about these ADC XLM MKn cartridges and that it is not easy to deduce specific features of each of them. This is the origin of my question.

Thank you all for your apport. I conclude that, unless new comment to the contrary, I keep the replacement Jico MKIII stylus.

Michel

De rien.
 
Really the best thing to do is get an original cartridge that still has the original stylus in good shape. I have got two of the Improved MK II for a little over $100 bucks on the bay this way. Trying to find an original by itself is not going to be cheap. I have seen them come up once in a while for a scary price. The reason is these carts were designed to only go on very light tonearms to sound their best. Infinity Black Widow for sure. I am using the ADC LMF-1 tonearm on my Kenwood KD-500. A real good match!
 
Really the best thing to do is get an original cartridge that still has the original stylus in good shape. I have got two of the Improved MK II for a little over $100 bucks on the bay this way. Trying to find an original by itself is not going to be cheap. I have seen them come up once in a while for a scary price. The reason is these carts were designed to only go on very light tonearms to sound their best. Infinity Black Widow for sure. I am using the ADC LMF-1 tonearm on my Kenwood KD-500. A real good match!

Weren't some of the iterations of this cartridge model produced with lower compliance needles ? My memory is vague on this. Somewhere....maybe from the XLM to XLM MK II or XLM III the needle compliance was lowered to make them more compatible with a wider range of tonearms.
 
Maybe is it useful to remind that, if I don't get me wrong, the compliance suspension element belongs to the stylus. Isn't it ?
In which case, changing stylus will modify the compliance level of the mechanical system including cartridge+ stylus.
I hope that, with this approach, this new system (cartridge + stylus) is still compatible with the light tonearm of my TT Technics SL-Q2.
It is certainly the weakness of using replacement needles.
 
Michel: The tonearm of the SL-Q2 rather is on the light side of medium heavy than really light. So a somewhat less compliant replacement needle would seem pretty unlikely to be problematic.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
If English is not your first language (or maybe even if it is) you may not know that "germaine" means "pertinent", apt", or "apropos".
Ctjetta : Indeed, English language is not my first langage; I am French.
I thank you for your remark because I did not know this word; but allow me to do an other observation : the spelling rule for this word is "Germane" and not "Germaine".
Greetings from Paris
 
Maybe is it useful to remind that, if I don't get me wrong, the compliance suspension element belongs to the stylus. Isn't it ?
In which case, changing stylus will modify the compliance level of the mechanical system including cartridge+ stylus.
I hope that, with this approach, this new system (cartridge + stylus) is still compatible with the light tonearm of my TT Technics SL-Q2.
It is certainly the weakness of using replacement needles.
Quite correct, the stylus determines tracking, tracing, compliance, and nuance.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom