• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New to me 222 - the venerable triple deuce

I do like those knobs but TBQH I think of this particular amp, and the 555, as the plain siblings of the pretty 555a/888 and the decidedly hideous house-trim meets industrial 777/999.

Give that the switches are all that utilitarian bakelite-esque plastic, it's only fitting the knobs should be as well. I ended up picking option#3 although I wish I'd ordered these instead:

View attachment 3699652

I like that one too, as the best familial match to the switches and full Sansui Black commitment - "murdered out" as the hot-rod community would say. You should follow your gut and order them and save those other ones for another project.
Screenshot 2026-02-14 at 1.04.03 PM.png

What's your plan for cover paint? Color? Sansui Plum would look killer on that little machine.
Screenshot 2026-02-14 at 1.01.31 PM.png

Edit: Would be cool to color match the white maker on the knob face to the cover color plum if you go that route.
 
Last edited:
I like that one too, as the best familial match to the switches and full Sansui Black commitment - "murdered out" as the hot-rod community would say. You should follow your gut and order them and save those other ones for another project.
View attachment 3699781

What's your plan for cover paint? Color? Sansui Plum would look killer on that little machine.
View attachment 3699782

Edit: Would be cool to color match the white maker on the nob face to the cover color plum if you go that route.
Right on, I actually already went ahead and ordered the second set!

I totally thought about that deep cherry color, OR going back to a cream color with cream knobs, but as you surmised, this is gonna be an all black affair.
 
Took the front end apart. Never actually had trouble putting an amp back together but I always get a little nervous when I see all them wires.

20260215_174635.jpg

Waiting on the Mouser order but redid the speaker terminals.

20260215_201230.jpg20260215_201253.jpg


(Staggered because the last time I did this I found that the terminal caps would not fit side by side and I had to saw the plastic carapace off!)
 
One thing that surprises me about the 222 is the fact it uses TO-3 outputs, which is probably overkill in this output power class. I wonder if it is just old enough that there weren't many capable TO-220 or TO-39 transistors to choose from when designing it. Thinking about it now, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Sansui amp or receiver with TO-39 finals, though I have worked on a few Pioneer/Allied sub 30WPC units that did. The AU-101 and 210 receiver have TO-220 output devices, but even the modest 350 receiver has TO-3's.
 
Does that pertain to heatsinking capacity?


I run my other 222 with NHT SuperOnes and the woofers of the biampable Energy RC-10s in series parallel and the thing never gets warm. Then again I'm probably only using the first couple watts.
 
Last edited:
Somewhat, but more just a matter of TO-3 typically being heavier duty, higher power devices due to their larger package, and being all metal, verses mostly plastic for TO-220. TO-39 just looks like a scaled down version of a TO-3, about 60% of the size, but still all metal. Now, anything that used a TO-39 decide (long since obsolete) would get a TO-220 of similar electrical specs fitted as a replacement. What's the serial/manufacture year of this 222?
 
20260216_144321.jpg


Scuffed the old paint with maroon scotchbrite, washed with TSP, blew off excess with compressor and left on the oil heater to dry. Initially I planned to strip completely but we're having some decidedly indoor weather and I don't want to deal with using industrial strength stripper.

Will try using a supposedly more durable product meant for bicycle frames:

 
Last edited:
Wiped down the face with WD40, still a few stubborn spots and also paint worn off something else in contact with the faceplate. I keep a glass fiber brush for this. It'll get everything off a surface without ruining anything else. Never had it take engraved paint off and only once did I start seeing screen printed letters come off on a Luxman.

Example (same mark in different light):
20260216_145533.jpg20260216_145544.jpg



Rub off with brush and wipe off broken fiber particles:

20260216_145649.jpg20260216_145707.jpg


End result. Usually I'm not so precious but since I'm waiting on parts in the mail, what the hell...


20260216_151156.jpg
 
I was cleaning the faceplate on my AU505, it had similar spotting. Nothing removed them until I tried these pads. Worked really well. FYI while we are on the subject.

Magic eraser is great around the house. I believe it's more abrasive so may take screen printing off easier if you're not careful..


Why does this freak me out so much...
20260216_160456.jpg
 
Last edited:
Painting time. This stuff goes on thick without runs!

View attachment 3703163

I looked into your paint last week - bike paint - claims only one coat needed - and must be durable. You must be a cyclist, to know about this product?

This is a black paint I've wanted to try. Close to Vantablack.
culturehustle.com/products/black-4-0?srsltid=AfmBOoqStysW4N7j06xZ1aesuTPebdjLlPAQJ4w_KFHLzEykGbFCWBZr
 
Back
Top Bottom