• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Stylus for noisy Marantz 6150 TT

greenflash

Active Member
Hi guys, a total newbie here with TT stuff and specially stylii as I've never replaced one. My Marantz 6150 came with an Audio Technica stylus and it might need replacement.

Yesterday I found out that the record I was playing sounded quite low, and when I tried to turn up the volume a noise (feedback? intense) was heard on both speakers. When I switched over to CD playing, the noise dissapeared.

So, my bet is that the stylus need replacing; it looks flatter (?) than the others I have, I feel it might be not in good shape. In that case which is a good *budget* replacement for this? Go for another Audio Technica?

Thanks!!

EDIT: I just discovered that the current cartridge is AT12XE. Is it any good?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I've had that problem too. I had to relocate my turntable in relation to where the speakers were. The turntable was too close to the speakers and I was getting rumble when the volume was turned up.

Mark
 
I've had that problem too. I had to relocate my turntable in relation to where the speakers were. The turntable was too close to the speakers and I was getting rumble when the volume was turned up.

Mark

Mark you're a genius (and a moneysaver too)! That was it, apparently. See I'm using the cabinet in my profile photo (actually that's the marantz), but in the photo the TT is in the middle of the table, now I did move it it all the way to the right (Well I thought in the middle it was better!) and for now at least, no rumble! What has changed, though, is that I've just bought a couple of Titans V2 (I was using Infinity SM85 previously), which are smaller boxes, maybe that's related?

Anyway, thanks a lot!!

Charly
 
You're welcome, glad I could help!!!
Try putting the Infinities back and see if you get the rumble again. I know with different speakers I have some rumble and some didn't.
Mark
 
I couldn't put the infinities back yet (been unusually busy lol) but I moved over the TT a little with the Titans and the rumble again, and then back and all normal, so it seems to be a matter of placement, definitely!
 
Back
Top Bottom