• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Newbie seeking warm and non-fatiguing bookshelves to replace Boston Acoustics A150s under $500?

Ccannon1023

New Member
Hello all.

To understand why I have not yet found an answer to this from a previous thread, let me provide a tiny bit of context: I seriously long for the least fatiguing sound possible from my speakers. After trying a couple different speakers (newer Wharfedale Denton's and vintage Bozaks and KLH's) I thought I had found the sound I was looking for in Original Large Advents. I listen to a lot of classical, jazz, African, soul, etc. and it all sounded wonderful. Then I noticed that when I played modern electronic music the speakers did not seem to be able to handle them that well: sound was a bit too muddy and stretched (best way I can describe it) which sounds especially odd when trying to articulate really precise and dynamic electronic music.

So I tried some Boston Acoustics A150's and I found them far more capable of portraying the more technical and interesting elements in modern electronic music while not being too fatiguing. I ultimately find them more tiresome than the Advents but they have made me happy for a couple years nonetheless. Now, I am moving into a new house and wanting something that takes up less room.

Does anyone have a recommendation for true bookshelves (modern or vintage) that will really not tire my ears but still be able to keep up with modern electronic music?

Thanks so much.
 
Register to hide this ad
Now, I am moving into a new house and wanting something that takes up less room.

Not sure I understand this, unless you mean speakers so small they don't really produce bass and can be literally placed on a bookshelf.
Aren't you able to place them close to the wall like other A series BA speakers?
 
Does anyone have a recommendation for true bookshelves (modern or vintage) that will really not tire my ears but still be able to keep up with modern electronic music?

Not sure if this is helpful, but I am currently trying to go thru my collection of tuners to thin the herd. I found one that I decided to sell and then tried it with classical music and found that it was very transparent and articulate at least with the bookshelf speakers I am using. That led me to decide to sell the tuner I had been using that sounded very good with classic rock. I put the transparent speakers in my stack and started using it for all types of music I listen to. I found it to be way too transparent for classic rock. I could hear every note of distortion in the classic rock music. Decided to keep both tuners, I guess! Maybe you need to play around more with other components, not just speakers. I think to focus just on the speakers might keep you from finding the best solution to your situation. You might find that playing around with other possibilities in the component chain might be fruitful. For example if you listen to vinyl, it might be easier to just change out cartridges to find one that is more articulate sounding for the electronic music.
 
NHT Super One's would fit the bill. Not quite as warm sounding as the Boston's, but they are very smooth, detailed and not at all bright. I have a pair of the original's that I like a lot. There is also a new, made in China 2.1 version that, IME does not sound as good as the original, made in the USA version (I bought a pair, and quickly returned them).

They can found on ebay, very reasonable priced.
 
Last edited:
Boston Acoustics A150s are very smooth and relaxed. At least the Series 1 version I heard. They'll be hard to replicate in a smaller speaker. One I would recommend is the Kef LS3/5A. Small, but with a warm balance, with a mid bass bump, that gives them a sense of having decent bass. May be hard to find, though worth the search.
 
I second the NHT SuperOne's. I currently have 3 pairs throughout the house.

Sealed enclosure which can provide tighter and more control than a ported design with the compromise of slightly lower bottom end extension. A small powered sub will help filling in the very bottom end if necessary.

The soft dome tweeter is smooth amd detailed but never harsh.

The original "V1" are definitely better than the later "V2".

Relatively inexpensive and regularly available, if you decide you don't like them they would be easy to resell.
 
I also recommend NHT if you're looking for smaller form factor. If you want something a little bigger but not a floor stander, you might consider Tekton Mini Lore's. They're a little more than your limit, but they're very good.
 
I worry the A/D/S 300 series would not meet your expectations for EDM use. I don’t think of them as ‘high volume’ stars. They are certainly wonderful at most things, however!
 
Back
Top Bottom