• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New phono preamp from SCHIIT - the Skoll

I've been looking for a modest phono stage to use in my office system and the Skoll is on the top of my short list. Good specifications, favorable reviews, great functionality and at a modest price. I use three MM carts and two MC carts from time to time mostly depending on the music genre. All five are mounted on head shells and quick to switch so it will be nice to also be able to quickly change settings on the phono stage. I have a modified SL1200MKII so I won't be using the balanced input (unless there is a mod out there?) but I will take advantage of the balanced output with the rest of the system. I'm about ready to load my cart but thought I would ask for input on any options to consider? I really don't think there is any competition that checks all the same boxes? I have never owned any Schitt before...
 
I have a Skoll and love it, especially being able to monkey around with the settings via remote from my chair ! I'm going to get another one to replace a Parasound JC3 Jr in my office system as soon as the silver finish is available (3 months or so is what they are saying). The Skoll replaced a very expensive Parasound JC3+ phono amp because it is more adjustable and plain sounds better in my system.
I run mine like you plan to: RCA from table to Skoll, Balanced connections from the Skoll to the Freya+ preamp.
 
Last edited:
I have a Skoll and love it, especially being able to monkey around with the settings via remote from my chair ! I'm going to get another one to replace a Parasound JC3 Jr in my office system as soon as the silver finish is available (3 months or so is what they are saying). The Skoll replaced a very expensive Parasound JC3+ phono amp because it is more adjustable and plain sounds better in my system.
I run mine like you plan to: RCA from table to Skoll, Balanced connections from the Skoll to the Freya+ preamp.
Thanks and good to hear more positive support. I think I will go for it.
 
That remote setting from listing chair, is nice feature. I have non adjustable EAR834 MM clones. This Phono sounds interesting. Maybe later!
I like my Schiit stuff.
 
Got the Skoll today and I am really impressed by this little box! Mounted my VAS Nova signature MC cart on my highly modified SL1200Mk2. Set the Skoll to 60db gain (70db was a little too high) and resistance at 100 ohms (per VAS recommendation). I connected the Skoll using XLR balanced to my Topping A90D which makes for a great preamp (100% discrete, relay volume control etc) then RCA single ended to my Yamaha B-2 amplifier. I'm using a small pair of Soliloquy speakers in my office, granted this is a semi nearfield setup but I must say one of the finest vinyl experiences I have ever had. Very nice!!!
 
I have a Phillips 212 turntable with a Stanton 681ee cartridge into my Marantz 2250 B Would the Skoll be an upgrade in the phono stage and where would I connect it to my receiver i.e tape 2 or tape 2 or aux. Thanks
 
I have a Phillips 212 turntable with a Stanton 681ee cartridge into my Marantz 2250 B Would the Skoll be an upgrade in the phono stage and where would I connect it to my receiver i.e tape 2 or tape 2 or aux. Thanks
Should work with the Tape or Aux INPUT jacks, just not the phono. I love my little Skoll and am going to get another as soon as the silver top model comes out.
 
Nice that it is finally available, but too late for me... I got tired of waiting and two days ago I bought a Pro-ject Tube Box DS2 phono preamp (Schiit talker said the silver version was still 3-4 months out). If I don't like the DS2 I will send it back and get a silver Skoll.
 
Last edited:
A special delivery arrived from Texas this afternoon and I rushed home from work knowing that my fiancé was having a girl’s weekend down the shore in Cape May and that my neighbors would hate me well before she returned on Sunday. The Skoll arrived well packaged and setup was a breeze: I plugged in the single ended inputs and ground wire where they go, hooked it up to my Freya+ via the balanced outs and ins on each device, plugged in the wall wart, turned it on and it was ready to go.

IMG_9967.jpegIMG_9968.jpegIMG_9969.jpegIMG_9970.jpegIMG_9971.jpeg

My first spin was Hermanos Gutierrez’s Sonido Cosmico, a stark and lush, Dan Auerbach produced vinyl of southwest & spaghetti western inspired, guitar based post rock. At first blush, it’s an order of magnitude better than the Mani 2 rhat I had hooked up previously. Whereas the Mani was a bit bass shy, that was not the case with the Skoll: the low end was significantly more present, but utterly consistent and never boomy. Detail was improved, as was imaging and staging with a Denon DL-110 high-output moving coil cartridge. Next up is Steely Dan’s UHQR version of Aja and the Skoll really shines here.

The unit is handsome enough, as are most pieces of Schiit, but it’s not without quibbles: first of all, it’s just 1-1/2” high and looks a bit incongruent compared to the 2” high, Bifrost 2/64 and Freya + I have sitting next to it. It’s a niggling complaint, but I would have preferred it to be a little thicker, to make it matchy-matchy with the rest of my Schiit. That leads directly to my other quibble: the print on the front of the unit is exceedingly small and in a quirky enough font that makes it utterly inscrutable. Luckily, I didn’t need to adjust it at all from the factory settings, which are optimized for MM carts, but still, it makes futzing about with it challenging; a bigger case might have allowed bigger type and better readability. Still, my little whinges not withstanding, it’s a fantastic unit with excellent dynamics and ultra low noise. My vinyls have never sounded better!
image.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9966.jpeg
    IMG_9966.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 3
I put taller stick on rubber feet on mine- those 3/16" tall ones they use are a joke. The Skoll is a damn good phono preamp, especially with AT cartridges.
 
I did, as well, putting them on my Bifrost & Freya +, too
I have six each 5/8" tall stick on feet on my Freya+ and Loki Max, the Lokius in my office has the same 1/2" tall feet that I put on my Skoll. My Tyrs also have 5/8" screw on feet attached... the stupid little feet is the only thing I do not like about Schiit equipment. I can live with the power switches being on the back side, but not those tiny feet !
 
Well, what do you know showed up this afternoon... a silver Schiit Skoll ! My wife had heard me bitching about the silver edition appearing two days after I bought a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 (which I love with my 1200GR2) so she ordered one for me. The older black Skoll is now in the bedroom where she works from home on Thursdays with the old Marantz 6200 table playing through a VM740ML cart (I sense an ulterior motive here). The new Silver Skoll is in the office with the Rega P3/SRM-Tech Azure table and sounding heavenly. I also put 1/2 tall rubber feet on it (I hate Schiit's tiny 3/16" feet).

old Skoll 001.jpgsilver Skoll 004.jpgsilver Skoll 001.jpg8-03-2024 setup.jpg
 
Last edited:
Did some more listening yesterday and played around with the settings. Whereas with the Mani 2, I'd just used the same 47k resistive loading, 50p capacitive loading & 40dB boost as with my Ortofon 2M Blue, adjusting the dB boost to 60dB, which put the phono stage closer to unity gain for the Denon DL-110 cartridge. Again, the quiet parts were quieter, free of hiss, buzz or rumble and it gave the impression of better dynamic range than the Mani, or at least less compressed. Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden really shows off the dynamics of this phono pre.
IMG_9981.jpeg
IMG_9982.jpeg
IMG_9983.jpegIMG_9986.jpeg
 
I'm using the 50db setting with my AT 540 and 740 carts, sounds better than the 40 db setting since the 540/740 output is pretty low for MM carts at only 4mV. I put the 740ML on my old Marantz 6200 and with the addition of the Skoll (replaced an aging Parasound Z Phono) the old thing now sounds really really good- better than my stock Rega P3 50th anniversary edition.
 
Back
Top Bottom