• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New J-pole for the barn workshop

The adjustable coax plate is clever.

dew.


Yes, he gets an A+ for that!



For dimensions...

http://www.hamuniverse.com/jpole.html

Enter your center frequency, 100 mhz is good, or anywhere around there, and click the Calculate button.

J-poles are very popular for ham radio 6 meter (50-54 mhz), 2 meter (145-148 mhz), and 70 cm bands (440 mhz).

And they are great for FM.


You can ground the stub if you want to, but it does not matter whether it is grounded or not as far as performance.
 
Yes, he gets an A+ for that!

Well, its a few days in but thank you sir (and all) for the passing grade! My dad, a retired teacher would be proud to see that if he were still with us. I'm amazed how many views this thread has had over something as simple as an old antenna design which is working very well for me. I want to see pics of the ones you boys build and hear of the results:thmbsp:

J.R.
 
Great old thread, Im on to building another j pole to feed the tuner in my home office.
Thanks again
bob

I had forgotten just how old...almost three years now and I have since moved but the antenna I built is working like a charm. Good to hear you're building a second one. Hey , didn't I mention something about pictures the last time you posted?:D

J.R.
 
I'd like to bump this old thread, too. I'm ready to experiment with this with my garage system. Any advice on tuning one for particular frequencies? My three favorite stations here are 90.9, 93.9 and 94.9. Do I just aim for something in the middle? I'm pretty clueless about antennas.

Thanks!
 
I'd like to bump this old thread, too. I'm ready to experiment with this with my garage system. Any advice on tuning one for particular frequencies? My three favorite stations here are 90.9, 93.9 and 94.9. Do I just aim for something in the middle? I'm pretty clueless about antennas.

Thanks!

Yes, if you want the most bang then design for something in the middle. 93 MHz is fine.

The J-pole has a pretty wide bandwidth. Most people just design for the middle of the FM band, say 100 MHz, and call it good. The performance will start to fall off near the top and bottom of the band but in most cases that won't matter enough to make a difference. If it does matter then a directional antenna such as a log-periodic or yagi might be a better choice if space is available to rotate them.
 
I'd like to bump this old thread, too. I'm ready to experiment with this with my garage system. Any advice on tuning one for particular frequencies? My three favorite stations here are 90.9, 93.9 and 94.9. Do I just aim for something in the middle? I'm pretty clueless about antennas.

Thanks!

Sounds like the best plan for you would be to spec it out at 92.9 mHz - hit the middle. Tho 93mHz would be pretty darned close and the math would be cleaner without the decimals (grin).
 
you can definitely tune the antenna for the low end of the band but I cut mine for the middle at 99.0. I get very good results at 88.1 and 89.9. As always YMMV...
 
Thanks for the info, guys.

Another question, a bit oddball. I have a chunk of flexible copper tubing leftover from when I installed my gas range years ago. I think it is 1/2 inch type L. Besides the less than stellar looks, would it be useable?
 
Thanks for the info, guys.

Another question, a bit oddball. I have a chunk of flexible copper tubing leftover from when I installed my gas range years ago. I think it is 1/2 inch type L. Besides the less than stellar looks, would it be useable?

Go for it as long as it is not the corrugated stuff.
 
Pretty hot topic back in the day. A lot of these guys are residing in the "Where are they now?" file:

attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


________________
 
Someone asked if a J-pole be feed with 300 ohm wire. The answer is yes but the feed point will change. As a starting point about half way up the stub. Use a pair of large clips and move the wire up and down while listening to a weak station. Run the 300 Ohm wire at a right angle to the antenna for at least 6" to get it away from the antenna tubing. J-pole antennas are popular with hams because the antenna is a good match to 50 Ohm coax and that is what most ham transmitters require. The feed point with coax can be very critical for FM reception. If you are having problems your feed line may not be matching the receiver or the antenna. 75 ohm coax will work but the feed point will be a little higher than with 50 ohm coax. The J-pole antenna is a 1/2 wavelength end fed antenna with a matching stub. Years ago I fed them with 450 ohm ladder line for 10 meter work.
 
Last edited:
I've never heard of using one as a receiving antenna. I thought they were designed as a transmitting antenna only. Not that you couldn't use it for receiving, of course. Made of metal and all...

Very interesting regarding FM. I've got about a 12' ceiling up in the attic. This could be interesting!
Antennas that work good for transmitting work exceptionally well for receiving on the same band it was cut for.

At the end of the day antennas are nothing more than RF tuning forks. When you design one to pick up a band or specific frequency for transmission they are equally good for reception.

J-Pole antennas are nothing more than glorified dipole antennas. They are technically end-fed dipoles.

Regular balanced dipole antennas have to be fed where the voltage is highest. Problem with this is that center fed antennas being balanced require balanced feed lines like twin lead which is what most FM receiver antennas are made of. They are often folded 300 ohm twin lead types that come with your stereos when new, you know.. the old two leg types you hang up horizontally where the lead comes down the centre.

J-poles are absolutely no different, except they are fed at the END. That means they need a means to transform the current at the end into voltage at the centre.
This requires an extra 1/4 wave section, this is the J part of a J-Pole, or the end section at the bottom that acts as an electrical short transformer (impedance match).

I hope I got my info all right here.
My point is that a J-Pole is a dipole is a J-pole is a dipole regardless if it is made from metal tubes or wire. Metal is metal (please no one talk about velocity factor, no one wants that)
They are identical antennas in how they operate. One is end fed (j-pole), one is center fed (dipole).
Yes Dipoles are electrically balanced antennas by nature which means either you need twin lead wire to your receiver input.
J-Poles look like they are not balanced, after all we connect coax to one side of the legs, usually to the ground lead to the short end.
However THEY ARE STILL BALANCED antennas. The ONLY way to remove the artefacts of coaxial interaction is either by making a current balun, or using twin lead to it as if it was a dipole in the first place.

TL;DR :
Everyone thinking a j-pole is somehow better than your wire or fixed install dipole are fooling yourselves which is cool because I love to study RF and help.
They both have the same gain and electrical characteristics when it comes to the radiating element. Only difference is how you feed it.
In fact j-poles often have a gain loss because of the balun used in most setups.

It gets far weirder though. There are charts using software showing j-poles can benefit because of feedline radiation, there are unpredictable circumstances that makes a j-pole either work miracles or less worthy than your dual lead 300 ohm tacked up on the wall dipole.

Just remember this one fact if everything I said was too long, an antenna made for transmitting will usually work better for receive than a receive antenna that could work as a transmit antenna.
Transmitters require accuracy in element length because of SWR and so much more. You can tie a random wire to a receiver and hear something.
Hope that makes sense.. the comparison.

/me lays down the beer can
 
Last edited:
One more note:
I hope what I said made it obvious that a j-pole antenna is IDENTICAL to a regular strung up on the wall dipole two legged antenna.
The difference that really takes the cake is how they are mounted.
There is a reason J-Poles exist, mostly because they are super easy to mount at the base.
Dipoles like those two wire legged antennas everyone knows here needs a middle support to hold it up, then needs to be far away from the tower or pole so not to interact with the metal support.

What I am saying here is that at a technical point of view there is seldom difference between the two, but the cactus looking j-pole is often the benefit because you can mount it at a base rather than centre.

Electrically they are basically the same. They have roughly the same gain. You will benefit using a j-pole if you NEED to mount it that way.

They are identical antennas, outside of where the feed-line comes into it.

Sorry for being a party pooper. I have been working with RF electronics, ham radio, pirate radio and so much other stuff too long to mention I would love to debate this if need so.

In the mean time, enjoy your antenna, and given the randomness of feed-line radiation, potential ground to tower interactions and so on, maybe it does outperform other antennas in your circumstance.
I have been blown away before by peoples setups that theoretically should not bet better, but blow me away :)

Enjoy your setup :)
 
Very interesting! Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Still gonna get my Tech one of these days...dammit.
 
Back
Top Bottom