• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Morning Habit - Classical Music and Coffee - What do YOU Play in the AM?

For mornings, I like Brazilian and Cuban music. It puts me in a happy and energetic mood.
To me, a lot of classical music makes me think of lullabies, or brooding. Both are wrong for mornings, to me.

Meet too. I love Brazilian with my cup of Columbian every weekend morning for the past 15 years. Sets just the right mood. I grew up waking up to Mozart my whole childhood so maybe that's why it no longer does it for me as an adult.
 
Me and the girlfriend always have coffee and stream Jazz off spotify, starts off our weekends in the right direction. Usually we end our late night vinyl sessions with Miles or Trane she is the best, puts up with and actually enjoys my music and vintage equipment addiction lol
 
It depends, but i do have a Sunday morning ritual of classic gospel.

:thmbsp: Nice.

I have gone back to Jazz for most working mornings, but Saturday and Sunday I usually spin Classical.

Sunday from 1 PM until 6 PM is usually reserved for streaming "Jazz Night in America" and "Jazz Sunday", two of my favorite Jazz Shows from National Public Radio. I always forget what station I stream since it's programmed into memory, but it's out of the Midwest, although many stations broadcast those two shows.
 
Me and the girlfriend always have coffee and stream Jazz off spotify, starts off our weekends in the right direction. Usually we end our late night vinyl sessions with Miles or Trane she is the best, puts up with and actually enjoys my music and vintage equipment addiction lol

You're very fortunate. My Girlfriend HATES Jazz with a passion and never forgets to tell me, sometimes very succinctly. It's a very sore subject in our relationship and I'm actually believing it may be the end of the relationship... eventually. When you can't share your passion with someone you love, what's the purpose of the passion? Intimacy is not just physical, it's emotional. The fact that she also hates coffee is just another nail in the dead relationship coffin.

One of the reasons I maintain my own home on the Mainland is that she stays in Hawaii and I can go to Florida and "batch it".
I relax and enjoy headphone-free Jazz and Coffee with no one barking about how horrible the music sounds or how awful the coffee smells.
 
Last edited:
You're very fortunate. My Girlfriend HATES Jazz with a passion and never forgets to tell me, sometimes very succinctly. It's a very sore subject in our relationship and I'm actually believing it may be the end of the relationship... eventually. When you can't share your passion with someone you love, what's the purpose of the passion? Intimacy is not just physical, it's emotional. The fact that she also hates coffee is just another nail in the dead relationship coffin.

One of the reasons I maintain my own home on the Mainland is that she stays in Hawaii and I can go to Florida and "batch it".
I relax and enjoy headphone-free Jazz and Coffee with no one barking about how horrible the music sounds or how awful the coffee smells.

Wow Billy that sucks I guess I am very Lucky, we met over a year and a half ago. When I asked her what she wanted to do on our first date she said she wanted to have a couple of cocktails somewhere, pick up chinese to go and listen to my records. She moved in 2 months ago and we just love the same things, stereo is always on, live music together, and visiting record stores with each other. We are both Jazz newbies , an interesting thing is her grandfather lived in New Orleans and played a few times with Al Hirt so we have a few vinyl lps from him. I know how you feel my ex hated most of my music and would have never sat with me and enjoyed coffee and some good music, I just met that once in a lifetime person and feel very fortunate.
 
Wow Billy that sucks I guess I am very Lucky, we met over a year and a half ago. When I asked her what she wanted to do on our first date she said she wanted to have a couple of cocktails somewhere, pick up chinese to go and listen to my records. She moved in 2 months ago and we just love the same things, stereo is always on, live music together, and visiting record stores with each other. We are both Jazz newbies , an interesting thing is her grandfather lived in New Orleans and played a few times with Al Hirt so we have a few vinyl lps from him. I know how you feel my ex hated most of my music and would have never sat with me and enjoyed coffee and some good music, I just met that once in a lifetime person and feel very fortunate.

No kidding Zap, you are very fortunate.

Welcome to the AWESOME world of Jazz. What a Genre! I've been into Jazz since my senior year in High School when my music theory teacher had Jazz playing one morning before class started and I was blown away by it. My Father was into Jazz big time, but I never bothered to even listen to what he played in his den while growing up, so I got into Rock. Luckily, when my Father passed, I inherited his Jazz Collection. Most of it is older 45' but he did have a few 33 albums and a few reel to reel tapes.

The more you get into Jazz the more you appreciate it and the more diversions in the genre you will discover. There are Classic Jazz Masters like Coltrane and Davis, there are Bepop and Hard Bop and Swing and Big Band and Dixieland, and Jazz Ballads and the list goes on.

I urg you to head on over to the "Today's Jazz Playlist" thread here on AK to see what your fellow Jazz Aficionados are spinning. There are dozens of great Jazz Albums posted every day, and you can sample these on Youtube to see if you like them, unless you make use of Spotify or Apple Music or another streaming service.

Aloha!
-Billy
 
Most weekend mornings are at the farm, and there's not a ton of FM stations (plus no cable, and expensive by-the-gig satellite internet, so no streaming).

I've been doing my coffee and music listening to WKZE in the Hudson Valley. Great mix of jazz, indie, and classics. Get a good head of caffeine going and get out to the fields. :)
 
Last edited:
No kidding Zap, you are very fortunate.

Welcome to the AWESOME world of Jazz. What a Genre! I've been into Jazz since my senior year in High School when my music theory teacher had Jazz playing one morning before class started and I was blown away by it. My Father was into Jazz big time, but I never bothered to even listen to what he played in his den while growing up, so I got into Rock. Luckily, when my Father passed, I inherited his Jazz Collection. Most of it is older 45' but he did have a few 33 albums and a few reel to reel tapes.

The more you get into Jazz the more you appreciate it and the more diversions in the genre you will discover. There are Classic Jazz Masters like Coltrane and Davis, there are Bepop and Hard Bop and Swing and Big Band and Dixieland, and Jazz Ballads and the list goes on.

I urg you to head on over to the "Today's Jazz Playlist" thread here on AK to see what your fellow Jazz Aficionados are spinning. There are dozens of great Jazz Albums posted every day, and you can sample these on Youtube to see if you like them, unless you make use of Spotify or Apple Music or another streaming service.

Aloha!
-Billy
I am on spotify so i do check out many new things, for sure a newbie in the Jazz area but I like it. I am very varied in my musical tastes but the Grateful Dead and Frank Zappa are a couple of my faves. A good jazz selection just soothes my soul as does a great Playing In The Band from the Dead circa 1973 does. I have been actually checking out Todays Jazz playlist to check out more things, spotify is awesome. Anyway Billy thanks for tips and hopefully things work out with your lady friend even if she doesnt like your music. My good friend and fellow deadhead Rob always says this about his wife who hates our music "I sure do feel sorry for her ears" LOL :thmbsp:
 
I'll listen to our local classical station mostly on sunday, quite early in the morning, at low volume. I'm up at 5:00am having coffee everyday, but the rest of the house is asleep.
 
I'll listen to our local classical station mostly on sunday, quite early in the morning, at low volume. I'm up at 5:00am having coffee everyday, but the rest of the house is asleep.

That sounds like my schedule, Nines. Too many years of getting up before the crack of dawn. It's a habit now. And it's very peaceful at that hour.
 
For the past couple of years before I had to move to Atlanta on Saturday mornings my wife and I would spin a classical album and have our tea & coffee in bed. It was like "why we didn't start doing this years ago". Here during the week often I'll re-play the last side on the table from the night before while having my coffee and checking the computer. It's a timer of sorts, it gives me 20 min and then prompts me to head for the bathroom and get ready for work.
 
For the past couple of years before I had to move to Atlanta on Saturday mornings my wife and I would spin a classical album and have our tea & coffee in bed. It was like "why we didn't start doing this years ago". Here during the week often I'll re-play the last side on the table from the night before while having my coffee and checking the computer. It's a timer of sorts, it gives me 20 min and then prompts me to head for the bathroom and get ready for work.

That sounds great. My S.O. hates coffee, but she does drink herbal tea. Unfortunately, she is dead set against ever drinking beverages or eating in bed. She's deathly afraid of Cockroaches, and they thrive in Hawaii. You have to store cereal boxes and all dry goods in the fridge. Otherwise, you will be bombarded with bugs.

Long-winded explanation to say I live in the wrong climate, and have the wrong girl for that kind of bed lounging. I envy you that you were able to do this. Lucky man.
 
She is very bugophobic as well, but it's not as much of a problem in So Cal. I'm trying to get her to take a 60 day leave and try living here in Atlanta for the duration of this project. The bugs is definitely not in her "Pro" column. :(
 
Back
Top Bottom