• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New to Tubes - Looking for Amp to Start With

As others have suggested, the best course for you would prolly be to find the best speakers for your living space that are also available in your local area, and then pick an amp to match the speakers. You'll prolly want to put half of your budget towards the speakers, and the remainder towards an integrated amp, tube receiver, or amp and pre.
 
That's always good advice Analog, but as you can see from the speaker inventory, speakers are plentiful already. This would be a "special" system. Good advice though, and I often give it out myself.
 
Personally, I'd look for a set of Klipsch Fortes/Choruses/Cornwalls in the $500 or less range. Some might poo poo on finding these speakers at these prices or less, but I've founf a pair of each at $500 or less. OK so the CWII's I bought were $525. Close enuff....:yes:

Out of your list, I would think the ADS 810s would be the best choice if you bought an amp first. You'd prolly need a PP design to be able to drive them though
 
Actually, I have a small speaker that produces a remarkable amount of bass. It's the Klipsch KG-1.5. I've never heard a speaker that small put out as much bass. I don't know how they did it.
 
Thanks folks.

Seems some of you are intent on bringing me to the dark side of diy audio mania. Ah, but I may be a willing victim.

Regardless, the gist of what I am hearing is that maybe I need to reconsider my budget to include the right kind of speakers up front. That sweet Bottlehead kit plus a pair of Klipsch vintage speakers maybe for 1500? Is that a more realistic goal?

Since I have plenty of enjoyment in the current systems waiting a few more months to get the money for this is acceptable. Better than rushing in and getting something that does not meet the goals of why I am getting the system in the first place.

Do any of you experienced hands pair your low power tube amps with DIY speakers like the Madison horns here http://www.madisound.com/kits/full-range-kits.php or the Burro (http://www.wildburroaudio.com/speakers.php) open baffle setup with an active subwoofer? I am not a "purist" in that I don't require my entire system to be tube-based. A solution that included a good full range speaker and a solid state powered quality subwoofer for frequencies below 80 hz is acceptable.

Have any of you combined a sweet low power SE or PP low power amp driving a horn with a newer class-D amp driving an H-frame subwoofer?

Seems like a reasonable goal to work towards and still stay below $3,000 when all is said and done, maybe spread over a couple of years to ease the pain.
 
I guess I'm the cheapie around here. Running an 1960-era 6V6/12AX7 integrated making maybe 10 wpc (that someone gave me years ago and I recently recapped) through bookshelf speakers rated 84 db. Yet somehow I'm happy with it, even amazed sometimes. If I'm playing it at mid-volume, I can hear it nicely from outside, including detail.

I notice a lot of EL34 family amps (6L6, KT-**) being resold, not as many 6V6 or EL84 or 45 or 2A3. Granted that the latter aren't best sellers to begin with.

In my heretical unwashed opinion the 6V6 has an open musical sound that has emotional involvement and doesn't bring fatigue. Cal Tjader's vibes sound like they're hanging in the middle of the room.

You've got a boffo collection of speaks, buy something used (Scott, HK, Fisher, etc) and learn by listening. It's not like it'll be dead silent, just quieter, and you might be surprised at how well it works with lower numbers.

If you get that glissando up your spine for not much $$$, that's a even better feeling.
 
The H frame/ob is quite common. Poultrygeist has has done a few. You might shoot him a pm.

MK
 
I'd post a "WTB" thread in Barter Town, and ask for inexpensive SE amps, maybe with a budget of $300 or less. You should get a myriad of offers, including a number of 6BQ5 SE amps, which would be a great place to start due to a combination of great sound and huge number of tube choices to roll through the amp.

I'd then look for a tube preamp, maybe a Dynaco PAs-2/3/3x in the $200-250 range, unrestored preferably, since it would be cheaper, and restoring these is a piece of cake as long as you know which end of a soldering iron to hold.

This combination should get you started, and while your learning some of the ins and outs of tubes, you can be shopping around for a set of high efficiency speakers that float your boat
 
If I were in your shoes I would consider the following....

Tekton Design M-Lore's. at 95db/1w/1m they are tube friendly and will give you some options. I have their big brothers the Lore which I use with some 8.5wpc 300B tube amps. They are great speakers.

http://tektondesign.com/lore-m.html

For power I would take advantage of one of the deals from Grant Fidelity right now...
The Psvane TS66 EL34 integrated. I have a Shuguang S8MK which is made in the same factory loaded up with Psvane Black Bottle tubes and it sounds fantastic.

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/FACTORY-CLEARANCE-Psvane-TS66-Integrated-Tube-Amplifier.html

It would stretch your budget just a bit, but this would give you hassle free new gear, and its going to reward you with each upgrade down the road such as cables and tubes etc...

My 2-cents.

- Woody
 
The H frame/ob is quite common. Poultrygeist has has done a few. You might shoot him a pm.

MK

Thanks, I will. Been debating doing something more up to date vs getting Klipsch Forte II's. I also think that having movable subs (2) can help with room modes. I don't have any worries about the look or wife acceptance factor.
 
Lots of good advice given here. I jumped in with both feet this week and I'm still not sure what I have done.
We are lucky to live at a time when there are so many options to fit so many personal tastes.
 
Does anybody have a design, or can you buy a design to make and DIY a tube amp. That one was kind of expensive at $750, probably a great amp, but looking to tinker myself. And I am sure I could google it, but would much prefer feedback from here.
 
Last edited:
hi guys, im on the same boat with the OP. I have been looking to get to tubes. With my current setup: sota comet S300, Sansui Au999, Klipsch Heresy I's. ..I would want to move to tubes or Add a tube integrated and a phono pre..

looks like a good deal at Grant Fidelity!!, im waiting for the xmas budget increase a bit...
 
Awesome advice.

Maybe we should start a photo thread of people's set amps and what speakers they have them paired with. A sort of "low power tube nerd" post :D
 
Back
Top Bottom