• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New to me, JBL 4430s ...a few questions

Ed Zeppeli

Active Member
Hi,

I just got a pair after a four month hunt and am pretty darn happy with them...

They're older models, apparently and have been worked on a little as well.

1779736_10151846359791076_1784607521_n.jpg


1779677_10151846359566076_1511965729_n.jpg


As you can see, these are not the original drivers. Judging by the glue on the dustcap they've been worked on as well but I have no idea if they were re-done as 2235s (w/ mass ring) or not.

Also...

1497290_10151846359686076_1666593770_n.jpg


So I can guess that these were quite possibly from the first few years of the series in the early 80's.

The diaphragms look decent but I'm not sure if they're original aluminum or titanium replacements.

1654432_10151846376656076_1667457270_n.jpg


Anyway, I had a chance to finally mess around a bit and do some maintenance and contact cleaning. I discovered that the mid-level l-pads are basically shot on both speakers.

Without removing the foilcal and pulling them, can anyone suggest proper replacements that I can order up? I'd like to do all four at once and wonder if there is a difference between the highs and mids and if the taper is different for either.

Thanks a bunch.

Here's how they sit today...

1970365_10151884633501076_921932221_n.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Ed, I can't answer you questions, but I know there are some guys here who have worked on these. Maybe they'll see it and help you out.
 
Whats the story on your find, did you snag them on the Island or have to make a trip
on the ferry?

Oh and congrats on finding your JBL's.
 
Someone in Coquitlam responded to my wanted ad just as I was docking in Horseshoe Bay to head to Alberta.

The timing couldn't have been better and we managed to meet up right away!
 
Calling Zonker92 . . . He knows his 4430's and will see this thread shortly.

:D Bob knows ... I was busy all yesterday on yet another project. Building a workbench this time. Now I'm sore and recuperating happily.

Looks like a minty pair, but you've managed to ask three questions I can't answer offhand. As for the mass ring issue, I wonder if there's a way to remove the rear decal and foam (or gunk now) and shine a light in there? Maybe a plastic dental mirror? Sounds doubtful. Maybe there's some audio test you could do? Not sure but someone here or on LH may know.

As for the diaphragm, that should be AL if it's original. I think the Tis had a different pattern from the ALs, stamped in the surround. That one looks like the Ti diamond pattern but I'm not sure. You might Google for photos.

As for the dirty or worn out control, IIRC one control is an L pad and the other is a rheostat; not sure which is which. The rheostat is NLA and Zilch had some ideas for replacements (using an L pad I think) in his Quick and Dirty 4430 thread on LH. Maybe you can access it through the woofer hole?

Keep us updated! :D
 
Last edited:
Yes thanks Zonker92. From cruising around LH forums I gleaned some info but I'll give the quick and dirty thread another look. Some members there seemed to think that even if it is a 2234 (without mass ring) that the speakers should still be quite good. Since I'm using them with a subwoofer I'm not too concerned at the moment.

1499666_10151786978996076_614054278_n.jpg


1499488_10151786979336076_1061072500_n.jpg


:banana:



It's my understanding that the aluminum diaphragms had a tangential surround and briefly went to diamond in an effort to raise the frequency response. These surrounds eventually failed however due to the highly concentrated fatigue of the diamond pattern. Soon after as a compromise JBL went with titanium.

I'll have a poke around and see what I can find.

Best Regards,

Warren
 
Neato sub!

I'm seriously considering (for fun) trying the $80 PE Radian AL diaphragms with Mylar surrounds; I like that idea.
 
I have a 2420 with an aluminum diamond pattern diaphragm in my center channel and it works fine. I have the older alumimum tangential diaphragms on the L/R 2420s and prefer these for their smoother bottom end in the crossover region and better warmth.

I have the Ti 2425s in my front and rear surrounds, and had them in my 4430s, and prefer the sound of the aluminum. To me, the pic looks Ti from the darker color.
 
I have a 2420 with an aluminum diamond pattern diaphragm in my center channel and it works fine. I have the older alumimum tangential diaphragms on the L/R 2420s and prefer these for their smoother bottom end in the crossover region and better warmth.

I have the Ti 2425s in my front and rear surrounds, and had them in my 4430s, and prefer the sound of the aluminum. To me, the pic looks Ti from the darker color.

I've been using the 2425 since 1985. They sound great to my ears. Lively and very realistic. Had a neighbor who had AL 175DLH. The sound was muted compared to the 2425.
YMMV.
 
I've been using the 2425 since 1985. They sound great to my ears. Lively and very realistic. Had a neighbor who had AL 175DLH. The sound was muted compared to the 2425.
YMMV.

The 175 needs the 077/2405 tweeter as it doesn't extend as high, and will sound muted, but it is smoother and fuller down around 700-800 Hz in the critical crossover region.

To my ear, and many others, the Ti is harsher than the Al at its break-up point and used in a 2-way, you do reach that point.
 
The 175 needs the 077/2405 tweeter as it doesn't extend as high, and will sound muted, but it is smoother and fuller down around 700-800 Hz in the critical crossover region.

To my ear, and many others, the Ti is harsher than the Al at its break-up point and used in a 2-way, you do reach that point.

2425J with 3110A (800 Hz cross over.) My neighbor had the S1 system (1.5K CO).
Interesting that JBL switched from the AL 2421 to the 2425/6 in later 4430 & 4435 Monitors.

Todd,
You heard a difference. That's more meaningful than reading a JBL Cut Sheet. Never heard the 2421 0r 2420 to compare to the 2425. Just saying the 2425 on it's own sounds great to me for the past 29 years.
 
Last edited:
2425J with 3110A (800 Hz cross over.) My neighbor had the S1 system (1.5K CO).
Interesting that JBL switched from the AL 2421 to the 2425/6 in later 4430 & 4435 Monitors.

I think it was a business decision. Something about the price of Cobalt at the time. Also, comparing the size of the 2421 vs. 2425/6 there must have been reasonable weight savings too.
 
Back
Top Bottom