• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New here, in deep with Yamaha CR-1020

Rococo

Member
hi all, new to the AK community and relatively new to vintage gear period. Slowly found myself drifting toward convenience audio solutions over the past decade or so until I found myself thinking that a single Sonos Play 5 was the pinnacle of hi-if majesty.

Getting back to the basics now that I have a space in the house that is all mine. Still very much a newbie, more into the music and aesthetic and feel of vintage than a tape head/gear head...whatever they are called. I have a Marantz 2238b driving a pair of Klipsch KG 3.2 which is great for my room. Heard so much about the CR-1020 and wanted some more power so thought I'd try out this with my rig as well.

Long story short, I got a great deal on a clean unit with only two issues...VU Meters need replacing and bulbs are out. I've never had to do any work on my MArantz but think I can handle the bulbs, what am I getting myself into with the VU meter replacement? Is this a job for a beginner such as myself or should I seek out a pro?

Any resources out there for something like this or is it pretty self explanatory once your in there?

Thanks all, looking forward to becoming more involved in here.
 
Register to hide this ad
Replacing the meter lamps is pretty easy. Replace all the incandescent lights while your in there.

Lots of posts on here about Yamaha lamps. Use the search function and you will find a lot of info and where to get the proper ones.

Oh ya, welcome to AK.

Rob
 
Whats up with the VU meters ? Why do you think they need to be replaced ?

The unit works without issue but the meters do not move when playing or seem operational. When I picked it up the prior owner mentioned the same and had already picked up a replacement set of meters but had yet to put them in.
 
Crank up the volume real loud and see if they move. Could just need and adjustment.
 
I could see the meter circuit malfunction that would disable both meters.
 
The last 1020 I had here. Even after alignment you had to crank it up a bit to get the meters to move.
 
Also, one of the CR-1020 meters does double-duty as a signal strength (Signal Q) indicator for the tuner; there is a switch that selects this.
 
As noted, it does take some oomph to move Yamaha receiver meters compared to the larger power meters in Yamaha amps of the same era.

Avionic is a Yamaha-man, knows his stuff...he'll give you good advice.
 
Similar problem: I'm in-process of relamping my CR-1020 & found that the resistor in the commonly available replacement pre-wired 12V white LED gets too hot to touch, which seems unsafe. I measure 19.6V at the lamp leads. IS the solution to use another, additional resistor? Or should different LEDs be selected? BTW, Rococo, there's a meter sensitivity adjustment pot.
 
BTW, Rococo, there's a meter sensitivity adjustment pot.
I think you had better double check on that statement. Theres a power meter level adjustment procedure. The sensitivity adjustment is for the right channels meter's secondary function.( SQ meter sensitivity ) ie. tuner.
 
Was able to give it a good test the other day True to what you all said it took a lot of juice to get the needles to dancing... But they do work.

If there is a way to set sensitivity in all ears but likely not young to pop it back open for awhile
 
The first "peg" on the meter is at 1 watt of power, and even then, the movement is very subtle. Now, 1 watt is a LOT of power, rarely will you play that loud (unless you have really inefficient speakers, which is not common). For this reason, the meters on this receiver are largely useless. On my amp, the first "peg" on the meter is at 7 mW (that's 0.007 W), and it rarely goes past 0.5 W. I've never even been able to get it past the 5 W mark. When I try, the walls start crumbling. My speakers are rated at 91 dB sensitivity.
 
Similar problem: I'm in-process of relamping my CR-1020 & found that the resistor in the commonly available replacement pre-wired 12V white LED gets too hot to touch, which seems unsafe. I measure 19.6V at the lamp leads. IS the solution to use another, additional resistor? Or should different LEDs be selected? BTW, Rococo, there's a meter sensitivity adjustment pot.
Is it supposed to be 19.6 volts? Seems high but maybe someone with more tech knowledge than me will chime in on that. I have some 24 volt LED lamps that I connected to two 9 volt batteries to test them and they lit up very well on 18 volts. They came with the resistor wired in. I would think there wouldn't be a heat problem using 24 volt lamps and they should be bright enough.
 
Back
Top Bottom