• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Next logical "step up/upgrade" from Technics 80's sound?

Can someone with better skills please clarify...

To me it does look like the loop is before the tone controls however. But I have no skill in reading these things. I was going to upload the entire service manual so you could see the whole thing but it was too large of a file...

Here is a larger photo of the same thing.

Screenshot at 2021-03-14 09-44-10.png
 
Last edited:
My Carver C-16 preamp has two tape loops AND a processor loop so three loops does make sense. It also has two main outputs so there's that also.

It's not typical for equalizer loops, processor loops etc to be AFTER the volume control so are fixed outputs, not something I would advise connecting an amplifier to UNLESS the amplifier has its own gain controls.

If the power amp has gain controls you could try connecting the amp with the gain controls at their minimum, then with the Technics volume at minimum output and a source playing slowly increase the gain on the power amp and see if there's any signal, if so it's a fixed output and not what you want.
 
Looks pretty obvious to me the signal from all the sources once selected closes the contact for that source and goes directly through the processor loop so ya, not the place to connect a power amp.
 
@Grenadeslio @coonmanx
@sqlsavior Thanks.
So I gather try out the Tape Loops option to the 2nd unit vs the EQ Ins (not a pre).

I have read Both opinions that the Pre-amp colors most of the sound quality and also that the Power amp colors most of the sound quality?

Open ended debate about sound preference coloring or is there some actual logic and reason to be shared here, please?

My preference would be to use the beastly V6Xx as the power amp and to use the other unit (maybe the R210) as the Control volume selector etc. Is it possible to use the R210 as a Pre and still use its Tuner, too?
 
@Grenadeslio @coonmanx
@sqlsavior Thanks.
So I gather try out the Tape Loops option to the 2nd unit vs the EQ Ins (not a pre).

I have read Both opinions that the Pre-amp colors most of the sound quality and also that the Power amp colors most of the sound quality?

Open ended debate about sound preference coloring or is there some actual logic and reason to be shared here, please?

My preference would be to use the beastly V6Xx as the power amp and to use the other unit (maybe the R210) as the Control volume selector etc. Is it possible to use the R210 as a Pre and still use its Tuner, too?
tape loop option won't work to connect a power amp either, you need a pre out for that unless as I stated earlier the power amp has gain controls. But keep in mind this will also bypass all tone controls etc along with the volume control.
 
I have read Both opinions that the Pre-amp colors most of the sound quality and also that the Power amp colors most of the sound quality?

Open ended debate about sound preference coloring or is there some actual logic and reason to be shared here, please?
Conventional wisdom suggests that transparency is especially important in a preamp/line stage, because any coloration or veiling will apply to every source. Taming shrill speakers with a dull preamp my be fine - until you change speakers. If you want to wear rose-colored glasses, however, the preamp would be the component to put them on. IME, power amps all sound different, too, and of course they affect every source as well. Conventional wisdom also suggests matching the power amp to the speakers, but there is another school of thought that a really good amplifier is what separates real hi-fi from pretending, and that such should be able to drive any speaker, with the only question being whether it goes loud enough, cleanly. But these days, even chip amps can sound really good.

Passive preamps (essentially just a volume control) with no active circuitry and thus no power cord, became very popular as lower-voltage vinyl sources were replaced with the 2 volt CD specified output. Here is a low-cost example: https://www.schiit.com/products/sys
With the Sys as a volume control, you could use the EQ-out jacks into the Sys, then on to a power amp, for instance. Here's a pricier, but still reasonable example:
https://khozmo.com/stereo_selector.html

Magnetic passive preamps, aka transformer volume controls are another, more exotic option. I have one, but the source selector switch needs attention. You may surmise that I like passive preamps.

Here would be a totally different preamp direction to take: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fx-audio-6j1-tube-preamp-a-31-wonder.848535/
 
If you want to explore the next level seriously, just stop with antique equipment and look into separates from the modern era. Nobody who goes that route ever looks back.
 
Greeting Moose!
I also had this same thinking (what's next) after completing my full Technics system. I had the SU-V6, SL1200 and the SB-F75 speakers as a starting point. After I got the other Technic gears (CD player, Tuner, Tape Deck, Equalizer), I decided to change the speakers and was able to get a pair of SB4500. I think this upgrade provides the best value, as in my experience it made a huge difference in the sound quality of the whole system. I knew then that my Technics system would be staying with me.

In the past month, I decided I wanted to try a different sound. Not so much of an upgrade, but rather just a diversion. I got a vintage Scott 222 tube amp. It is not as powerful, but it does give a different flavor. I paired it with a pair of Klipsch KG 5.5 and I am liking what I hear. A more warm, mellow sound which I appreciate on certain days.

So I have two systems I am enjoying now (for not a whole lotta cash) and I switch depending on my mood or the kind of music I wanna play. I don't think one system is better than the other. Apples and oranges. Something to think about.
 
@Einstein2003 @B Side Many thanks people! As a matter of fact I just picked up a last second, no real thought put into it, splurge on a ST-9030 tuner...shipping was was much as the final price of the beautiful tuner itself...who says "no" to that?!?
 
And I now have a beaten up slightly suspect looking SE-9060 on it's way to me for more fun swapping out components...

Will start cheap and tryi the 9060 out with the technics sa-r210 as preamp and continue searching for 2nd 9060 for mono block scenario and matching 9070 controller...
 
Back
Top Bottom