• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Sabbath...not bad...

derekva

This ain't no picnic...
Subscriber
Ignore the annoying 'I Heart Radio' tags sprinkled throughout the 9-minute song. Geezer and Tony are back to their old tricks and Ozzy hasn't sounded this good in years. Too bad Bill Ward wasn't on board for the recording. I might have to buy this one.

"God is Dead?"

-D
 
Register to hide this ad
I will grab it on vinyl for sure, but man, it would have been picture perfect if Bill Ward had been on board, but with the guys being in their mid 60's, I take new Sabbath as I find it. God Is Dead is an ok track, hopefully much better to be found on the album though.
 
I'm not a HUGE Black Sabbath/Ozzie follower but Ozzie did a song on Slash's 2010 CD, "Crucify the Dead" and he sounded awesome - very well done I thought. Maybe he's hitting another peak ....

Thanks for posting this ....
 
I'm not a HUGE Black Sabbath/Ozzie follower but Ozzie did a song on Slash's 2010 CD, "Crucify the Dead" and he sounded awesome - very well done I thought. Maybe he's hitting another peak ....

Thanks for posting this ....

I really like the new track. Pre-ordered the Vinyl LP.

Ozzy has improved quite a bit over the past couple years. When he was a bumbling idiot on the Osborn's Family show he was on a crap ton of pharmaceuticals. He was in Boston on tour and was hospitalized for a good while. The doctors took him off most of the prescribed drugs and got him on a new regiment a few years ago. He came out of that a much more lucid person.
 
Huh?

I really like the new track. Pre-ordered the Vinyl LP.

Ozzy has improved quite a bit over the past couple years. When he was a bumbling idiot on the Osborn's Family show he was on a crap ton of pharmaceuticals. He was in Boston on tour and was hospitalized for a good while. The doctors took him off most of the prescribed drugs and got him on a new regiment a few years ago. He came out of that a much more lucid person.
Ozzy has been up to his old ways getting drunk and partying throughout this recording session. It's been all over the news media about the rumours that Sharon and him were splitting but Ozzy has now been sober for 2 months. Ozzy moved out of their house close to year and a half ago and went on a binge. Sharon has been understanding and took him back and most people will tell you this is why the new album is good,Ozzy had to go to a dark place with the band for this one. Most people that have heard it say it doesn't break new ground,sounds alot like early sabbath in fact ripping off their own riffs but that it's like an old sweater you love cause it feels so right and has memories. Yeah the new album will fit right in to your collection.
 
Last edited:
Sabbath is one of my top bands, I have all of their output through all their iterations, but I also find most of the post-Ozzy stuff just decent at best (and there are a few poor Sabbath albums with Ozzy as well), with the exception of the Dio albums.

I'm also totally underwhelmed by their new song which I have listened to several times. Hopefully it will grow on me and/or hopefully the rest of the album is better. It's not bad, but it would be nice if it were much better imo.

I think the recent Heaven & Hell album with Dio is solid, the best Sabbath in any iteration since Mob Rules. Dehumanizer with Dio is another highlight.

Btw, could the artwork for the single be anymore stupid? :D Nietzsche eating purple spaghetti? What in the hell...? Lol.
 
I'm not a HUGE Black Sabbath/Ozzie follower but Ozzie did a song on Slash's 2010 CD, "Crucify the Dead" and he sounded awesome - very well done I thought. Maybe he's hitting another peak ....

Thanks for posting this ....

Last summer at Lollapalooza, I was about 20 rows from the stage for Sabbath's performance. First couple of songs Ozzy was all over the place. It made for some painful listening. Midway through the third or fourth song he motioned to someone in the wings to go up (or down, I don't remember which), and just like that he was right on key. Auto-tune can be a wonderful thing.
Despite all that, they were awesome.
 
Ozzy has been up to his old ways getting drunk and partying throughout this recording session. It's been all over the news media about the rumours that Sharon and him were splitting but Ozzy has now been sober for 2 months. Ozzy moved out of their house close to year and a half ago and went on a binge. Sharon has been understanding and took him back and most people will tell you this is why the new album is good,Ozzy had to go to a dark place with the band for this one. Most people that have heard it say it doesn't break new ground,sounds alot like early sabbath in fact ripping off their own riffs but that it's like an old sweater you love cause it feels so right and has memories. Yeah the new album will fit right in to your collection.

Missed that whole saga, I haven't really been paying attention to entertainment news these days. Shame really. I'm not really looking for ground breaking material from a band like Sabbath. If the album slots in nicely with their first few, I'll be a happy guy.

Sometimes a comeback can be disappointing. Alice In Chains is still great live but their album "Black Gives Way To Blue" was not good. They wrote a couple great riffs and repeated them over and over. It felt mailed in, especially considering how good Jerry's solo work was.
 
Last summer at Lollapalooza, I was about 20 rows from the stage for Sabbath's performance. First couple of songs Ozzy was all over the place. It made for some painful listening. Midway through the third or fourth song he motioned to someone in the wings to go up (or down, I don't remember which), and just like that he was right on key. Auto-tune can be a wonderful thing.
Despite all that, they were awesome.

I saw them a couple times on the OzzFest tours. I don't think I've ever seen a band that enjoyed themselves so much on stage. Maybe they were just laughing at Ozzy the whole show but everyone seemed to be having a blast. They were all 10 years younger then...
 
I saw them a couple times on the OzzFest tours. I don't think I've ever seen a band that enjoyed themselves so much on stage. Maybe they were just laughing at Ozzy the whole show but everyone seemed to be having a blast. They were all 10 years younger then...

I saw them at the last Ozzfest they did, when Iron Maiden played just before them. Ozzy got a sore throat and cut short the set by about half. Very disappointed that day.
Tony Iommi has been brilliant every time I've seen them.
 
I saw them at the last Ozzfest they did, when Iron Maiden played just before them. Ozzy got a sore throat and cut short the set by about half. Very disappointed that day.
Tony Iommi has been brilliant every time I've seen them.

Jealous because I haven't seen Maiden since the 7th Son tour.
 
I saw them at the last Ozzfest they did, when Iron Maiden played just before them. Ozzy got a sore throat and cut short the set by about half. Very disappointed that day.
Tony Iommi has been brilliant every time I've seen them.

I saw that Ozzfest - I was at the very last show where Maiden played. (They were kicked off the tour for talking **** about Sharon and Ozzy on stage.) It was a terrible show. Sabbath would play a few bars and then if Ozzy started singing they would continue, otherwise they'd go to another song. And Ozzy forgot the words. Terrible show. I decided I didn't want to see Ozzy/Sabbath anymore. I've seen them many times before and the other shows were good.

I'm about halfway through the God is Dead song and all I can say is...meh. It defintiely sounds Sabbathy but it doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Heaven and Hell was much better, IMO. RIP Dio.
 
I'm a huge "old" 'Sabbath fan (at least through Mob Rules). I hope this new album is solid. I caught a live clip of them from a performance a couple of weeks ago...Ozzy sounded terrible and was completely flat. I'm sure I'll get the album but not so sure about catching them live.
 
To me, the times, events, collective mood, current musical atmosphere all influence a band and their music. I prefer to listen to and see performances of musicians in real time. I'm sure there are exceptions to everthing, but for the most part the aged rock musicians are hollow shells of themselves when they originally played. They will never have the drive, the exhuberance, the skill, the voice, the energy, the "hey **** it" attitude they once had.

Plus there are great contemporary bands now making great music who do have all those qualities. I love to crank the first Sabbath record, its innovative, energetic and fresh. But it is what it is. People get older, they get mortgages and kids. They'll never be those 20-year olds again.
 
Back
Top Bottom