• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Category: TAPE find of the day?!?

I went to my favourite Value Village yesterday on 30% off day for 60plus. We did all right! My wife found all kinds of treasures, I found a pair of Columbia shorts that fit, a pair of Eddie Bauer pants that are too small, and a couple of pre-recorded cassettes! I've never seen the Mami & Sting before, but the cassette is good quality. About to put it on now. Nina was really good!

IMG_5035.jpg
 
I picked up 58 tapes today, along with two storage cases. They’ve all been recorded on once, mostly with classic rock. The good news is 54 of the tapes are Type II, along with one metal tape. The bad news is most seem to have had a channel imbalance during recording, with the left channel being much hotter than the right (confirmed on two different decks). I’m not sure if I’ll just record over these or not.

Here’s the list:

30 TDK SA-C90
10 TDK SA-90
1 TDK SA-60
1 TDK HX-S90
1 TDK SA-X60
1 TDK MA-C90
10 Maxell XLII-90
1 Maxell UD-C90
2 BASF Professional-I (90)

BF5A4C8B-BF5F-4E73-B99E-FB4E01B6648F.jpeg 0E1080B4-8F2A-4C95-BFD1-5F4996D86D4D.jpeg 1B787CE7-2D50-4177-903E-9267AFA1A1BC.jpeg C339EE8F-BCCC-4487-BC79-E3689305EC0C.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Omg..I just found out recently that just one of those Sony Masters tapes is worth 150 to 200 each. Wrapped,as brandnew...
Who Knew..lol
Not quite. Sony SUPER Metal Master sell for $150+. Regular Metal Master, which are still superb tapes, have been going $75-100 tops.

But still a FREAKING AMAZING ACCIDENTAL HAUL!!!!

Definitely a couple of $1000 in tapes. Those boxes of MA-R 90s are worth the most. I can’t tell exactly what you got there, but easily figure $100 each for MA-R and Metal Master and $75 for MA-XG, minimum. So what, $6-7,000 worth? Basically a tape heads wet dream. What did you pay for the benches?

BTW, what are your plans for them?
 
Last edited:
Here is my recent tape find(s)

CASSETTE_STACK_small.jpg

2 boxes of cassettes with various music,among them some jewels:
Dire Straits still sealed. 3xTEAC Cobalt 52 bodies are a bit rough and dirty, but this is first time ever I'm holding these flashy cassettes in my hands :)
Good SA-X but jewel case is beatup
 
I picked up 58 tapes today, along with two storage cases. They’ve all been recorded on once, mostly with classic rock. The good news is 54 of the tapes are Type II, along with one metal tape. The bad news is most seem to have had a channel imbalance during recording, with the left channel being much hotter than the right (confirmed on two different decks). I’m not sure if I’ll just record over these or not.

Here’s the list:

30 TDK SA-C90
10 TDK SA-90
1 TDK SA-60
1 TDK HX-S90
1 TDK SA-X60
1 TDK MA-C90
10 Maxell XLII-90
1 Maxell UD-C90
2 BASF Professional-I (90)

View attachment 2630784 View attachment 2630785 View attachment 2630786 View attachment 2630787
What? No BALANCE control on your (pre-) amp?? It'll probably come down to content.
 
Hi New to this website, just browsing and found this topic. I was brought up on cassettes. They use to fill up the dash in the car. Sliding one side to the other. lol
I still have a few in boxes somewhere I will have to find. Mostly 80s and 90s stuff.

Here's a few that have been sitting in a box above my bench for years. Probably just rubbish. :)
20230224_193218.jpg
 
Hi New to this website, just browsing and found this topic. I was brought up on cassettes. They use to fill up the dash in the car. Sliding one side to the other. lol
I still have a few in boxes somewhere I will have to find. Mostly 80s and 90s stuff.

Here's a few that have been sitting in a box above my bench for years. Probably just rubbish. :)
View attachment 2808829

Nice. I used to have a bunch of those BASF tapes. I still have a few I recorded mix tapes on that I still listen to today.
 
I've been diving into 8 Tracks lately. Picked up a nice, almost new looking Realistic 8 Track player. Over the weekend, I found someone selling two cases full of 8 Tracks and a stereo 8 Track player (inexpensive Realistic model) on Facebook Marketplace for $70 total. 90% of the titles were good classic 1970s rock. I figured I could sell the player for half that total and get two cases and 48 cassettes for essentially $35.

Today I was browsing an 8 Track buy, sell, trade group on Facebook and someone was offering a copy of Def Leppard's Pyromania on 8 Track for $85. I thought he was out of his mind until I checked eBay sold prices on the darn thing (granted, less than $85 but not much). I dug through my recent haul and, sure enough...

i-WZFwrbk-L.jpg
 
Here`s a few that I got off of FreeCycle, which is a community bulletin board type of deal, where people post all kinds of stuff that they`re giving away, rather than just toss it all in a dumpster. I`ve seen everything from baby clothes to cement mixers on there....

upload_2023-4-27_21-59-34.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom