• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Stylus or New Cart?

This was a big topic of discussion at QuadraphonicQuad at the time (immediately following the discontinuation of the AT440MLb and introduction of the newer carts) and this wasn't common knowledge. In fact this is the first I've heard of it...
What do you mean? My post was the first time you've heard of it that the vm540ml stylus could be fitted on a 440 body?
That is pretty much common knowledge since 2017 or so.

regarding that the price went up (with about $50-70 or so) with the vm540ml compared to the 440ml...sure nobody likes that but that is how things generally go. Part of life.
 
What do you mean? My post was the first time you've heard of it that the vm540ml stylus could be fitted on a 440 body?
That is pretty much common knowledge since 2017 or so.

regarding that the price went up (with about $50-70 or so) with the vm540ml compared to the 440ml...sure nobody likes that but that is how things generally go. Part of life.

It clearly is NOT "common" knowledge, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. In any case, the VMN40ML costs almost as much as the MSRP of the entire 440MLb cartridge, when it was available... I'd be writing to AT to confirm suitability (as their web site only recommends it for the VM540ML and VM740ML) before spending over $200 on a stylus.
 
Ok, the aspect of 'common' might be an individual aspect (I bet my neighbour also doesn't know it), but if you search on VE, there are loads of posts from 2017 where people suggest to put the 540ml stylus on their 440 bodies.
Here is even a post nov 2017 where someone writes that AT oficially recommends the 540ml stylus as a direct replacement for the 440.
So at least AT recommended it over 6 years ago, which in my book makes it common knowledge for a long time now.
You might not have know it, which just means you've missed that bit of information. But loads of others picked up on it.

And yes, the 540ml is more expensive than the 440ml was in his days. that's the way it goes.
I bought my at-95e also once for €24,50. It's successor AT-VM95e is also twice as expensive. I got over that.
Deal with it. That's life.
I'd like to have '50's prices back too, just not the 50's wages if you know what I mean :).
That said, the 540ml is still by FAR the cheapest cartridge that has both an ML stylus and a tapered cantilever.
So you're still getting a really good deal considering the price and performance this cartridge offers.
With other brands, you pay double for something similar/equivalent.
 
Last edited:
Allrightey then. I have placed an order with Thakker for the AT-VM95ML. ~ $131.63 including shipping. Thakker had the best price by far.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations. I look forward to getting my SL-1300 spinning.

I will report back once I have a chance, which will be after I take the SL-1300 to my tech for a servicing.
 
Last edited:
Sure is nice having access to an excellent audio tech. I took my SL-1300 to him today at 11:00 AM - by 6:00 PM he was completely finished with the job. He had a bit of difficulty with the cart (AT-VM95ML) installation because it did not fit the headshell quite right - something about a lack of adjustment - but he was able to get it installed. I can always replace the headshell at some point in the future, but that is a whole new issue and a new thread I'll need advice on.

He completely cleaned and re-lubricated the unit, tested all capacitors (all tested good), soldered any joints that needed attention, set the tracking force to 2g, protractor checked good, removed the original, low-quality, internally wired RCA cables and ground wire and drilled and installed new gold jacks on the back panel, made a new ground wire, etc.

Now, I need to drive out and pick it up so I can give it a good testing. I hope to pick it up sometime this week. I'm looking forward to giving it a spin. I'll report back once I have a chance to give it a listen.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice.
 

Attachments

  • 12910.jpeg
    12910.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 12945 (1).jpeg
    12945 (1).jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 12952 (1).jpeg
    12952 (1).jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The sound quality is outstanding:
mr_burns_groening.png


Excellent!
 
Back
Top Bottom