• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Guy here...Sansui collector

desertdog

New Member
Hi all. First post. I have for some strange reason, collected Sansui gear over the years. Not sure why! It just ended up that way. (AU-11000, AU-417, TU-417, and others). My neighbor just gave me a 9090 receiver. Front end lights up but no sound. My guess from reading this site is that the F2436-1 driver board may be kaput.
I looked it over and three of the transistors look like they are fried. (Black on the steel top of the part). He claims the output transistors are good....not sure how he tested these.
Any help or suggestions from you guys would be appreciated. You are the experts!

Thanks!

DesertDog
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to AK!!!!

There's a wealth of information in the forum, read up and good luck!

By the way, is it in protection? I.E. does the red flashing light turn green?
 
Are the jumpers in place for the pre-out main-in jacks on the rear?

How about a pic of the "fried" transistors.

Welcome to AK.

Rob
 
Welcome DesertDog, You will find tons of info here.

Pictures are always good.

If it is in protection (red light flashing) then the driver board is probably the cause, if it doesn't have blown fuses then the outputs are probably good.
 
WOW! Thanks for the quick response! Verry cool....

Thank you for your interest and thoughts/questions. To answer some:

1. I'll have to figure out how to post photos...I am new here. But to describe as best I can, on the F-2436-1 board, TR's 09, 10, and 05 have a black "smuge" on the silver metal top part of the trasistor. Not sure of that means they just got hot over time, or if they are blown.
2. THe Power Protector light turns GREEN. No problem there.
3. On the Pre out and Main in jumpers....I don't know where those are. Can someone advise me where to look?
4. On the F-2546 board all the fuses look good (at least the ones I can see). I haven;t removed any boards except the F-2546-1 board.
5. We live in Scottsdale, up next to Carefree.

Thanks!

Desert Dog
 
Thank you for your interest and thoughts/questions. To answer some:

1. I'll have to figure out how to post photos...I am new here. But to describe as best I can, on the F-2436-1 board, TR's 09, 10, and 05 have a black "smuge" on the silver metal top part of the trasistor. Not sure of that means they just got hot over time, or if they are blown.
2. THe Power Protector light turns GREEN. No problem there.
3. On the Pre out and Main in jumpers....I don't know where those are. Can someone advise me where to look?
4. On the F-2546 board all the fuses look good (at least the ones I can see). I haven;t removed any boards except the F-2546-1 board.
5. We live in Scottsdale, up next to Carefree.

Thanks!

Desert Dog

Another valley AK member...Good to have you sir!:thmbsp:
 
No jumpers on the back!

Hello. Thanks for the tip on the jumpers on the back...I have none. Can I make these or where can I order them? Thanks!
 
you can use normal rca cables to connect the pre-out and the main in. Maybe not the badest solution.

regards
Sascha
 
RCA cables...

Hello. Thank you for the RCA connector idea....don;t know why I didn;t think of that!....not enough coffee this AM, probably!
Anyway, that did nothing. Hooked up some 5" speakers I have lying around, and still no sound. THe green light is on and the FM meters show I am getting reception.

I am at a loss. Anyway, thank you all for your help and suggestions! You guys are great!

Desert Dog
 
Hi,

you can check where the problem is (pre- or main-amp), if you connect the pre out with the main in of your AU-11000, if music sounds, your power amp has a problem. The other way round (preout from AU 11000 to main in from 9090) the pre amp has a problem.

Hope you can follow me :scratch2:

Bye
Sascha
 
Pre-out Main-in

Hi Sascha. Thank you for the ideas. I will plug in my AU11000 as you suggest tonight. As you point out, this should localize the problem area. I checked the speaker selection switch and I get no sound in any position, even if I change the speakers (A to B or to C).

Thanks for your help! I will report back later. Your instructions are excellent.

Desert Dog
 
Welcome to AK. The 9090 is a great receiver well worth the trouble to get going. Especially if it was free.
 
Latest Update....

I have some old SAE gear in the garage where I am working on the Sansui 9090, so I used that as my test mule. (It's not the "good stuff" SAE, it was made just before they went under, if I understand it correctly).

When I hooked up the PRE OUT from the 9090 to the Input on the SAE amp, I get zero sound through the SAE unit to it's speakers.

WHen I hooked up the MAIN IN from the 9090 to the Output on the SAE amp, I get good sound coming through the speakers hooked up to the Sansui 9090.

Soooo, if I understand this correctly (Big IF), then the Pre-Amp section in the 9090 is probably bad. Is this correct? What board is that?

Thanks again to all for your wonderful assistance!

Desert Dog
 
Hi,

yes you´r right, it´s the pre amp section.

here you can download the service manual of the 9090. You only have to create a new account, it´s for free :thmbsp:

http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/sansui/9090.shtml

Maybe it helps to find the error.

Sorry, I can´t do more for you. I´m not a tech and have no plan, if it going into the amp. :(
Good luck, will cross my fingers to you.

Bye
Sascha
 
Is there any noise at all?

Have you cycled all the switches a bunch of times? What inputs have you tried with the pre-amp?
 
Switches and inputs...

Hi. I have played with the switches and there is no sound. The unit itself looks clean, probably a 7.5 overall. As far as inputs, I haven't tried any...just the FM and AM as the front end lights up and the signal strength meters mover as I move the dial.
My theory on that was that since I have a green protector light, the front lights up, and the meters move as I move the dial, that I should get FM sound through the speakers.
When I hooked the 9090 Main In to my SAE amp's Output, I only listened to the SAE tuner through the speakers hooked up to the 9090. This came through loud and clear.
Not sure if I understand your suggestion.....should I hook up the 9090's Pre Out to the SAE amps Input and hook up a CD player to the 9090 input and see if it will play? Please advise....

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Desert Dog
 
Back
Top Bottom