• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Category: TAPE find of the day?!?

Guess I've had this a while - found it buried in a box of old junk tapes acquired off Craigslist. It's still sealed. Don't think I expect it to sound great after being stored in the same wind for 30+ years, probably there will be lots of print-through, but I'll find out after I finally decide to unwrap it.

1766117492144.png
 
When I see a home recorded cassette on quality tape or a reel to reel in a thrift that has music I might like I buy it. I buy the reel to reel anyway.
 
Don't think I expect it to sound great
Well I was very wrong - in fact it's impressively listenable. Hardly any noise, no pre- or post-echoes that I noticed, and plenty of high-frequency content even with dolby (B) on. I'll speculate Maxell must have used their top ferric grade for these demo tapes, whatever that formulation was at the time.

The musical program itself is unremarkable though. Department-store-muzak holiday fluff. No artists are credited.
 
Today together with a Philips N5741 cassette deck 20x new Maxwell UR cassette tapes (version with screws) where delivered.
Per 5 pack, they are 10 euros more expensive then little over a year ago. Go figure .

1000008343.jpg
 
Kelly Family Christmas Songs. 120 minutes. Didn’t think this was even possible. And to all of you out there who enjoy the Kelly family, enjoy.
IMG_9202.jpegI’m going to exorcise that tape
 
I guess it's related to all things tape now due to the scarcity.
IMG_9250.jpegIMG_9181.jpeg
In this case I have a few more.
But THIS found last Saturday in a thrift store for 1 Swiss Franc. As is. Scratched and without cover. Thought I would use it for a tape loop project but the tape is still decent, albeit recorded extremely hot.
I guess this was the tape for a car radio.
 
IMG_9309.jpeg
What a nice find in a charity shop / thrift store yesterday, like a rare flower popped up.
On it: traditional music, nothing that special though.

The sticker on it is most amusing, it says good - whatever, lol.
 
Local thiftstore "scores". Some ancient Philips type 1 cassettes. Year 1971-1974 European versions

1 × Philips C-60 Low Noise with case
1 × Philips C-60 Low noise (no case)
1 × Philips C-90 Low noise (no case)

1000009030.jpg

1000009032.jpg

And from a local online used good site delivered today:

Philips Ferro Chromium C-60 from 1975 - 1977 (Type III)
Philips Ultra Ferro C-60 form 1981- 1983 (Type I)
Philips Ultra Chrome C-60 from 1981 -1983 (Type 1)

1000009034.jpg

1000009035.jpg
1000009036.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 1000009035.jpg
    1000009035.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1000009032.jpg
    1000009032.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
anything cool recorded on them?
To be honest, haven't checked yet. Going to be lots of fun to play the pre 1973 'low' noise max 12500 HZ C60 Ferro tape I expect! :rflmao::yikes:

Here is the 1971 / 1974 series including the C60 Low noise Ferro type I cassette and R2R tapes in a 1974 Dutch Philips HiFi brochure. No further specs though I

1000009102.jpg
 
Last edited:
Two days ago. Local online and Thrift store purchase / prices only of course. 2 x Philips Metal C60, for resp. €5,- (plus €4,99 shipping) for the one with inlay and without for €1 euro (Thrift store). The thrift store one, came in an open box with 12 other cassettes mostly Philips for in total €12,- Euros..

These tapes I buy just for 'fun', looks. Not for sonic quality / real use!


The one with inlay:

1000009203.jpg

1000009202.jpg

1000009199.jpg

1000009200.jpg

Without inlay:

1000009206.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 1000009208.jpg
    1000009208.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1
  • 1000009203.jpg
    1000009203.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom