• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NetFlix prices way up

Yeah, Yahoo has an article on it and when I accessed my Netflix account it indicates that my current plan is going up in September. I will then make the switch to just streaming only. No more DVD's. As it is, I spend more time watching streamed video and it might be two weeks before I get around to watching the DVD they sent me.
 
It's not nearly as bad as my local brewery, which raised their growler prices from $5 to $11. I've switched to Guinness - it's cheaper. Gonna stick with Netflix, though.
 
Dangit ! I spoke too soon. That damn email was waiting for me in my inbox this morning. Looks like I will either cancel the service or drop the unlimited Blurays.
 
I'm out! Canceled this a.m.. Their streaming is a joke, every few weeks I look for something new besides some foreign flick and nothing. I used the disc service to watch all the 80's movies I wanted and I'm done with that. Most new releases suck these days and were a long wait, and I can get them free across the street at the library anyways.
BTW if you're a DirecTV customer they has Cinema Plus which have a lot of the same NF streaming content included free with the subscription cost.
 
We've been paying $9.99 for streaming and 1 DVD at a time- we'll likely drop the DVD since our college bound daughter is the one who gets all of the DVDs. I wish I could wean the wife off of the Direct TV, we pay way too much for non HD and an old glitchy DVR.
 
I'm kinda at a moment of not sure what to do...

I've got FiOS, and am having problems with it, and pay a fortune for it. They can't seem to get it fixed and it's pissing me off..

Netflix don't have much for streaming, and even the DVD choices aren't so great as they could be..

HULU is pretty cool, but also a lot of old stuff... Amazon and Google isn't so cheap to rent movies from.. and Redbox is only limited to what's in the box...

What to do.. what to do...
 
well its like the 12oz pound of bacon & the 4lb / 5lb bag of sugar etc. pay more get less and shut the frak up or else corp. mentality. i really dont care hollywood hasnt made a movie i would pay to see for a long time anyway.
 
Netflix has just moved into the Latin American market....streaming only however not direct dvd mailings. The goal for Netflix here is to get rid of direct dvd media in the next 10 years or so. They are probably hoping that most people get rid of the dvd to home and just get the streaming. In the long run it means less overhead for the Netflix...less postage,less warehouses,less employees. And if they are able to get streaming rights for more and more media they could really threaten cable and satellite tv.
 
Netflix has just moved into the Latin American market....streaming only however not direct dvd mailings. The goal for Netflix here is to get rid of direct dvd media in the next 10 years or so. They are probably hoping that most people get rid of the dvd to home and just get the streaming. In the long run it means less overhead for the Netflix...less postage,less warehouses,less employees. And if they are able to get streaming rights for more and more media they could really threaten cable and satellite tv.

I'm sure they would like that.. but I think the studios and networks have too big a hook into the cable and other television content providers to jump that ship, and go to third party providers... I have a feeling that the studios will never give Netflix all the movies to stream that would make them as big as they would like to hope to be..
 
60% increases, huh?

We dropped our NetFlix last night.
To me, there's a difference between a rate increase.....and gouging the consumer.

Steve
 
I'm sure they would like that.. but I think the studios and networks have too big a hook into the cable and other television content providers to jump that ship, and go to third party providers... I have a feeling that the studios will never give Netflix all the movies to stream that would make them as big as they would like to hope to be..

In the end it will be determined by who gets the media to the consumer at home.....

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/09/business/la-fi-ct-netflix-abc-20101209
 
60% increases, huh?

We dropped our NetFlix last night.
To me, there's a difference between a rate increase.....and gouging the consumer.

Steve

Me too! Funny the "why are you leaving" survey didn't have a rate increase button to select... I guess they already knew.

Rob
 
I will probably keep the DVD/Blu-ray service, but drop streaming. I hardly ever use streaming because the selection is spotty, and the picture quality is poor (at least on the SD stuff). HD streaming ends up being a little better than DVD quality, but SD is unwatchable in my opinion.

I'm also getting fed up with their slowness to get DVDs when they are released. I've had to buy the last season or two of certain TV series because they are perpetually listed as "unknown release date", and not available for streaming. They used to get DVDs within weeks of release for sale, but now it often takes 6 months to never. I can understand not having everything, but when they have the first 12 season of a series, skipping the last one is a dirty trick.
 
I'm sure they would like that.. but I think the studios and networks have too big a hook into the cable and other television content providers to jump that ship, and go to third party providers... I have a feeling that the studios will never give Netflix all the movies to stream that would make them as big as they would like to hope to be..

There was a thread recently on AVSForum.com with an article on how Netflix was changing their emphasis back to the disc based service as they ran into a lot of road blocks (studios, ISP caps, etc.) with the streaming.
 
Interesting, because I read a couple articles recently about how they are wanting to get rid of the overhead of physical media and postage..
 
Got the e-mail, and I can't see spending $17.98 a month for streaming and the one DVD at a time (with BD option.) My DSL connection speed allows me to stream at DVD quality at best, and I rarely watch it anyway. I don't live in an area with a Redbox or Blockbuster nearby, and my library's collection is pretty small. So, I do need something. I'll stick with this I decide something different. Still a whole lot cheaper than cable, of which I don't have, and would only watch 5% of the channels anyway.

For me, if nothing's on, I'll turn the music on and read a book!
 
Back
Top Bottom