• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New car decisions.

tgunner

Loves the smell of flux..
New car decisions. *Updated 5/25*

Thanks to an "auto bailout" by my parents, I will be able to afford a new(ish) car. Using this, the sale of my '97 Buick, and my own funds, I should be able to muster up around $15k. The big question for me is: what to get? As a college sophomore, I'm looking for something with some power, and also new enough to have some warranty. I can't again afford to replace the brakes, twice... *cough*Buick*cough*. So far I have made up a list of seven contenders (not in any order.) I know the MSRP of many of these cars is higher than what I have to spend, but with the way the economy is, I wouldn't have included the car if I didn't think it was possible to find one in my range.

1. #Nope# Mitsubishi Lancer (07-09)

2. Mercury Milan (06-08)

08-milan-hero.jpg


3. Volvo S40 (05-08)

07aca1da4027845806813802fa00.jpeg


4. #Nope# BMW 3-series (05-07, a stretch I know, but a kid can dream! :D )

5. #Nope# Kia Forte / Koup (comes out in August)

6. #Nope# Mazda3 (05-08)

7. Saturn Aura (06-?)

Aura_01.jpg


A big concern for me in Florida is a light interior. I never liked dark interiors, and Florida has made me appreciate light interiors even more. I'm very open to suggestions, and any comments you might have. :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Not to throw a bucket of cold water on you, but I'd hang tough w/what I got, save up for another couple of years, & reward myself w/a really nice car when I graduated college...Who knows, by then you might have found a nice girl that you want to settle down with, that money could be a nice down payment on a house, a ring, or a honeymoon...Just sayin'...
 
If it were me at this point if you can hold out for a couple of months the deals they are a coming on new cars. Gm is going to declare BK as is Chrysler and don`t think it won`t effect the Imports as well. Everyone is going to be lowering their prices just to be able to sell cars. You will be able to get new for the price of used!
 
You didn't mention Toyota... Being that you're in college, you probably will be trading up in a couple years. While it's only MY opinion that a Toyota is the best, it's fact that they keep their resale value better than any other used car. And for repair cost, that's about as low as you can get also. If you're looking at a 4-door sedan, I'd look at a Corolla or a Camry. Both totally in your price range for a lo-mile used one, or maybe even a new Corolla. Other than that, the Mazda might be my choice. I'd avoid the Mercury (terrible resale), and the Saturn. I used to like Saturn since it's American, and has a good reputation, but GM says they're going to kill it off. Then you have an orphan car that people are afraid to buy.

Just for the record, I like Buicks! I just wouldn't want to be trying to sell one.

Charles
 
My 99 Camry has 222,000 miles on it.... Super reliable....

Can't go wrong with Toyota. They really keep their value.
 
I'm going to have throw my vote in at something Toyota or Honda. They just run and work. I had a 1990 toyota 4runner that was pretty reliable, had some minor things go on, and this last summer I upgraded to an 02 Tundra. I love the Tundra and the v8, but I work construction in the summer so I have a good excuse. People are scared of v8's, my tundra was cheaper than the smaller Tacomas with similar age and mileage.

Good friend of mine has 2001 4runnner with 240,000 on it and still runs like a champ.

Toyota is actually going to lose some money this Quarter.

I'm currently going on to my third year of college.

Sure BMW is a blast of a car, but you will be crying when the repair bill comes.

Volvos have a rep for being reliable good cars, but I have heard that they are expensive to repair also.

I have always thought that mazda makes a pretty solid car. Zoom Zoom!
 
consider insurance rates as well. That should count against the Lancer and tip the scales in favor of the Saturn and Volvo. I think I would choose the Mazda though. Plenty of punch, a blast to drive, and very good reliability. Something you haven't mention is a Honda/Acura. You can get a V-6 Accord or an Acura TSX for that price. My Acura CL-S has 120k with no issues.
 
you forgot the WRX!! :cool:

Nah, I looked into it. It's not my style.

Not to throw a bucket of cold water on you, but I'd hang tough w/what I got, save up for another couple of years, & reward myself w/a really nice car when I graduated college...Who knows, by then you might have found a nice girl that you want to settle down with, that money could be a nice down payment on a house, a ring, or a honeymoon...Just sayin'...

By sophomore, I meant that I will be one next semester. I still have three years in college, and need a car which can reliably get me from Florida to New Jersey a couple times a year. As for settling down with a girl... heh, I'm not really planning anything like that for a decade or two. :D

If it were me at this point if you can hold out for a couple of months the deals they are a coming on new cars. Gm is going to declare BK as is Chrysler and don`t think it won`t effect the Imports as well. Everyone is going to be lowering their prices just to be able to sell cars. You will be able to get new for the price of used!

Funny you should say that, the actual purchase isn't likely to occur until July or August. It should work out swell then, eh? :thmbsp:

You didn't mention Toyota... Being that you're in college, you probably will be trading up in a couple years. While it's only MY opinion that a Toyota is the best, it's fact that they keep their resale value better than any other used car. And for repair cost, that's about as low as you can get also. If you're looking at a 4-door sedan, I'd look at a Corolla or a Camry. Both totally in your price range for a lo-mile used one, or maybe even a new Corolla. Other than that, the Mazda might be my choice. I'd avoid the Mercury (terrible resale), and the Saturn. I used to like Saturn since it's American, and has a good reputation, but GM says they're going to kill it off. Then you have an orphan car that people are afraid to buy.

Just for the record, I like Buicks! I just wouldn't want to be trying to sell one.

Charles

If Toyota had a car which really interested me, they would be in the top three on my list simply for the reasons you mentioned. As it is though, they don't offer anything which I really attracts me. As for the Mercury, I agree, which is why I had been looking at certified pre-owned, and used.... they've already taken the biggest plunge in theri value. I'll keep it in mind though.

Yes, the Saturn situation does look bleak. My reasoning though is that the company may be slashing their prices 30-50%, meaning I could afford one of their better models. Once the economy picks back up, I think we will see used car values satay high, as many people would have bought them so cheap now.

The Buick? Yeah, here in Florida, as long as it has four good tires, a stereo, and "COLD A/C!!!", people will buy it. I'm thinking it is worth about $1800-2000.
 
Get whatever you want except I would avoid the Beemer like the plague. It is a car for people that can not only afford an expensive car but can afford expensive repairs as well. Audi is another but it is not on your list.

One of my friends from high school (35+ years) has sold cars his whole life, most of it regarding european cars and most of that German (not VW). This comes from him. The BMW's have become less and less reliable as time has passed. This has a gret deal to do with where they are now manufactured and their customer base, which I won't get into because it includes ethnicity statistics.

I would avoid anything that is a "staus symbol" type car because that effects the price. To some degree it affects the Volvo.

The Kia is probably the best bang for the buck.





On a side note, I've owned 28 cars in my life - Everything from beaters, to sports cars and luxury cars. But my favorite "overall" in that entire list is my primary current ride. It just suits me and my current needs perfectly (fun, unique, haul my band equipment, carry at least 4 large adults comfortably, etc.). I took one of my friends for a ride in it and he bought two. One for him and one for his wife. It's not on your list and you probably don't care, but it is this:

2006.scion.xb.white.jpg

Although I can see it, others can't. Here is anothe shot:
Scion-Xb-042.jpg
 
Last edited:
From Florida to NJ a couple of time a year. Take Amtrak and keep the money in the bank to save for grad school. Or, fly. Much cheaper.

Yeah, there is the thrill of a new car but with 3 years of school at a minumum ahead of you unless you are wealthy is going to be costly when you graduate.

If you really need a car, which most kids in university do not, look for the cheapest out there that is really basic transport. There are deals out there I see in the ads for under $10k with air and in Florida that is all you need. In fact, you'd be better off leasing for 3 year and turning it in about the time you graduate.

I agree that in the next year I think there is going to be a further erosion of pricing with some good deals making some of the deals of today look overpriced. I'd be more leery of buying a Chysler product than GM thought I think neither will avoid a reorganization in the long run. The issue for both is the warranty more than parts availability. If either goes down the drain unless you need some special parts such as interior trim, the aftermarket industry will fill the needs.

BTW, parts for most of the cars mentioned that are considered normal wear and tear and not covered under warranty are not inexpensive. For instance a header pipe for my Volvo is as we speak setting me back almost $600 installed by the dealer. An emergency brake cable installed from the dealer in almost $1,200 and so on. Not just Volvo that I can speak from experience but most manufacturers from across either ocean.

As for buying used vs new, even relatively new, you still can be hit with significant repair bills. I'd vote for new even if it means buying down if you decide to buy.
 
I would also want to get out of a Buick that needs frequent repairs as soon as possible.

I love cars and I follow the industry pretty closely. I remember what it was like getting that first car I could truly call my own and I'm glad you're going to get to experience that soon. Mine was a 1983 VW Rabbit GTI.

Normally, for someone young, I usually recommend a used car. But now you can get a new set of wheels for the same as used!

You've chosen some nice candidates.

The highest-rated car (and best selling) in your budget range is the Honda Civic. Deservedly so, as it's an excellent car. But I suspect you didn't leave it off of your list by mistake. Either it's not your style, or you don't want the same car as everyone else.

So, putting the Civic aside, my top pick would be the Mazda3. It's an excellent car. As you may know, they'll soon introduce a new version. Which means you'll be able to squeeze the bejesus out of the dealer on the price for a current edition (with the right timing).

If you're old enough to want to start to establish a credit rating, I would take advantage of any 0% financing offers and get a 2 or 3 year loan (but no longer than that). This would establish your credit, plus leave you some bucks in the bank as a cushion. If you make your down payment large (say 50%), the payments will be affordable.

While GM has turned themselves around greatly in the last 5 years and Saturn is their most shining example of what they're currently doing right, I do worry about the future of the brand. There is no doubt that it will either be sold, or closed down altogether by the end of 2009. That makes parts and service a a big question mark. So I would avoid Saturn.

Do not get the Volvo or BMW as repairs are very expensive. Even if you get pre-owned, certified from a dealer, once that extended warranty ends, you will be on the hook for those mega-expensive parts. Plus insurance on these is ugly (well, at least for the Bimmer, not sure about Volvo).

The Lancer is a decent car, but pales compared to the Corolla, Civic and Mazda3.

I do not yet trust Kia. I don't believe they've proven themselves at this point in time.

Like the Saturn Aura, I'm surprised at your selection of the Mercury Milan, as it's not very youthful. It's also at the very ceiling of your price range. If you don't need that size car, then I would get something more frugal.

The Scion models are also a solid choice. So if you hadn't consider them (they're the "Cool Toyotas") you should.

But the MZ3 is really a great car and as I said it would be my top pick for you.
 
consider insurance rates as well. That should count against the Lancer and tip the scales in favor of the Saturn and Volvo. I think I would choose the Mazda though. Plenty of punch, a blast to drive, and very good reliability. Something you haven't mention is a Honda/Acura. You can get a V-6 Accord or an Acura TSX for that price. My Acura CL-S has 120k with no issues.

The Honda Accord EX reminds me a lot of the Mercury Cougar Coupe from ~2003. Your mentioning of Acura however, did remind me of another possible contender:

8. Acura RSX (2003-2007)

acura%20rsx%20niot.net.jpg


Get whatever you want except I would avoid the Beemer like the plague. It is a car for people that can not only afford an expensive car but can afford expensive repairs as well. Audi is another but it is not on your list.

One of my friends from high school (35+ years) has sold cars his whole life, most of it regarding european cars and most of that German (not VW). This comes from him. The BMW's have become less and less reliable as time has passed. This has a gret deal to do with where they are now manufactured and their customer base, which I won't get into because it includes ethnicity statistics.

Yeah, I keep hearing about BMW's repair costs. Maybe by my 3rd car I can get one. Hey, maybe by then my mom will sell me her's cheap! :D

I've never really considered VW. Their values seem to drop, and many of the newer ones I have seen don't look too good after a couple years. I don't know why.

From Florida to NJ a couple of time a year. Take Amtrak and keep the money in the bank to save for grad school. Or, fly. Much cheaper.

Yeah, there is the thrill of a new car but with 3 years of school at a minumum ahead of you unless you are wealthy is going to be costly when you graduate.

If you really need a car, which most kids in university do not, look for the cheapest out there that is really basic transport. There are deals out there I see in the ads for under $10k with air and in Florida that is all you need. In fact, you'd be better off leasing for 3 year and turning it in about the time you graduate.

I'm not going to say much about my finances other than that I had planned, and was serious about my $15k figure. By "afford", I mean that it will not hurt my normal quality of life, nor my college future. And yes, a car is very necessary here. This campus has very little to offer, and Florida is such a massive state. Some of the deals from the local craigslist will take me 35-40 minutes to get there. I'm glad I had the Buick this year; I would have literally gone insane without a way to leave the campus and get around town.

By "a couple times a year", I mean only to get the car to and from NJ during the summer break. All other trips to and from home are by air. I did however bring the Buick here on the Amtrak Auto-Train. It was quite an experience! Though the trip was also pricey at around $500.

You brought up a good point with leasing; I may look into that.

I would also want to get out of a Buick that needs frequent repairs as soon as possible.

I love cars and I follow the industry pretty closely. I remember what it was like getting that first car I could truly call my own and I'm glad you're going to get to experience that soon. Mine was a 1983 VW Rabbit GTI.

Normally, for someone young, I usually recommend a used car. But now you can get a new set of wheels for the same as used!

You've chosen some nice candidates.

The highest-rated car (and best selling) in your budget range is the Honda Civic. Deservedly so, as it's an excellent car. But I suspect you didn't leave it off of your list by mistake. Either it's not your style, or you don't want the same car as everyone else.

So, putting the Civic aside, my top pick would be the Mazda3. It's an excellent car. As you may know, they'll soon introduce a new version. Which means you'll be able to squeeze the bejesus out of the dealer on the price for a current edition (with the right timing).

If you're old enough to want to start to establish a credit rating, I would take advantage of any 0% financing offers and get a 2 or 3 year loan (but no longer than that). This would establish your credit, plus leave you some bucks in the bank as a cushion. If you make your down payment large (say 50%), the payments will be affordable.

Thanks! Yes, I have ridden in a couple Civics, and while they are fine cars, I don't think that they are quite right for me. That's a few votes now for the Mazda3, I'll have to make arrangements to test drive one soon.

I already have a credit card, and a small college loan. I'd rather pay for the car up front if I can.

I do not yet trust Kia. I don't believe they've proven themselves at this point in time.

Like the Saturn Aura, I'm surprised at your selection of the Mercury Milan, as it's not very youthful. It's also at the very ceiling of your price range. If you don't need that size car, then I would get something more frugal.

The Scion models are also a solid choice. So if you hadn't consider them (they're the "Cool Toyotas") you should.

But the MZ3 is really a great car and as I said it would be my top pick for you.

I too have reservations about Kia, seeing as they are Hyundai's budget brand.

Why the Milan? I was hoping it would be a nice cross of luxary and power, but from what I'm hearing, it might not be so.

You're the second or third person to recommend Scion, so I take it they are pretty nice, and I do really like the TC. The big problem I have with it though is the dark interior. I really dislike dark interiors.
 
I do not blame you one bit on the desire to avoid a dark interior. Especially in Florida. I had a dark maroon interior in my Toyota when I lived down there and while it wasn't a scorcher, it didn't help.

But perhaps more important is that I find that mentally, I prefer light interiors. It helps keep my mood positive. I find that when I drive a car with a dark interior for an extended period, it's somewhat depressing.
 
Oh, you finally came out of the closet with a real reason for a car - transportation for vintage gear. I have a friend in the moving business who might be have a Volvo tractor and spare trailer he could sell you :).

What school are you attending btw? I forgot to ask. I graduated from Stetson University College of Law in St. Pete and had my CPA and law practice in the Mt Myers / Cape Coral area until I retired.
 
There are some great contenders in your line up. But from a ZOOM-ZOOM standpoint, I wouldn't be surprized if you could buy a new '09 Mazda 3i sedan or 5 door hatchback [ with a full warranty ] for around your budgeted amount this time of year.

Up here in MN, they're selling the base models that have lots of standard appointments for $14,640. You might even find some new '08 models still on the lot that are heavily discounted.

Okay, I admit I'm biased. My daily driver is an '07 Mazda 3 GT 5 door. It's a blast to drive and I typically average 30-31 mpg between city and highway driving. A very fun and practical car. I even hauled my 53" DLK4's home in it without breaking a sweat for room - there's plenty of space for vintage gear hijinxing for sure. :yes:

Just some insight, mind you. Make your car purchase based on what you want out of your car and which one you enjoy driving the most. If you spend any time commuting, focus on comfort and interior quality - you'll be looking at it alot during rush hour. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom