• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nice Electrohome 6CA7/EL34, ultimate console amp ? ;^)

diamondsouled

Recycle belly button lint!

Attachments

  • Electrohome 6CA7 amp.JPG
    Electrohome 6CA7 amp.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 329
  • Electrohome 6CA7 amp. #2.JPG
    Electrohome 6CA7 amp. #2.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
good eyes Redboy... strange they do that, then run the wires all the way across the chassis to the rectifiers..
 
That layout's a bit weird, don't you think, Lar? Is that the choke opposite the rectifier tubes?!

You're right Nate. Mmmm. Not sure about the reasoning though. Probably to make the lay out of the tubes symmetrical? Looks as though it would have been a bit of a tight squeeze to put the choke inside the chassis.

There is this Electrohome EL84 amp that has a similar layout. No choke though.

Cheers

Lar
 

Attachments

  • Electrohome EL84 amp.JPG
    Electrohome EL84 amp.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Electrohome EL84 amp #5.JPG
    Electrohome EL84 amp #5.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 108
I'm not going to second-guess their designs - those old engineers usually had good reason for their layout choices.

Lar, if you stumble on that EL84 version before you find your holy grail, you can punt it my way. I'd settle...
 

I'd say the conclusion says it all.

"Victory or defeat military strategists are common, ring contest the victory of the proceeds, it may be defeated develop their long-actions, without too much mind that if two heroes contest forced onto Taiwan, cruel, non-I do; but to point out that line into account by different means on the take and care, in the voices of superiority and inferiority, as a sound knowledge and technology is designed to make reference, should always have the "right things wrong" and "right reason not machine" objective state of night."

Exactly! He hit it right on the head.
 
I'd say the conclusion says it all.

"Victory or defeat military strategists are common, ring contest the victory of the proceeds, it may be defeated develop their long-actions, without too much mind that if two heroes contest forced onto Taiwan, cruel, non-I do; but to point out that line into account by different means on the take and care, in the voices of superiority and inferiority, as a sound knowledge and technology is designed to make reference, should always have the "right things wrong" and "right reason not machine" objective state of night."

Exactly! He hit it right on the head.

Sounds like something from I Ching!

Gotta love those Google translations of Chinese:banana:

Cheers

Lar
 
I'm not going to second-guess their designs - those old engineers usually had good reason for their layout choices.

Lar, if you stumble on that EL84 version before you find your holy grail, you can punt it my way. I'd settle...

Me too, it has a certain look to it.

I've seen a couple others which were different versions. There was one of them on ePay just recently but the guy was asking too much. They have OTs without bells as well and dio't look nearly as nice as this one. I shudda bid on it but missed the end of the auction :^(. It went for around $150. :tears:

After taking a closer look at the other version it looks as though they are older and use a different rectifier tube: U50s, where the newer version uses EZ81/6CA4s.

Unfortunately you can't lift pictures from ePay any longer. Here's the ended auction so you can see pics of the earlier version:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ELECTRO...s_R2?hash=item20ad59a4c2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Cheers

Lar
 
Last edited:
Unfortunately you can't lift pictures from ePay any longer. Here's the ended auction so you can see pics of the earlier version:

Yeah, I noticed that too, bummer:(
You can take A screen shot of the picture using the (Prt Scr SysRq) key on your
keyboard and run the Paint program that comes standard with Windows then use
your control + V key to paste the pic in the Paint program or go to the edit tab at
the left top of Windows Paint and select paste.
Now you should be able to see the pic in paint from there you can crop and save
to your hard drive or flash drive:)
 
You can take A screen shot of the picture using the (Prt Scr SysRq) key on your keyboard... from there you can crop and save

If you hold down the ALT key while you press the Print Screen key, it only captures the active window. Might save a little trouble in cropping...
 
Or on your mac do a print of the picture window in safari and then send it to preview instead. At that point you can get pdf or crop and save as jpeg, tiif etc. :)

mike
 
After reading the above ebay picture tips I decided to finally find something quick and easy to grab pictures. After some messing around I finally decided to use the Screengrab add-on for Firefox. All it takes is clicking the screengrab icon, clicking selection, highlighting the picture and typing in a filename. Only takes a few seconds. Here's my first grab.

ampexel34ebay.jpg
 
If anyone has some info or pics about Electrohome gear let me know in a PM, thanks!

Cheers

Hi,
They made some wild futuristic looking solid state gear in the late 60's and 70's. Then I stopped seeing anything by them. The last thing I saw with their name on it was an 8 track recorder / player.
Your power amp is very similar to a Dynaco ST70. Not quite the same quality of iron, but the design is similar. This power amp really outclassed other console preamps as did their smaller EL84 one. The power supply in this amp is very robust, which is typical of console power amps since they were designed to not only power the power amp but also a tuner and preamp.
So, when you use it as a stand alone power amp, you get the benefit of a very stiff B+ from the power supply. This is why many of these amps seem to perform so good even though many have less then perfect output transformers. Your amp is a really good one. I would suggest rebuilding it with new power supply capacitors, coupling capacitors and any bias components (cathode resistors and capacitors if cathode biased or bias rectifier and filter capacitors if fixed bias).
Do a search on Ebay and every now and then you will see Electrohome gear for sale. They had this cool little round radio with two round satellite speakers. They had other stuff like this. Looked like something out of the "Jestons".
 
After reading the above ebay picture tips I decided to finally find something quick and easy to grab pictures. After some messing around I finally decided to use the Screengrab add-on for Firefox. All it takes is clicking the screengrab icon, clicking selection, highlighting the picture and typing in a filename. Only takes a few seconds. Here's my first grab.
Installed that Screengrab add-on, easy to use and works great.
Thanks for sharing that.
 
<hijack!>

Grab big pictures in Firefox;

1. After viewing the big photo (to load it into the browser cache), right click on the page and do 'View Page Info'
2. In the new window that opens there's a row of icons along the top, click the one that says 'Media'
3. Look for your image (of type 'image') and when you find it, make use of the 'Save As' button.
4. ...
5. Profit!

Hope that helps you guys that don't want to install additional software :) Works for every site that employs image protection, even Flickr! ;)


</hijack!>
 
I have the amplifier in the op's pics, the 6ca7 slave amp. I was wondering if anyone has some experience biasing this beast. She sure is a nice pull for a console and some serious heft on the transformer side of things.
 
They had this cool little round radio with two round satellite speakers. They had other stuff like this. Looked like something out of the "Jestons".

I used to have one of those. It looked like a white weber grill on a single pedestal with a flared base. The top was a smoked plastic dome and if I remember correctly half of it flipped open. Inside was a am fm stereo and turntable. Had the spherical satellite speakers. Pretty cool it was.
 
I have the amplifier in the op's pics, the 6ca7 slave amp. I was wondering if anyone has some experience biasing this beast. She sure is a nice pull for a console and some serious heft on the transformer side of things.

Do you know the model of the console it came out of? I have a few Electrohome service manuals which might outline the procedure a bit more clearly.

Cheers

Lar
 
Back
Top Bottom