• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Newbie question about the JBL l65a air port and tube amp suggestion.

artemyst

New Member
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to vintage audio systems. I've been reading a lot of JBL threads, and the L65 caught my attention with all the good reviews. Recently, a pair of L65A was put up for sale in my location. They were imported from Japan and are in decent condition. However, one thing seems off. I've read that every speaker with the Jubal tag will have the air port at the top part of the speaker. This speaker has the Jubal tag, not the model L65 tag, but with the air port at the bottom. Is this normal, or has the tag been replaced? (I've attached some photos of the speaker).

I also came across the Luxman MQ60, which is a good-looking tube amp. Has anyone here paired them before? Would it be a good match?

Thank you in advance :)
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20240206_192701_LINE.jpg
    Screenshot_20240206_192701_LINE.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20240206_192622_LINE.jpg
    Screenshot_20240206_192622_LINE.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 31
Register to hide this ad
Unusual.
Yes, possible the Foilcal was replaced. One common reason why was perhaps to replace-repair bad L-Pads.

Is there a Serial # on the foilcal with an A letter suffix after? I would suspect a replacement Foilcal would have no serial # at all unless someone went through the trouble to transfer such

The first version "Jubal" as you say didn't have the Port on the bottom of the front Baffle. And the Jubal should have the 126A Bass Driver, and appropriate Crossover network to match.
 
Unusual.
Yes, possible the Foilcal was replaced. One common reason why was perhaps to replace-repair bad L-Pads.

Is there a Serial # on the foilcal with an A letter suffix after? I would suspect a replacement Foilcal would have no serial # at all unless someone went through the trouble to transfer such

The first version "Jubal" as you say didn't have the Port on the bottom of the front Baffle. And the Jubal should have the 126A Bass Driver, and appropriate Crossover network to match.
Thank you for your reply. The photo I have from the seller's post is not very clear. I'll ask the seller for a clearer photo. In fact, I'll go to see the speakers on Saturday. Is there anything I should look out for or need to check? Please let me know, much appreciated :)
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20240206_204042_LINE.jpg
    Screenshot_20240206_204042_LINE.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 13
You are correct, the L65 Jubal (first version) has the port at the top, the L65A and L65B have the woofer raised and the port at the bottom.

The L65A and L65B will have an A or a B suffix on the serial number.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 14
You are correct, the L65 Jubal (first version) has the port at the top, the L65A and L65B have the woofer raised and the port at the bottom.

The L65A and L65B will have an A or a B suffix on the serial number.
Thank you for the info. Are there any transition model between L65 and L65A the could have the port at the bottom but with the Jubal tag?
 
Not that I'm aware of.

See the attachment for the different woofer model, and different crossover. If the crossover and woofer can be verified you should know what you have.

As mentioned above it is possible that someone replaced the foilcal, there is at least one vendor that will sell them with your S/N stamped onto the foilcal. Note that the original is called a "foilcal" because it is an actual metal/foil tag, the S/N is stamped into the metal, the A is printed on to the right of the S/N.
 

Attachments

  • l65 variants.gif
    l65 variants.gif
    98.5 KB · Views: 6
You are correct, the L65 Jubal (first version) has the port at the top, the L65A and L65B have the woofer raised and the port at the bottom.

The L65A and L65B will have an A or a B suffix on the serial number.
I just checked the foilcal there's an "A" behide the serial as well. Which makes it more confusing. If this pair trying to be Jubal why put an A there at all.
 
As it doesn't seem that you've committed to these yet, I'll just suggest that you give them a good listen. It would also be interesting to know what you have as a system now for comparison. I'm asking because of the "from Japan" hype. No vintage JBL goes to Japan cheaply, and most never make it back! If you have a lot of familiarity with JBL, you'll know what you're looking for. If this is your first foray, I hope you're not spending so much that you couldn't do better than the L65A. Just curious. Best of luck to you.

:beerchug:
 
As it doesn't seem that you've committed to these yet, I'll just suggest that you give them a good listen. It would also be interesting to know what you have as a system now for comparison. I'm asking because of the "from Japan" hype. No vintage JBL goes to Japan cheaply, and most never make it back! If you have a lot of familiarity with JBL, you'll know what you're looking for. If this is your first foray, I hope you're not spending so much that you couldn't do better than the L65A. Just curious. Best of luck to you.

:beerchug:
I'm very new to vintage JBL, listened to L112 before but somehow L65 caught my attention with the design and the 077 tweeter. For the system I own is only Genelec studio monitor 8040brw. The price tag on it is around $2000 pretty pricey but nice condition. I listened to it on a luxman tube amp, not something I'm used to but playing jazz on them was really nice. The highs are a little upfront the mids and lows are mellow not something I'm used to coming from a Genelec but the track Take Five from Minoru Muraoka sounds way better on the L65a. Thank you for the advice ☺️
 
I'm very new to vintage JBL, listened to L112 before but somehow L65 caught my attention with the design and the 077 tweeter. For the system I own is only Genelec studio monitor 8040brw. The price tag on it is around $2000 pretty pricey but nice condition. I listened to it on a luxman tube amp, not something I'm used to but playing jazz on them was really nice. The highs are a little upfront the mids and lows are mellow not something I'm used to coming from a Genelec but the track Take Five from Minoru Muraoka sounds way better on the L65a. Thank you for the advice ☺️
If it doesn't need the woofer's surrounds replaced and the cabinet is in good shape --- I'd say $2K is a reasonable price.

Being able to pick them up is also a big plus. Shipping can be $$$ and sometimes an adventure that you don't need. :)
 
They were imported from Japan

When I was stationed in Okinawa, I bought a complete stereo system and the DOD shipped it back to the US for free...:)

All of the components, Marantz, Pioneer, Technics, Sony, Akai, were all made in Japan. I had a pair of JBL L26 before I enlisted so if JBL's were available, I certainly would have chosen them over the HPM 100.

Not that it matters in the least, but I'd be skeptical about that "imported from Japan" claim.
 
When I was stationed in Okinawa, I bought a complete stereo system and the DOD shipped it back to the US for free...:)

All of the components, Marantz, Pioneer, Technics, Sony, Akai, were all made in Japan. I had a pair of JBL L26 before I enlisted so if JBL's were available, I certainly would have chosen them over the HPM 100.

Not that it matters in the least, but I'd be skeptical about that "imported from Japan" claim.
Are you a Marine?
 
If it doesn't need the woofer's surrounds replaced and the cabinet is in good shape --- I'd say $2K is a reasonable price.

Being able to pick them up is also a big plus. Shipping can be $$$ and sometimes an adventure that you don't need. :)
Shipping big monkey-coffins is to be avoided whenever possible. From a cost aspect and to avoid damage.
I don't deny that you may have to pay up to $2,000 for L65s in nice condition. What I continue to be amazed at is how much vintage JBL you can get for that money that will out-perform the L65 by leaps and bounds.

Not just my opinion. Pick anything in this picture. All but one cost less than half that, and the 250ti still wasn't that much. To each their own but—and I can't tell you how often I've said this with respect to vintage JBLs—do you want the best sound possible, or are you into impressing your friends?
250ti added to basement lineup.jpg

The OP has had Genelec monitors so I know he can appreciate a good speaker and has money. He just hasn't experienced the rest of the array of vintage JBLs in that price range.
Not that he won't enjoy the Jubals! You just can't miss what you don't know.
 
Several guys at work were in the Corps. One not only bought stereo equipment in Okinawa and Japan --- but brought back a wife.

:)
we deployed to the Philippines from Okinawa for jungle training. Two pieces of advice given to all marines and sailors before disembarking the ships...

1) wear a condom
2) never tell a girl "I love you", if you do, the law states you must marry her...

One marine never made it back to the ship for uttering those three words :oops: .......most of the others needed penicillin :rflmao:
 
Shipping big monkey-coffins is to be avoided whenever possible. From a cost aspect and to avoid damage.
I don't deny that you may have to pay up to $2,000 for L65s in nice condition. What I continue to be amazed at is how much vintage JBL you can get for that money that will out-perform the L65 by leaps and bounds.

Not just my opinion. Pick anything in this picture. All but one cost less than half that, and the 250ti still wasn't that much. To each their own but—and I can't tell you how often I've said this with respect to vintage JBLs—do you want the best sound possible, or are you into impressing your friends?
View attachment 3116702

The OP has had Genelec monitors so I know he can appreciate a good speaker and has money. He just hasn't experienced the rest of the array of vintage JBLs in that price range.
Not that he won't enjoy the Jubals! You just can't miss what you don't know.
I've tried the L112 really like them as well but it's sounds a little too modern I guess lol. I like the design of L65 also, feel like it would fit well with my room. Might pick them up and listen to them for a while and might sell them later to explore more JBL. Thank you for your advice
 
When I was stationed in Okinawa, I bought a complete stereo system and the DOD shipped it back to the US for free...:)

All of the components, Marantz, Pioneer, Technics, Sony, Akai, were all made in Japan. I had a pair of JBL L26 before I enlisted so if JBL's were available, I certainly would have chosen them over the HPM 100.

Not that it matters in the least, but I'd be skeptical about that "imported from Japan" claim.
I live in Thailand, not so far from Japan. We import stuff from Japan here all the time, vintage ceramics, electronics, furniture, etc. So I'm not that skeptical.
 
we deployed to the Philippines from Okinawa for jungle training. Two pieces of advice given to all marines and sailors before disembarking the ships...

1) wear a condom
2) never tell a girl "I love you", if you do, the law states you must marry her...

One marine never made it back to the ship for uttering those three words :oops: .......most of the others needed penicillin :rflmao:
Training on the locals is as important as combat. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom