• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New to Tubes - Looking for Amp to Start With

goldleaf

Super Member
Hi

I have been monitoring this sub forum for a while now. The collective experience you all have in tubes and circuit design is amazing. I am new to tubes, but not new to audio. Started with solid state in 1980 and have had a succession of systems culminating in 4 modest but satisfying systems.

Recently I bought a Qinpu A-3 tube hybrid amp with 8 watts and 6N5 tubes. It has been eye opening and now I would like to progress to a full tube design. My budget is 1000 dollars for a fully outfitted amp with a reasonable selection of NOS tubes and an efficient set of speakers.

My listening space is a 15 by 13 home office/listening room. I mostly want to listen to jazz and classical on this system at moderate levels. This article and many comments I have read here in this forum seem to recommend SET and modest amps with the right speakers. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/1099/setamplifiers.htm

In several posts I read Prima Luna and Cayin are good but they are out of my price range. I am not totally useless with a soldering iron but I am intimated by trying to take on a project of this magnitude. Shall I begin with a used vintage amp? Seems that some of the old designs have been bettered by more modern self-biasing amps of recent make but it is very confusing with so many models seemingly coming out daily.

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
How bout a Dynaco ST70 35WPC EL34 tube amp, used you restore, or build a new kit?
I drive Klipsch Fotre' speakers with mine and couldn't be happier.
 
I was wondering about bartertown. Seems like many people here and in other forums use audiogon, craigslist and fleabay. I will subscribe (it's time anyway) and give that a shot.

One thing that has been bothering me, is whether to choose a push-pull design or an SET. A lot of conflicting opinions on the posts in AK and elsewhere in the web point to it being a matter of taste. I guess I don't really need a powerful amp for what I intend to do, so I care more about detail and musicality.

Should I worry about the type of tube I start with? Seems a lot of folks like the 45 and 2A3 but that EL34 are cheaper to run long term. Should I care?

edit: Done. I am subscribed! So what should I be looking for in bartertown?
 
Last edited:
Don't forget about 6BQ5/EL84/7189 based amps, very sweet sounding amps available.

45 and 2A3 amps are typically pretty high end in the tube world. You need some very efficient speakers with them though.
 
Don't forget about 6BQ5/EL84/7189 based amps, very sweet sounding amps available.

45 and 2A3 amps are typically pretty high end in the tube world. You need some very efficient speakers with them though.

I will keep those in mind. It appears that many fans of tube amps start out with something affordable but quickly progress to something else. In particular I noticed people getting EL34 and then moving on because though the mid-frequencies are nice, the top and bottom end are not as nice as they want. Not having heard any systems outside my humble hybrid, I have no idea.

By the way, my buddies are all solid state folks, save for one that has an EICO hf-87 that he pairs with old JBL studio monitors. I could detect a little bit of hum that was annoying but have nothing else to compare it to.

As far as speakers, small and efficient is fine. I would even consider something like the Madison horn kit using Fostex full range speakers or something like that if you all think it is the right place to start. A couple of posts mentioned the Klipsch Forte II's but they go for about 600 used so they seem a little out of range.

If forced to choose, I'd pick a good amp and ok speakers and update the speakers a little later.
 
SET vs PP

The choice of SET or PP design depends upon the efficiency of the speakers and sonics that suit your needs. SET amps are usually 3-8 watts out with affordable in your price range almost ruling out all SET amps. SE (single-ended) opens up some options such as a 6BQ5 that provides 3-4 watts out.

PP has many more options in your budget. And watts out is usually 12 to 50 watts out. Higher power can drive lower efficiency speakers.

I prefer the SE sonics as I hear distortion easily and SE sounds more natural to me. Your ears may be different and may not hear the PP amp distortion I hear. Distortion is even and odd order. My ears prefer even order that is more prevalent in SE. Some PP amps I sold were well received by others that I lost interest in the PP sonics myself for long listening periods.
 
Last edited:
If forced to choose, I'd pick a good amp and ok speakers and update the speakers a little later.

I'd do just the opposite. Good quality speakers would be my first priority. Small, good bass and efficient don't typically go together. You can get 2 of the 3, but not all in the same package.
 
PP has many more options in your budget. And watts out is usually 12 to 50 watts out. Higher power can drive lower efficiency speakers.

I prefer the SE sonics as I hear distortion easily and SE sounds more natural to me. Your ears may be different and may not hear the PP amp distortion I hear. Distortion is even and odd order. My ears prefer even order that is more prevelent in SE. Some PP amps I sold where well received & I lost interest in the PP sonics myself for long listening periods.

Can't claim to have "golden ears" in any way, shape or form, but decades of listening have resulted in noticing defects pretty quickly. Since I can already play satisfying levels of rock music or an 1812 overture using conventional cone speakers or electrostats, loudness is not an issue.

For this setup, I am guessing SE sonics is what I really want: detail and freedom from hum. Now, if that is available in a PP design, hum-free, then I'd like to know where one signs up :yes:
 
I'd do just the opposite. Good quality speakers would be my first priority. Small, good bass and efficient don't typically go together. You can get 2 of the 3, but not all in the same package.

I hear you. My current speaker stable consists of the following:

ADS L810 - conventional cone speakers (nice and tight, medium efficiency)
Martin Logan Clarity electrostats - very inefficient or at least hard to drive
DCM TF350 - fairly efficient, what I use with the 8 watt hybrid amp now they are ok sound quality wise, but nothing to write home about
Canton GL300 mini monitors - medium efficiency, almost no bass but accurate and melodious. Currently used in BR with a Lepai 2020A
Pioneer SP21 - very inefficient but very accurate, used in computer desk for near field with Lepai 2020A or 150wpc silicon amp

Also have some Polk mini monitors for surround sound duty

So, investing in a pair of speakers going for quality, not loudness, is A-ok.

I don't have any kits, nor have I ever owned one. I take it from you all's experience they are an ok route to take other than cosmetics?
 
Last edited:
I would suggest a restored Fisher tube reciever, 500C for a combined unit that won't dissapoint. Good luck with whatever you chose!
 
If God Said!

DanO, you are being greedy! From now on you only get to use one type of output tube in your stereos. That being the case, I would have to go with 6BQ5s. Just my choice. I would, however, ask God if and when I get into heaven, can I play around with a couple other types of tubes there as kinda a reward ya know for being good and all? :D





Don't forget about 6BQ5/EL84/7189 based amps, very sweet sounding amps available.

45 and 2A3 amps are typically pretty high end in the tube world. You need some very efficient speakers with them though.
 
Knowing how to solder is about all the experience you need to build a Bottlehead kit. The step-by-step instructions that come with them are excellent.
 
There is a nice restored Eico ST-40 for sale in BT currently. That might be just the ticket. There are a few others. I seem to recall a Fisher 7189 amp, a re-worked Zenith of some flavor that runs 6BQ5's, and probably a number of other things that just aren't springing to mind right this second. Plenty of good buys to be had under the $500 mark.
 
Out of curiosity, what speakers would you pair with that amp BmWr75?

gadget73, after my experience being sensitive to hum, the EICO makes me doubt. Is it endemic to EICO or was my buddie's amp in need of a tune up? I think his tubes were getting old but he could not hear the difference. We all hear differently...
 
Hum-free

Can't claim to have "golden ears" in any way, shape or form, but decades of listening have resulted in noticing defects pretty quickly. Since I can already play satisfying levels of rock music or an 1812 overture using conventional cone speakers or electrostats, loudness is not an issue.

For this setup, I am guessing SE sonics is what I really want: detail and freedom from hum. Now, if that is available in a PP design, hum-free, then I'd like to know where one signs up :yes:

Hum is not a PP issue. In fact PP by design helps cancel hum. Hum issues are usually bad filter capacitors, a poor ground or even a bad tube.
 
Back
Top Bottom