• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New large caps are being manufactured below specified value. Request for measurements

I’ve been noticing the same trend for a while. Here are some of my own measurements, mostly from parts purchased/tested in early 2025. Values shown are averages of identical new parts.

SeriesRatedQtyAverageDeviation
Nichicon LLS8,200/5027,285 µF-11.2%
CDE 380LX10,000/5028,635 µF-13.7%
Nichicon LLS10,000/8028,440 µF-15.6%
Chemi-Con SMH8,200/8027,300 µF-11.0%
Chemi-Con SMH10,000/10028,630 µF-13.7%
CDE 380LX10,000/10029,055 µF-9.5%
Rubycon TXW100/100482.55 µF-17.5%
Nichicon UKW100/100489.73 µF-10.3%
Panasonic FR-A47/50443.00 µF-8.5%
Nichicon UPM10/10029.572 µF-4.3%
Panasonic FC10/100210.108 µF+1.1%
Rubycon YXM1/10021.023 µF+2.3%
Nichicon UDB BP4.7/5024.320 µF-8.1%

What catches my attention is not simply that many parts measure below nominal. It is how tightly grouped parts from the same batch usually are.
Whether I measure 2, 10, 50 or 100 pieces, I often find very little part-to-part variation, yet the whole group tends to be on the same side of nominal, increasingly toward the lower end of the tolerance range.

I’m seeing this with film capacitors as well as electrolytics. For example, in a recent bag of 100x Kemet R82 2.2 nF ±5% film caps, a large portion measures around 2.108 nF, or about -4.2%, very close to the lower limit while still being tightly grouped.

The table above is mostly from early 2025, and at that time I still occasionally had batches such as the FC or YXM that were at or above nominal. What I find different in 2026 is that I almost never seem to receive a batch centered anywhere near the upper tolerance limit anymore.

Since it has already been mentioned here by Blue Shadow that Nichicon confirmed deliberately targeting below nominal on some production while remaining within tolerance, I’m wondering how widespread this practice has become.

Has anyone here recently received a sizeable batch 10, 20, 50 or 100 parts whose average was clearly closer to the upper tolerance limit than to the lower one?


I’m not talking about one capacitor measuring high. I mean an actual production lot statistically centered toward the upper end.
It would be interesting to know whether low-side centering has effectively become an economic manufacturing standard across most of the major capacitor manufacturers.
 
Nichicon UKL1V100KDD1TA, 10 µF / 35 V
Measured 5 out of 50:
9.708, 9.734, 9.696, 9.676, 9.749 µF
Average: 9.713 µF (-2.87%)
Spread within the measured sample: 0.073 µF, or about 0.75%.

Rubycon 50TWL3R3MEFC5X11, 3.3 µF / 50 V
Measured 7 out of 50:
2.929, 2.925, 2.900, 2.915, 2.933, 2.921, 2.929 µF
Average: 2.922 µF (-11.46%)
Spread within the measured sample: 0.033 µF, or about 1.13%.

Both samples are tightly grouped internally, even though the Rubycon lot is centered substantially farther below nominal value.
 
Back
Top Bottom