• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Infinity Qb from scratch

elnaldo

Lunatic Member
Hello. Bought a parted out Infinity Qa some years ago (without cabinets, shipping large cabinets down here would be too expensive) , bought a pair of Philips mid ranges later (many years ago), and now I committed the building of new boxes to fit everything inside.

I'm not doing the wood work by myself, the woodworker send me picts of the progress. He is using a single sheet of 18mm MDF. He will add a reinforcement in the middle, actually a rectangular piece glued all around, with a large hole.I think this won't take a lot of internal volume.

Stay tuned.

193b099a-827a-4a73-a940-4d88032b8a89.jpeg 39945c23-4a57-4744-aeb3-d63dffd9c2b2.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Should be better than new, the cabinets were the weak spot on the Qb. What kind of veneer are you using?
 
Never heard of using cedar as a veneer; it's a pretty soft wood. Maybe cedar means something different down there.
 
I think they call it "cedar" and it's any wood, it could be even that "particle veneer", that kind that looks like wood but it's not a real wood veneer.
 
Last edited:
I did a similar project but with the RSb. Lots of reengineering, notably the midrange enclosures and adding rear firing emits. I used laminated birch for the cabinets and cut everything by hand. The crossovers were a project by themselves. Not familiar with the Philips mid ranges you are using. The final results of my Reincarnated RSb's however were outstanding. I looked at a set of Audax midranges but glad I used the original Infinity's with the polycones and butyl rubber surrounds. Good to see this level of restorations on these Bookshelf Infinity vintage speakers. They were the Porsche of their day and stand proud today with a little love and attention.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 57
I'm replicating a pair of Qb, from one pair of Qa + one pair of original mids, so no design involved here. I'll be copying the Qb crossover.

This speakers are very expensive down here, I think this pair with new cabinets could sell for $800 - 1000 (if somebody ever decides to sell them)
 
Nice. I really like the sound of the Qb. One of my vintage favourites. Hard to beat when cabinets are reinforced like you are doing. Feed them healthy power.
 
I received the boxes a couple of weeks ago, and honestly I think they are too reddish, If I knew the color in advance, I'd choose another finish. I'm really tempted to redo the finish, but the speakers are for a friend, not for me, I asked him and he told me he doesn't care of that detail, that I can leave them alone.

I need to DIY or buy the woofer and mid-range inductors. It will take some weeks for sure, I'm always quite busy with several projects in parallel.
 
Very nice... Can we get an update on how they sound? Its awesome to find folks who appreciate this vintage infinity sound and bring them back to original or better specs....
 
Back
Top Bottom