• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New W&F Analyzer + Polar Plots

Not surprised I have 21F and 51F. Too bad the tone arms are not as good.. flimsy and with obvious resonances, at least mine,,when I compare with my SME V.
 
Because you can't use "simple" theory, and we're not applying the models in a predictive manner. My existing calculator isn't to predict problems, it's to provide a quick reference for the nature of frequency components. The real question is what inputs are required for reasonable results, and if those are easily obtained.
 
It is probably doable, but there are many variables. Just had an AI chat about creep and belt walking on convex pulleys.

"Belt walking happens because of a combination of:
  • crowned pulley geometry
  • tiny alignment errors
  • elastic creep
  • surface friction variations
  • belt thickness irregularities

When Belt Walking Becomes a Problem​

It can indicate an issue if:
  • the belt climbs off the pulley
  • it moves rapidly
  • it always drifts to one edge
Possible causes:
  • worn belt
  • pulley contamination
  • misaligned motor mount
  • belt too tight"
 
Belt /motor problems can be quite visible as noise peaks between 100 and 200hz in a 1000hz or 3000hz plot, I see difference in the spectrum depending on belt conditions and or type. Spinning platter without belt can be revealing. Visually if the belt looks blurry I know it is vibrating too much and time for some talcum



I do not understand what I did not think of this belt rest before…good belts are hard to get

IMG_0310.jpeg





1774939595677.png
 
Last edited:
well with proper alignment and care of belt the issues can be solved, Like this (not flat due to bass RIAA EQ)
index.php
 
Thanks guys you made me reminder why I don't like belt drive turntables, and now I'm considering to sell the last belt drive I own, a Pioneer PL-41A.

Damn stretchy, bouncy, resonant, non-uniform, twitchy, flimsy belts!
 
Thanks guys you made me reminder why I don't like belt drive turntables, and now I'm considering to sell the last belt drive I own, a Pioneer PL-41A.

Damn stretchy, bouncy, resonant, non-uniform, twitchy, flimsy belts!
Have you checked how it performs? Although test records seems to be all over the place, it does not hurt to test one or two with a W&F track. E.g. the AP test record.
 
The Linn Thakker belt showed to be quite a disappointment. The original Linn neoprene belt seems to be the only alternative...

 
Back
Top Bottom